Driving Home for Christmas
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2014 by DeYaKen

Drama Sex Story: Chapter 10 - On the journey home, a man remembers Christmases gone by.

Caution: This Drama Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Cheating   Safe Sex  

"What? What's the problem?

Brenda Lee was on the radio, "Rocking around the Christmas Tree."

"You really aren't very good company today. When you're not asleep, you're in a world of your own and nothing gets in or out. You're nearly home. We're going to see your children and your grandson. You should be happy."

"I'm sorry, I know you're right it's events of the past coming back to haunt me. It amazing how many significant events in my life have happened at or around Christmas."

"I know that, but you have to put it behind you. I want to see you with a smile on your face when we get there."

"I will don't worry. Is that all you wanted to say?"

"No it isn't, we're coming to the end of the M2. Is it best to continue onto the A299 or should I turn off and go down the A2 down towards Canterbury?"

"It's as broad as it is long. I usually take the A2, then turn off for Aylesham. It's no shorter I just like driving through Wingham."

"OK, that's the way we'll go." She looked over at me. "Are you sure you're alright? We can always stop somewhere for you to get your head together."

"No I'm fine, honestly."

She gave me a worried look. "So what's got you so absorbed, that you can't even talk to me?"

"If I said it was the funeral what would you say?"

"I'd tell you to stop dwelling on the past. You were not to blame for any of it."

"I know that, it's just that the inquest was last December so Christmas was a bit rough to say the least."

"Oh Yes, I see now. It must have been quite a challenge."

"It was, but we're over it now. This year should be much better. I've got you."

She reached over and squeezed my hand. "That's right you have, you old charmer."

Boney M started singing Mary's Boy Child. As the end of motorway signs came into view, I relaxed back into the seat and let her handle the driving.


Penny's death shook us all up. David and Phoebe were devastated at the loss of their mother and while I tried to hold it together for them, it hurt me deeply. It's hard saying goodbye to more than twenty years of your life without a tear or two. Because there were no signs of foul play, the body was released for internment within a couple of days. We held the funeral down in Kent where the children and the rest of her family could attend. Penny's two sisters seemed reluctant to talk to me. I'd heard them talking, There were rumours of suicide and, of course I must have driven her to it. I ignored them but David picked up on it. He was furious and interrupted the wake to deal with it.

"I'm sorry to spoil the occasion for you all but there are rumours circulating in this room that must be put to rest. My mother, Penny, had an accident, she slipped and fell. She did not commit suicide. For what it's worth she was ill and dad did all he could to look after her."

He looked around the group and his gaze settled on his two aunts. He continued to speak and it was obvious who the speech was aimed at. "My dad did the best he could for mum, maybe more than she deserved. He certainly did more for her than any of those walking around today talking behind their hands. There will be an inquest in two weeks in Penrith anybody interested is welcome to attend. In the mean time if you want to spread your rumours then you'll have to do it elsewhere because you won't be welcome around Phoebe and me."

By the time he'd finished both women had red faces and soon found reasons to leave. I can honestly say that I'd never been prouder of him. Not because he was defending me but because he was standing up for what he believed to be right.

The inquest was all over in a day. The doctor confirmed that he had been treating Penny for depression and that the condition would impair her judgement. The mountain rescue leader told the coroner about the weather conditions and how easy it would have been for Penny to take the wrong path and put herself in danger. The coroner handed down a verdict of Death by Misadventure.

That Christmas was a quiet affair, with all of us feeling the empty space at the table. Of course little Harry running around and Alison's new bump took our minds off it to some extent. I felt that I was getting more attention than normal. When the time came for me to leave I understood why, both David and Phoebe came out to see me off. David gave me a big hug.

"Look after yourself Dad, I can't afford to lose you aswell."

"You've got no worries on that score." I told him

Phoebe got in on the act; she came up and took both my hands in hers. "What David means is that we know mum's death has hit you harder than you're letting on. I wish you weren't living so far away, all on your own."

"I'm not on my own; I've got Bonnie to keep me company."

