A Chance Encounter... or Was It? - Cover

A Chance Encounter... or Was It?

Copyright© 2014 by Memorable Event

Chapter 1

The Regent Hotel, Singapore

A personal hand-written note in Kevin's suite reminded him of a guest reception that evening in the lobby bar. This weekly tradition at the Regent was well known and well attended by the invited VIP guests and hotel management. Kevin stayed at the Regent several times each year and was always welcomed like a close friend by the hotel limo driver at the Changi Airport. The doorman greeted him by name as he arrived for check-in. They knew him well.

Unlike at most hotels, the reception staff welcomed him with completed documentation that required only his signature before walking to his suite. It was usually the same suite each time because he mentioned a few years earlier how much he liked it. From that moment, it was his if at all possible. Such was the way of the Regent. Their customer service was legendary and Kevin always knew they appreciated his business and that of his customers and employees.

Arriving at the reception, Kevin was greeted by Sharon Tan, the customer service manager whose enthusiastic welcome was accompanied by a prepared name tag and quick introductions to the other guests and staff. Sharon had been in that role for at least three years, having risen through the hotel management hierarchy. Mr. Lim, the hotel manager, always greeted Kevin with a warm handshake. His English name was also Kevin and they had enjoyed that common bond over the past few years.

The reception was well attended that evening and Kevin spent time networking to learn who there might be a future customer or, heaven forbid, a competitor. As he worked his way among the guests, he glanced down the bar to a woman sitting alone and chatting with Ramon, the bartender. She appeared familiar but he couldn't remember how or where he had met her. Even as he chatted with other men and a few women, he continued to glance her way and struggle with his 58-year-old memory bank.

Kevin was positive he had met her and it frustrated him to have forgotten the details. Her beauty was breathtaking. Her very long and lustrous blonde hair reached the small of her back. Her profile revealed a curvy body that was fit, even athletic. She wore a long cocktail dress, maybe a little too dressy for this evening, with a slit up the side that revealed most of her tanned shapely leg. He worked his way closer and finally could hear her East coast American accent and easy laugh that he should recall, but from where?

Erin first noticed him as he approached. She recognized him but it had been years and she couldn't remember the details. He was very handsome, like the Marlboro man, tall and fit with snow-white hair and the easy mannerisms one has from self-confidence rather than ego. She turned to face him and smiled.

"Excuse me," he said. "I know this is the oldest pickup line of all time, but have we met before?" He grinned as she smiled with the sexiest dimples he had seen.

Erin glanced at his nametag. "We have met, Kevin, but I'm struggling to remember where," she replied. "My name is Erin Johnson." She gazed at his eyes, easily the most sensitive and expressive she had seen. She remembered them but from where?

"I'm delighted to see you again, Erin."

She offered her hand, which he took before continuing. "Now let's figure this out. You're obviously American and so am I. I live in Alexandria, Virginia."

Erin grinned and replied, "Now we're getting closer. I live in Bethesda, Maryland. Have we met at a party? For some reason, in the fog of my memory I see you in the company of a young lady." She pointed to the bar stool next to her. "Please have a seat."

Kevin sat and turned to her. "A young lady? Hmm, let me think. My daughter and I often did things together on weekends when I'm there. She's now 26."

"What are some of the things you did?"

"We went to museums, concerts, restaurants and on photo outings. We both have the photography bug."

"That's it!" Erin exclaimed with wide-open eyes. "You two were in a photography class I taught a few years ago."

Kevin jokingly slapped his forehead. "You're right. You're the National Geographic photographer that blew my mind for two days about four years ago. I think I learned more about lighting and positioning for a shot from you than I thought possible. Laura, my daughter, and I still talk and try to remember all the little tips you shared that weekend."

Erin smiled. "Thank you. It's good to know that someone paid attention."

"What brings you to Singapore?" he asked.

"Assignment. The yellow book hasn't looked at Singapore in many years and the editor sent me to shoot for an article that was recently written. It'll be published in three months. What about you? It's a long way from Virginia."

"I have business interests that require my presence several times a year."

"This was my first visit here. It's a lovely country. Almost like living inside a greenhouse; but the heat and humidity saps my energy. Do you get used to it?"

"I don't but obviously the locals do. How long have you been here?" Kevin asked.

"This is my sixth day. Headed home tomorrow night."

"You came all this way for one shooting assignment?" he asked.

"Oh no, I've been in the region a month. Spent five days in Kyoto, seven in Hong Kong, and nine in Vietnam before coming here. We have articles on each of those coming out within the next nine months."

"You must have a fascinating life." Kevin replied.

"I suppose. How much longer are you here?" Erin asked as she locked onto his eyes. They were alive with energy, she thought.

