Protection and Preservation, Book 09 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 09

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 20

[Charlie writes from the farm]

Elena and Henrique were farmers and, with help from our neighbors, were soon established in a farmhouse with power and began farming with our and their neighbors to help them. They and their children already spoke some English and, over the next few years, they became fluent though with a decided accent that was popular with many. They came to love our church having been casual Catholics before coming to America.

Monica caught the eye of a number of the older men but was only polite. Her main interest was David. David was building a house with Bobbi's help. It would be close to our home but not too close. David had been taught much by his grandmother and was able to absorb large amounts of knowledge quickly and effectively. The five of us were talking one evening.

Andrea said, "David, what did you work on today?"

"The sub-floor is finished and I started upon the stud walls. It's amazing how much lumber is still available for building so many years after the Day. Charles has been a lot of help. I want a house like yours to which I can add as appropriate. He showed me how to do that effectively. Bobbi has been helping, too. I hope she likes it for I want her to live in it with me as my wife."

Bobbi said, "You will have to talk me into marrying you first. David, that won't be easy."

"It may not be easy but it will be worthwhile. You are beautiful, smart, and independent. Everyone knows you and likes you. I know you've shot down some of my competition over the years. I, however, will stay the course. I love you, Bobbi. If you'll be my wife, my life will be complete and I will devote it to making you happy."

"David, you know that I want to travel some more before settling in one spot."

"I understand that, Bobbi. I want to build us a spot that we will want to return to because we built it and it represents our thinking and our love."

"We will talk about this some more." She leaned over and kissed him softly.

Those discussions must have worked out because she was helping him constantly from that day forward. Monica was a great help to us though her emphasis was always on David. She had made a trip to Atlanta and had gone to her two daughters' houses. Both houses were still standing though in bad shape. Grandpop Jack and Grandmother Shirley took her and stayed with her. She made David stay with us though he objected. Bobbi looked at Monica and then told David to drop it because she needed to do it and would return. He never argued about it again. She was gone for a week but returned having closure regarding that part of her family. All had died of the virus very shortly after the Day.

After dinner one evening, there was another discussion of marriage. Bobbi said, "David, do you want to be known as the one who tamed the wildcat?"

He didn't answer immediately. "I don't want that since it wouldn't be true. Wildcats can't really be tamed. However, they can be won through love and patience into a loving relationship. That is my desire. Roberta, I want your love not your submission. You would not be happy submitting. You can be happy loving and being loved." That got him kissed.

From that evening, the relationship and talks between Bobbi and David changed. As the house was completed, so was their relationship. An evening just before the house was complete, they walked in to supper holding hands. Bobbi said, "David and I do now announce our marriage to each other. We will get on the radio tonight to confirm and formalize our marriage." David was grinning ear to ear. Bobbi continued, "If I'm going to live with him, warm his bed, and have his children, I think it's best we're married." She grinned.

Monica was thrilled. She grabbed them hugging and kissing both of them. "I am so happy for you both."

David said, "Grandmother, we haven't talked about it before but the communities of which we are now a part use family names. I haven't had one before. I would like to take Lewis as my family name if you will allow it."

"I will allow it and heartily approve. I am proud to call you, David Lewis. You have made me proud all your life and this is no exception. I've always considered you my grandson in my heart. Now, that will be true in name. I'm happy for both of you."

I said, "Congratulations to you both. It's also net time." We hustled into our radio room and turned the radio on. When the net was called, I checked in saying, "This is Charlie and family with two announcements." Monica, Bobbi, and David looked at me curiously. My great uncle, Ted, was net control this evening. After all the various persons checked in this evening, he returned to me. My parents had checked in as had Andrea's parents. I was thankful for that. I handed the microphone to David.

He said, "This is David Lewis, formerly a resident of Lisbon, Portugal. I want to thank you for welcoming my grandmother and me into the community. My announcement is that Bobbi, Roberta Cook-Thomas-Sullivan, has agreed to be my wife and we make that public announcement with this transmission."

Uncle Ted laughed. "I'm glad to hear the wildcat is finally tamed."

David quickly said, "No, she's not tamed but we love each other and plan to keep each other warm and happy in the house we built close to Andy and Charlie."

Uncle Ted wasn't a bit shy and was known for his sense of humor. "I am still glad to hear that she's found someone who can stand her sufficiently to live with her. Congratulations to the two of you, Bobbi and David Lewis.

"Charlie, what is your other announcement?"

I said, "Andy and I announce that she is pregnant and we will be parents. We ask everyone to pray for us and for this newly married couple, too. Thank you, Uncle Ted."

Ted said, "Congratulations, Andy and Charlie. That's two good, happy announcements from your farm. Thank you for spreading the joy and, on behalf of the net, congratulations to both couples."

There were a few other reports. Bobbi flew Monica and David the next day into Protection to plan a wedding with our parents and Pastor Alan. It would be a sizeable wedding because our family knew so many people. They would honeymoon in Georgia on the small lake that Mom Janice and Dad found years ago on one of their adventures.

During all this time, Andrea and I were getting reacquainted with our farm and animals. We were having a good time being bucolic and looking forward to parenthood. It was a joyous, quiet time. We enjoyed having no pressing responsibilities though Bobbi and David warned us that they expected us to be matron of honor and best man in their wedding.

In his spare time, Bobbi was teaching David to fly. Bobbi had him fly them to Protection and told him that it was time he soloed. While at the airport, he did under Tom's watchful eye. He was approved to fly single engine planes.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.