Autumn Duet
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2014 by Kaffir

When they arrived home Ollie picked up Tilda and gave her a protracted hug and a kiss. He then hugged Ralph.

"Thank you, Dad," he said quietly. "I always knew you were pretty special but now I know you're very special."

Ralph smiled and patted his back.

Jenny was next. "Well done, Dad," she whispered in his ear as she hugged him. "Nell's so proud of you. Mum would have been too."

"Mum wouldn't have had to contend with Matt," he whispered back.

"Don't worry, my darling Dad. Helen's seen him off in no uncertain fashion."

Tilda was next. Gwynedd's inclination had been to pack her off to bed but had been told firmly by that young lady that it was much too early and she wanted to give Gandy a hug which she hadn't been able to do in the bath in case they spilt the water.

She leapt and Ralph caught her.

"Thank you 'gain, Gandy." She gave him a big wet kiss and then clung to him. He held her tight for a moment. He released her and she leant back in his arms.

"I'm glad you're OK," he said.

"'Cos of you. You're my favourite Gandy."

"I thought I was the only one because you call your other one Gramps, very rude."

She giggled and then said very solemnly, "But you're Gandy, my Gandy."

"Thank you, sweety."

He let her down.

Gwynedd was next. She just put her arms round his neck, stood on tiptoe and kissed him sweetly. That and her eyes said it all. She then led Tilda firmly away and upstairs to bed where she joined her, cuddling her close to keep her warm and safe.

Helen put her arms round him. "Nell chose well," she said. "You took a risk by not forbidding Matt's bright idea."

"I don't know that that would have done any good. He doesn't acknowledge me as having any authority."

"Or anybody else. Since Rupert's death he's reckoned he's the head of the family. I've tried to persuade him otherwise but he's still being pig-headed so I've decided to treat him as a little boy and sent him to his room and he's not coming out until I let him out."

"Golly! That's pretty strong arm stuff."

Helen nodded. "I've tried in the past with gentle persuasion but this time he needed a slap on the wrist. Ralph, don't get me wrong. He's basically a good guy but since Rupert's death he's been an over-weaning idiot. I've talked to him about it and it hasn't done a lot of good. Maybe this time he's listened to me."

"I think," said Ralph to Nell, "I could do with a nap."

"I'm sure you could, darling. I'll come with you and make sure you stay warm."

Neither undressed apart from shoes. Nell snuggled up behind him and held him as he quickly dropped off. He never stirred until Jenny came to wake them.

"Supper in half an hour and a well deserved drink beforehand," she said stroking her father's cheek. She kissed him lightly and left.

Ralph and Nell collected themselves and went to join the family. Tilda was the only child present. Her afternoon sleep would prevent her from sleeping properly if she went to bed at her normal time. Nevertheless, she sat on one of her parents' knees.

The atmosphere was subdued. The afternoon had been a bit too dramatic and so conversation was about other things. Sean helped to lighten the mood by telling a story about Gwynedd's parents which he did with a put-on Welsh accent. It was an amusing story but Gwynedd attacked him.

"That wasn't an imitation of a proper Welsh accent," she said as she punched his arm. "If anything it was a southern Taffy one. My family are north Welsh and speak proper Welsh."

"I wasn't speaking Welsh," protested Sean.

"Maybe not but you made a pig's ear of speaking North Walian English."

"But I am English so you've got to allow me some latitude."

"And how long have we been married?"

"Seven years."

"And how much time have you spent in North Wales?"

"Not enough."

"Good answer!" but she still biffed him with a cushion to laughter from everyone else.

When it subsided Helen stood. "I'm going to let Matt come down," she said. "I really can't deny him supper."

Everyone agreed.

Five minutes later Matt followed Helen into the drawing room. There was an immediate silence.

Matt cleared his throat nervously. "I'm very sorry, everybody. I was stupid and high handed this afternoon. I haven't behaved particularly cleverly since Dad's death. I'll apologise to each of you individually later."

He knelt. "Tilda," he said softly and holding out his hands, "I'm very, very sorry for putting you in danger. Will you forgive me?"

She stood in front of him looking him straight in the eye. "Yes," she said, "but you need to thank Gandy for saving me."

"I will. I promise."

"Good!" She went back to Gwynedd.

"What are you going to drink, Matt?" asked Ralph. "We've got a head start on you."

"Whisky and soda please, Ralph."

"Coming up. What about you, my Nell?"

"Not just yet thanks." She was marvelling at the way Ralph had just dealt with the situation, discharging an electric atmosphere and helping Matt out of his embarrassment and shame.

Conversation picked up again. Helen squeezed Matt's hand and smiled up at him.

"I'll leave you to it," she gently, "but I won't be far away."

Matt returned the squeeze and the smile. "Thank you, darling."

He moved to Ollie and Gwynedd. "I'm sorry," he said simply. "You must both have been terrified."

They nodded.

"I should have been a lot firmer with you and stopped Tilda from joining in," said Ollie.

"Maybe, easier said than done with the excitement I'd stirred up among the kids," replied Matt.

Ollie shrugged. "That's a kind thing to say."

Gwynedd squeezed his hand. "Thanks for apologising, Matt," she said with a smile. "All's well that ends well. Isn't it, poppet?" she added to Tilda who nodded and smiled too.

Matt turned away. Their graciousness was almost too much for him. He looked round. Sean and Jenny were deep into some conversation. Helen was talking to Dot and Ted. None of them needed an apology really. Ralph and Nell had moved back together like a couple of magnets. He needed to talk to them individually. He hoped his mother would not be as rough on him as she had been about the will. She had been furious with him this afternoon.

"Right, young lady, it's way after your bedtime, said Gwynedd to Tilda. "Say good night to everyone."

"G'night, everyone," she called out to which they all replied.

She ran to Ralph and held up her arms. Ralph handed his drink to Nell and picked Tilda up. Her arms went round his neck.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.