"Two days, then home. I was in Germany last week and France the week before. Can you join me in this little reception at the end of the bar? Drinks are free down there."

"Sure. Thanks."

Kevin called Ramon over and arranged to cover Erin's bar bill. Leaving a S$10 gratuity assured the drinks would be listed on his account where they always disappeared at checkout. Erin was surprised by this gesture but knew not to argue. She smiled and took his arm as they walked to the VIP end of the bar. Her next few hours were now going to be interesting she thought.

"Sharon, I have a friend from the States. This is Erin Johnson. Can she join our little party?"

"Of course, Mr. Larkin. Let me prepare a nametag."

Erin accompanied Kevin as they worked the room visiting with others there on business or pleasure. The other men admired this lovely lady who wore a revealing black dress and wished for Kevin's good fortune to be in her presence. Her 5'9" stature was rare in Asia, as was her impressive figure and natural blonde hair.

Kevin's 6'2" frame towered over the Asian businessmen and travelers. His white hair was unusual in that society, as was his ramrod straight back and muscular physique.

Erin glanced at Kevin many times as they walked and talked with the others. She was enamored by both his appearance and genteel personality. He had that same effect on her four years earlier and even though that feeling had slowly faded, it roared back to life this evening.

After an appropriate time of meeting and greeting, Kevin turned to Erin and whispered, "How about dinner?"

"I'd love it; but I must warn you I promised my niece I'd bring home a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt from each country I visited. This is the last one for this trip."

"You're in luck. It's just a quick walk from here."

"We don't have to eat there if you prefer another place," she responded.

Kevin replied, "It's actually a good place for burgers, BBQ and sandwiches. It's been a couple of years since I was last there. Let's go."

"Can I run up and change into jeans? That might be more appropriate."

"Of course. I'll just wait here."

She smiled and walked away as he admired her departing visage. Kevin was smitten, just like four years earlier when she walked into the classroom. Although she was several years younger, maybe many years younger, her style and grace and the way she focused her full attention on him as they talked reminded him of his late wife.

Erin returned shortly, smiled and said, "I'm ready. Which way do we go?"

"Out the front door and straight down for a couple of blocks."

He led the way to the lobby entrance where the doorman greeted them and handed Kevin an umbrella. "Mr. Larkin, there's rain expected shortly."

"As usual," Erin added.

Kevin smiled as she took his arm. He caught a whiff of her perfume as they walked through the hotel door.

During their walk, Erin asked, "What happens when you get home this week?"

"I was hoping you might have dinner and see a show with me. Andrea Bocelli is in town at the Kennedy Center and I have tickets if you'd like to go."

"Oh my. He's one of my very favorite singers but I've never seen him live. That would be a dream come true. Do you go to many concerts?"

"Not as often as I'd like. My wife and I had season tickets years ago and I've continued buying them to support the concert series."

"So you're married?"

"She died from cancer. Melanoma."

"Oh no. That's sad. How long ago?"

"Six years. I miss her, especially when I return home from these long trips. It was always like our honeymoon all over again. What about you? Are you married?"

"I was. After six years, we gave up. My travel commitments killed our marriage. I wasn't there more than half the time and he needed more than that. In the end, I had to choose between him and the job. He made it an easy decision by seeing another woman while I was away."

"How long ago?" Kevin asked.

"Eight years and three months."

"It still hurts?"

"Yes, it does. Like you, I have no one to go home to. At least you have a daughter."

"I do but she's married and on her own now."

"She still lives in the D.C. area?"

"Richmond. She was married three years ago and is expecting a baby in five months."

"A proud granddad, I'm guessing." She grinned.

"Exactly. I just wish her mom was here to see it."

"Maybe she is, who knows."

He paused and then replied, "Your right, of course. Who knows?" Kevin and Erin glanced at each other and smiled.

They were quickly seated by a young lady who took their orders for Tiger beer. The local brewery was only a few miles away in Tuas. They chose appetizers of three different kinds of satay and chili crab dip with tortilla chips, both specialties in Singapore. Wisely, they held off ordering other dishes. The finger foods served at the hotel combined with the filling beer, chips and dip made it easy to forego anything else. After another round of Tiger, Kevin and Erin shopped for that perfect t-shirt before returning to the hotel.

"How old is your niece?

"Eleven, going on 16."

"Yeah, they grow up fast."

"She's my brother's daughter. They live in Frederick, Maryland."

"Is he your only sibling?"

"Yeah. He's in real estate. My dad owns an agency and he works there."

"Your parents in good health?"

"Very good. They're in their late sixties. No health issues so far."

They exchanged cell phone numbers and agreed to get in touch once Kevin returned.

