The Green Magi
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2014 by Sebastian Tombs

from the journals of Cornelius Randolph

It is very disconcerting to go to bed on a Tuesday afternoon in your flat and wake up 10 hrs or whatever later in your usual naked state, in a bloody spaceship. It didn't end there either, I was aware the rheumatic stiffness I fought every morning was absent, so was the breathlessness from my early Emphysema and I could still see. At least I was covered up; my emaciated old body was no oil painting.

I scanned the room best I could from my prone position, it didn't tell me much but I saw my clothes on a shelf by a door. Figuring I'd be better off dressed I flipped the covers back, swung my legs off the bed and planting my feet on the floor, I simply stood up. It's amazing how such a simple action can bring so much pleasure, normally I would have to lever myself into a sitting position on the bed and then force myself to stand upright. The whole operation should have been painful. It wasn't. I didn't know who or what had got me but I wasn't going to complain. Not yet anyway.

I moved over to my clothes and out of curiosity opened the door beside them. It opened into fully equipped bathroom; there was even a sealed toothbrush by the sink. After many years on my own I often spoke my thoughts out loud and I did so now, "In for a penny, in for a pound. Shower time." I completed the three 'S's in a very leisurely fashion, it was so rewarding to do these simple tasks without having to go to war with my body.

Dressed and leaving the bathroom the first thing I saw was the lady from yesterdays dream sitting at a table, a table that wasn't there when I went into the bathroom. I froze I did not wish to be reminded this was a dream. I was enjoying myself too much. "It is not a dream Cornelius" she got no further. "Corny". I interrupted and corrected almost automatically, as I had done many times before, which in my 92 yr. The avatar carried on as though as if she hadn't heard me. "This is very real Cornelius and very important to us".

I was about to remind her again it was Corny when something about her statement hit me. Hardball/softball in the same breath, the first bit, the 'real' bit sounded normal. The second part didn't sound right coming from her. Her demeanour and opening words all gave me the impression her aim was to keep me calm and not add to the pressure. It also struck me that she'd lifted the bit about the dream straight out of my mind. If she could read my mind she was probably manipulating it. Thinking about it I was sure if she wasn't I would be panicking.

The Avatar spoke again, "Cornelius you are mostly incorrect in your thoughts that we are manipulating your mind. We are suppressing your fight/flight instinct. Whilst this does have the effect of a mild tranquilliser it is you who is controlling your level of panic. Other than that we are not affecting your thought processes." "You're not controlling my mind?" I asked, so surprised in what she was saying I forgot to correct her use of Cornelius. "No", the avatar paused momentarily. "Such an act would be counter-productive and render you useless to us". I chose to ignore the latter part of that little titbit of info. There's a time and place for everything and I had enough to think about without worrying about how useful I could be or paying the bill until it became due. This attitude was a no brainer for me, I had always been a 'Tackle it when it happens' type of person. In the fleeting instant of time the Avatar spoke her last word I realised I accepted the situation. Not as strange as it may seem; when you're young your body does as it's told, no matter how much abuse you throw at it. When you achieve an advanced state of years it often becomes a battle to stand up, sit down or even breathe. It certainly had in my case. You are aware of this battle even in sleep. The battle was gone, disappeared and fucking good riddance. Why wouldn't I want it to be true? Even I was not above clutching at straws when all else seemed gone.

"Cornelius." She began. Again I interrupted, "Corny". She must have been in selective hearing mode. She began again as if I had never spoken, "Cornelius would you like some tea? You really should have something." Now that tea had been mentioned it would indeed be welcome. I had been standing by the bathroom all this time so I moved to the chair opposite the Avatar, as I was sitting down I said, "I don't suppose my tobacco tin was in my jeans when you laundered them?" Might as well find out if smoking was permissible or not. The answer surprised me. "It will arrive with your tea," she said. And added, "In the 20 yrs you have been under observation it is well understood how you use tobacco to focus your thinking. You can now smoke and it will do no damage to your body." At my age I didn't give a toss whether it would do damage or not, but I figured I'd be diplomatic and not tell her that.

Feeling far more comfortable with just the thought of regaining my smoking paraphernalia I wondered if I would be as lucky to get another bug out of my system and asked, "What of your friend, will I be meeting him or her too?" I had barely finished asking when there was a hiss and a panel in the wall slid back.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.