Protection and Preservation, Book 09 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 09

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 14

[Charles writes from Africa]

We flew out of Gibraltar heading for Algiers on the continent of Africa.

After Europe, we had no real expectations about Africa. It was a big area and we would see only a small portion of it. We would at least get a flavor of what was the current status of northwestern Africa. We landed after a fairly short flight. It was four hundred seventy miles according our calculations. Longer steps would come later.

It was strange to fly east and a little north for our first stop in Africa. The airport is located east and a touch south of the main city. We intentionally over flew the city four times with no results. We brought Duck in for a landing being careful. Everything was deserted and had been. I said, "Scout crew, Dad, no signs of people but be careful. I lean toward refueling and leaving if there is fuel."

"Suits me, Son. We've seen lots of dead cities. Without people or maintenance, this one won't be better just different. Lowering ramp and heading out."

We were all watching and Mallard was flying lazy circles to watch for anything in the distance. It was quiet. I wanted it to stay that way. Testing equipment was standard in the Humvee.

About ten minutes later, Dad called me. "Charlie, this is Dad. We have fuel and it's quiet. Do you or Mel sense anything?

"No, sir. Mom?"

"I could feel the monkeys at Gibraltar but there is nothing here."

"Okay. Stand down. Mallard, come on down. Wind is blowing at maybe five miles per hour from the east. I suggest you use runway five. Scout crew will mark the fueling point. You will go first. I don't think we will stay unless someone has some ideas. If there are, let me know."

We fueled the planes and ate lunch. We took turns eating, fueling, watching, and resting. I was on edge but couldn't figure the reason. Mom Mel felt the same way. We finished fueling and Mallard took off first followed by us in Duck. Nothing happened. Our next stop was Tripoli, another former hotspot. I never did figure out what worried me but wasn't sorry to leave Algiers.

Tripoli was no better but felt more deserted. Apparently, those not killed by the virus shortly after the Day went after each other. They would have done more damage but there was simply no one left to fight or fight with. We gathered that from a notepad from a skeleton found in the terminal. We did find fuel and fed our two big birds. We settled in for the night with many staying on the planes and a few in the terminal. A few were going to sleep outside but it got chilly quickly despite the heat of the day. In the morning, we would leave for Nigeria and our longest single leg.

We flew just a little west of south for almost five hours watching landscape. The desert never had many people ever. Once we left the desert and green began again, I think we were all relieved. We just weren't used to seeing that much continuous dry land. We had seen no signs of human life.

Mom Janice and Dad were flying today. The airport was located and they over flew it. They made another pass very low and things still looked good. Our pass almost resembled a touch and go. It was that slow and low. Once more around, Dad's voice said, "Landing, this time. Guns, deploy. Scout crew, get ready."

We came around and touched down gently, landing in a short space. I could tell it was Mom Janice flying because she liked to get the plane down and slowed once she made that decision. She left the runway and taxied toward the terminal building complex. She had already cut two engines. Her voice said, "Scout Crew, you are go!" The remaining shackles were unfastened as the ramp went down. Andrea started the motor and the four of us pulled out in the Humvee. The remaining two engines of the plane were slowing.

Andrea is a great driver though she tends toward fast. Her argument was that she had rather drive while I thought and directed. It worked so far and let me look at maps or written descriptions that were over twenty years old. We found the fueling area and checked quantity and quality which were both good. "Duck, we have good fuel at our current location. All is quiet. Guns may stand down. Mallard is cleared to land. Wind is calm. Bring Duck over. Scout is clear."

"Duck, roger."

"Mallard, roger."

Andrea's mother was flying Mallard today and we watched her land the big plane. I flew one or in one and had become used to it. However, it still was startling to see one of the big monsters land. The Connie was prettier but the C-130's were more impressive. Duck taxied over and we pulled our equipment out and started the process of refueling. As Scout, we searched over the rest of the airport for whatever could be found that was useful. Based upon the time, sleeping places would be a good idea.

As usual, the terminal was our choice. It was hot and more humid than our last stops. We found a section of the terminal that had been used as a dormitory at one time. The mosquito netting was still hung. Andrea and I looked at each other. Myra said, "I wonder how big the mosquitoes are around here."

Tom chuckled. "Bigger or more numerous, it doesn't matter. We'll need to be covered at night. If I remember correctly, my church was going to involved in a mosquito netting ministry before the Day. Malaria was a real problem among other things." We all nodded. That matched what we had read. We radioed in the information we had and cleared the area for the evening.

We locked the planes and settled in for the night. Our next stop was Timbuktu!

We didn't land. The Sahara had overtaken the place. We could make out the location of the airport and a runway but it wasn't worth the risk to land there. We would fly on to Freetown in Sierra Leone and hope. If we couldn't find a good spot to land and refuel, we would have to make some very hard choices!

Our target was Lungi International Airport at Freetown, Sierra Leone. We scouted around and saw no one. Duck landed. Andrea was piloting. Over the inside and outside radios, I said, "Mallard, scouting party is descending now. Wind is calm. Land from the opposite direction and stop one hundred yards from my nose. Lower your ramp for shooting and rig. No shots unless you are fired upon or my order."

"Mallard copies."

"Scout copies. Good idea, Son."

"Thanks, Mom."

Andrea looked at me questioningly. "Andrea, we're low on fuel. We will have trouble going somewhere else. Let's get everyone on the ground and stop using fuel until we know more. If we had seen signs of people, it would be different."

She grinned at me. "I knew you had thought it through but I hadn't figured all that out. Mom Janice had though." I nodded. Mallard landed and pulled to about one hundred yards in front of us and switched off engines. Our scout party reported no people and no signs of people. Then Dad reported that they found good fuel. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Over the radio, I said, "Very good, Scout. Mallard, taxi to Scout's location and begin filling your tanks. Gun crews are at ease." Mallard cranked two to taxi over. It stopped and switched off. Fueling began quickly. Andrea was looking at her maps. She said, "Charles, dear, there is a beach across the road. We can reach it easily by our vehicles."

I smiled at her. "Let's see how the refueling goes and determine lodging for the night. I think we'll be out of daylight by then. We could always hold over a day here." She nodded. Scout confirmed the terminal would be useable and refueling was finished for both birds at sundown. We locked the planes and gathered in the terminal for supper and to talk. Andrea's idea of a day layover was applauded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.