As they entered the elevator, Erin turned and thanked him for a lovely evening. She leaned in and kissed his cheek, much to Kevin's surprise. Arriving at her floor, she took his hand and led him off toward her room. She wanted more time with him, he thought.

"Erin, I should go."

"Can't you come in? The night is still young."

"As much as I'd like to, I think that'd be a mistake. Don't get me wrong, you're absolutely gorgeous and I'd love to be with you. But I'd like to build on tonight and see what comes of it."

Erin looked down and nodded.

Kevin took her hand again and added, "I'm very interested in you and I sense you might have an interest in me."

She looked up and smiled.

"I am interested. You make me feel like a woman, not an object."

"An object?"

"Most men aren't interested in more than a night or two."

"I'm not that way."

"I didn't think so but I wanted to make sure."

Kevin smiled and asked, "I passed your test?"

"You did."

He raised her chin into a tender kiss.

"Erin, I promise to be honest with you. You don't need to test me. Just ask me."

She gazed at his smiling face and nodded.

"What time is your flight?" he asked.

"Very late. The plane takes off at 1:10am so I have to be at the airport by 11:30. It goes through London and on to Dulles."

"Oh, so you have all day tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"If I could wrap up my business tomorrow, would you mind me going along on your flight?"

"I'd love to spend that time with you. But I'm in coach and I think it's full."

"Let's make a call and see what's possible. Now, I will go to your room."

Erin smiled and led him there. Once inside, he found the number for Singapore Airlines and called.

"Hi, this is Kevin Larkin. I'm on flight 306 leaving at 1:10am Friday morning. Would it be possible for me to go a day earlier?

"Sure, I'll hold.

"Yes, that'd be fine. Good.

"That's excellent. Thanks.

"Could you also move my traveling companion to the seat next to me? Her name is Erin Johnson and she's booked on that flight.

"Good. Yes. That's fine. Oh good.

"Thanks very much. You always take good care of me.

"I appreciate you and your company.

"Good night."

Kevin smiled as he cradled the phone.

"It's all arranged. I had to move you to first class. Hope you don't mind."

She giggled, "Are you joking?"

"No, of course not. I'm flying all the time and only go first class for these long hauls. She gave us two seats together and you got a free upgrade."

"I can't believe this. I'm always in the cattle car section."

"Not on this trip."

Erin stood and playfully pushed Kevin onto his back on the bed. She sat beside him and leaned in to kiss him fully on the lips. It was just a slow, gentle kiss that delivered energy like a bolt of lightning to both.

"Thank you," she said. "I think I'm going to enjoy hanging out with you."

"Let's have breakfast in the morning," he said. "Call me when you get up."

"I will."

Kevin walked to the door, bid her goodnight and found his way through a haze of emotions to his room. He had a tough time getting to sleep.


Erin woke and immediately thought of the previous evening and the excitement of meeting Kevin again after four years. She recalled that class because of him. He sat on the front row with his daughter and their eyes touched many times as she covered the material, sometimes losing her train of thought as he gazed at her. There was a magnetism she couldn't resist.

At the morning and afternoon breaks, they talked about some of the detail points she'd made; but she had the impression he really just wanted to talk to her. That easy manner of his and the fact he wasn't wearing a ring thrilled her but nothing came of it. Erin would have jumped at the opportunity to have dinner with him; but maybe because his daughter was there, no invitation was forthcoming. She remembered how disappointed she felt when the class ended, leaving a sense of emptiness and missed opportunity.

She reached for the phone and asked the operator for Mr. Larkin's room. On the second ring, Kevin answered.

"Good morning," he said.

"I'm up and starting to stir."

"I've been up a while. Had trouble sleeping."

"Oh."

"Yeah, I had a special lady on my mind."

"Anyone I know?"

"Possibly."

Erin smiled and responded. "I had sweet dreams."

"About anyone I know?"

"I think so."

"Good. How about we meet in 45 minutes in the lobby restaurant?"

"Perfect. I'm surprised I'm actually hungry. I ate way too much last night."

"Me too. I never should have had that second beer."

"Yeah, that stuff is filling. Okay, see you in 45," Erin said before disconnecting.

Kevin arrived a few minutes early and was seated so that he could watch the entrance. The coffee was very rich and bold, requiring a small amount of cream to tame it to his taste. He always enjoyed watching people and this hotel was good for that with many beautiful women working and staying here. The traditional dresses often worn in Singapore were sarongs of colorful fabric representing the flowers and trees that were always in bloom on this tropical island just 85 miles from the equator.

Erin arrived and was escorted to the table. Kevin stood as she approached and watched as the manager seated her.

"You're lovely this morning," Kevin said. She was wearing a colorful summer dress with lots of flashy jewelry.

