Army Life in the 70's - Cover

Army Life in the 70's

Copyright© 2014 by Dreaded

Chapter 2: A Helping Hand

We had been working in Mozambique for some time, Patrolling and observing the gooks and Freds ... The 4 of us were skulking around the confluence of the Nuanetse and Limpopo near a town called Mapia that was later taken out in a big way ... We were trying to put together defensive points, patrols and patterns in the area ... We had been there for about 3 weeks and one day we observed an armed Gook wading across the river to an Island and start fishing...

After a long discussion among us we decided this was an ideal opportunity to capture some one to get up to date information and after a brief discussion with the Boss we were given the go ahead – I was warned that there were no Choppers available for hot extraction and air support would be very limited as it was all being used up North ... The next day we watched as the Gook took up position at his favorite fishing spot ... I stripped off all my kit and carrying just my 45 and rope did a wide loop stealth approach to the island while my guys covered me from cover...

I was in the final 15m of my approach when the Gook must have had some sixth sense warn him and he jumped up and opened up in my direction ... Now I was pretty well hidden under hanging branches but my guys, bless them, opened up on the Gook hitting him several times but, don't ask me how, he seamed to walk on water as he gapped it leaving a long trail behind ... O well we were well compromised now so time to walk home ... We kitted up and started quickly moving back to our border which was a fair distance away – I stopped the guys after about an hour and we set up to have a rest break – about 5 minutes into our break we were attached by what seamed to be most of the Frelemo and Gook army – shit – 4 against 400 – What now Tonto?

We had a good defensive position but we were starting to run a little low on ammo but luckily the PRAW came up over head with the Boss on board ... He also got the shit shot out of him and he withdrew to orbit over the border ... We were in serious serious shit ... A few minutes later a strange Call sign called me and asked if he could be of assistance – my reply was "Hell yes I am Being handed my arse" – Now I realized this was probably Jet top cover, you can hear it from their voice talking in to an Oxygen Mask, so I started my talk in – A talk in to Jets is not that difficult, you just have to imagine what he can see from 20000ft ... Now I had a bloody great day glow panel laid out in an open area next to us for ID...

A few minutes later this voice came up on the air – "We have you Visual will call when turning in live, correct for number 2 please" the voice was very familiar so I thought some one had sprung some Hunters for me but the Reaction time just was to short – I mean we were only about 6 Minutes into the Contact and flying time from Gwelo was at least 15 minutes ... About a minute later I heard on the Radio, "Turning in Live, 5 second to strike" – We still had not seen or heard any thing but six seconds later a Streak of Jet shot out of the sky and with rockets and guns Peppered the Freds ... I shouted "On Target" and the second plane came down as we were hit by the noise of the first ... They were bloody Mirages!!!!! Let me tell you that the most frightening noise in the world is the sound of a Mirage, going well past the sound barrier, going over your head ... Shit even I buried my head in the sand ... We hopped up and shit did we start running...

My friendly voice from above told me he was monitoring behind me and he would dwell for only 5 minutes but that other help would arrive to assist after that – I actually couldn't care less – I was wearing my Day Glow sheat like a Bat man cape at that stage and he said he still had me visual – Those guys must have had eyes like bloody Vultures – We couldn't even see or hear him – mind you our hearing was pretty stuffed any way ... After a few minutes running my guardian came on air and told us to take cover as we had a seriously large tail developing and that I could loose the Day Glow ... We hit the Ground, covered our ears and the second strike went in...

A call from my angel said they were leaving but other top cover would be with us in a few minutes ... We ran, shit did we run ... from nine in the morning till 6 in the evening when we reached the Border fence – the Hunters arrived and administered Frantan (Napalm) and one or two bombs and rockets to cover our arses over the course of the day ... Our trucks were waiting for us at the fence and we left and returned to base...

We dumped most of our kit except for rifles and ammo but made sure that what ever was dumped gave whoever picked it up a surprise...

Mapai was leveled a month later and we again patrolled the area for some time...

I will never ever forget that sound of a Mirage – Sweet like a lemon Ek Se...

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.