"Dad, you know what I mean. Promise me you'll consider moving back here. I'd feel a lot happier having you around and young Harry loves his grandpa."

I promised I would look into it, and set off. Bonnie was delighted to see me, and I spent New Year at the Black Lion, among my friends. Molly seemed to be spending more time with me. Nothing untoward she still remained faithful to her husband but she often came around to see me just for a chat. I found myself spending more time in the pub. I put on a little weight but at least I wasn't lonely.

It was late March when I got the call that was to change my life again. I'd just got back from walking Bonnie on a Saturday morning. The phone was ringing when I walked through the door. I picked it up expecting to hear Phoebe's voice. Instead I got the upper class tones of Lady Caroline.

"Drew, I'm so glad I caught you. Can I say first of all how sorry I am to hear about your loss?"

"You certainly can say it Caroline, in fact I think you just did. But you didn't call me just to say that. What can I do for you Caroline?"

"Still the same old Drew; straight to the point as usual. Yes you're right I have got a favour to ask. When are your Easter Holidays and have you got plans?"

"Well term finishes on Friday, and I'm supposed to be spending a week with David."

"Oh good, I wonder, could I ask you to do me a favour in the other week. You remember you said that the houses at Oituz needed insulating well? Well I've got a crew going out to do that this summer but we are also replacing the windows with new double glazed uPVC framed ones."

"So that's in the summer what do you want now."

"All the windows are being made to order here, but the manufacturers don't believe the measurements we gave them, no two windows are the same."

"Come on Caroline, this is rural Romania we're talking about, It's highly likely that no two windows are the same. No such thing as standardisation out there."

"Yes, Yes, I know all of that, but I need someone I can trust to verify the measurements. I'll pay all your expenses I just need you to fly in check all the measurements and come back. I'll have someone pick you up at Adjud. Can you do it Drew?"

"Yes, I can do it, if it would help you out."

"Oh thank you Drew. I knew I could depend on you."

The tickets arrived on Wednesday morning and by Saturday morning I was winging my way to Bucharest. At 8.45 PM I got off the train at Adjud. I walked into the station building and put my bag down and looked around me. I didn't see anyone I recognised so sat down and waited.

"Get your shit together soldier; it's time to move out."

Her voice delighted me just as it always had. I got to my feet grabbed my bag and turned to face her.

"Hello Drew, how are you?"

"Sephie! Are you a sight for sore eyes?"

She wrapped her arms around me and gave me kiss on the lips followed by a warm hug. "God it's good to see you Drew. Come on. The Land Rover is outside let's get you to Oituz, and into a bed."

I grinned and she slapped my arm. "You know what I mean."

We got in the Land Rover and set off. I watched her as she drove. I couldn't put my finger on it but something was different. She had a sadness about her. We chatted about how things were in Oituz, and what I was sent out to do.

"What happened to us Drew? We're supposed to be friends, but I hardly hear from you. A Christmas card and birthday card every year and that's about it. I even had to hear about Penny from Caroline."

"I don't know, we both seemed to have less to say to each other and I was always conscious that Clifford was with you. It just didn't seem right having the intimate conversations with a married woman."

For a moment I felt as though I'd said something I shouldn't have, she got a distant look in her eyes and I was glad of the lack of traffic.

"Anyway you were just as bad. You could have called or written to me. It's a two way thing you know."

She reached over and squeezed my hand.

"Never mind you're here now, and we can do some serious catching up."

I hadn't eaten since getting off the plane, and my stomach was rumbling.

"Is the pizzeria still open in Onesti? I'm starving."

"Yes I think so, do you want to stop?"

"Only if you'll eat and have a beer with me."

She reached out and squeezed my hand. "You know I've always got time for you."

Once in the pizzeria we ordered our food and sat down with a beer. I sat and watched her.

"What's up Seph? Why are you here?"

"What makes you think something is wrong?"

"I'm looking at you, wondering where the brightness has gone. Last time I saw you, you were bright eyed and full of life. Now I see someone who looks on the verge of tears. Something's wrong, and I think you need to talk to someone, so here I am."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.