"Thanks. I'm going to walk once more along Orchard Road and check out a few shops. It's expensive here so I'll probably just look."

"Yeah, the prices in town are for tourists and wealthy shopping visitors from Japan and China. Great merchandise but twice the price of the same item in the States."

"Where do the locals shop?"

"Outside of town, over in Jurong and Tuas on the western end of the island. My plant is over that way."

The server came and took their orders.

"What does your plant make?"

"Plastics. We supply various types of polymer chips that are melted and formed into auto parts, toys, electronic cases, etc."

"Are there many customers here on the island?"

"Only four. Most of the product made here goes to China, Vietnam, South Korea and Japan."

"Why did you build the plant here?"

"Taxes are lower and shipping capabilities from here are world class. Labor cost is not bad but there's not a lot of labor required in making our products."

"You mentioned Germany and France. Do you have plants there?"

"Mostly customers there but we have a large plant near Munich and one near Rotterdam."

"Any other locations?"

"Yeah, two in the States, one in Canada, one in Mexico and two in South America."

"No wonder you travel so much."

"Yeah, too much."

"Is your business structure a corporation?"

"Yes, based in the Netherlands for tax purposes. We're closely held. My dad, who is now 88, owns 30%, my brother Trace owns 10%, my sister Jane owns 10% and I own 40%. The rest is owned in small portions by a number of our most valued employees. Except for dad, we're all heavily involved in the business."

"How old are you?" she asked.

"Now hold on. Did I ask your age?" Kevin frowned as he joked. "Isn't that a little too personal?"

"Then I'll go first. I'm 39, for the first time," Erin replied.

"I'm 58, old enough to be your dad."

"Also young enough for other things," she replied with a devious grin.

"Maybe."

"Oh, I just remembered. I need to check out of my room by noon. Darn it."

"That's no problem. Here's my room key. Have them take your luggage there when you check out. The hotel always lets me keep the room until time to go to the airport ... so make yourself at home. Sharon Tan saw you with me last night so she won't have a problem with it. If she does, have her call me. She has my cell number."

"Jeez, you do have pull. Thanks. I need to work on editing my photos so that'll give me a nice quiet work place."

"Exactly. Just put my work papers to the side and I'll organize them later."

Breakfast was over quickly and it was time for Kevin's driver. He would spend the morning at the plant and the afternoon visiting customers before returning that evening for dinner with Erin. They agreed that Kevin would call the room when he was on the way so she could be ready. They briefly hugged when his driver arrived in the lobby.


Erin returned to her room and dressed in conservative shorts and a chic t-shirt for the shopping excursion. She also packed her belongings and computer to be moved later.

As predicted, she found very few items that were unique, stylish and affordable. One pair of sandals, however, fit her budget and looked great on her. She could wear them with any dark colors and they highlighted her toes and ankles that many men had admired. As the heat of the day and the mid-day pattern of rain clouds approached, Erin returned to the hotel and approached guest services.

"Could I speak with Ms. Sharon Tan, please?"

"Of course, Ms. Johnson." Jeremy called and Sharon arrived shortly.

"Good morning, Ms. Johnson. How can I help you?

"My friend, Kevin Larkin and I are flying very late tonight and he suggested I move into his suite and check out of my room. He gave me his room key."

"That's fine. The hotel policy is that I must get his personal approval for that. Can you wait just a moment? I'll call him."

She returned quickly and instructed the bellman to move Ms. Johnson's luggage to Mr. Larkin's suite. Sharon printed the itemized invoice and Erin checked out of her room before walking with the bellman upstairs.

The transfer occurred quickly and a nice tip sent him away smiling. Sharon had given Erin a second magnetic key just in case it was needed.

She was struck by the size and opulence of the suite. The live orchids, beautiful art, premium furniture and oversize bed were amazing. The bath and Jacuzzi were gigantic. Her employer would never pay for digs like this.

After a quick nap, Erin unpacked a few things needed for the evening and pressed a dress that she wanted to wear for dinner. It was the shortest one she had; and it allowed a perfect view of her long legs that were still firm and fit, a leftover from her swimsuit modeling days when she was in her early 20s. It had taken hard work and many hours in the gym to maintain herself to her standards.

It bothered her for years when men stared at her with obvious lust on their minds. Now she enjoyed their attention at an age when most women's bodies were slipping into middle age sag.

Once ironing was done, Erin opened her computer and moved Kevin's work papers to the bed. Her natural curiosity forced her to glance through them. It was mostly financial investment proposals for the various plant sites and a draft of a legal agreement written in French that appeared to be a sale of some property. Erin's French was rusty, especially when legal terms were involved.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.