Autumn Duet
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2014 by Kaffir

From Midbourne access to the south of the Plain was easy with very little riding on the road. Nell did not press him but did make Ralph trot and canter rather further than he had been able to in the paddock at home. She also for the first time made him gallop which he found most exhilarating and had to do some more. They were out for all of two hours and, despite feeling pleased with himself and having enjoyed the morning immensely, Ralph was whacked. He said so.

"Shower!" ordered Nell. "After that beer followed by bread and cheese!"

"Can I bring Bess in? She must be dying of thirst."

"Of course you can."

Nell found a large bowl and filled it with water. Bess drank greedily and then flopped.

Nell led Ralph upstairs, showed him where the shower was and handed him a bath towel.

"Give me a shout when you've finished," she ordered.

"Yes, ma'am."

She erected a portable massage table in his room, spread a towel on it and then had a quick shower while he did the same and slipped on a dressing gown.

"Finished!" he called as he went back to his room.

"Lie face down on the massage table in your room with the small towel on the bed across your bum. I'll be with you in a minute."

Somewhat mystified he did that. There was a knock on the door.

"Are you decent?"

"As much as you'll let me be."

"Good!"

She came into the room. "Massage for poor old crocks," she said and ran her hand over his shoulders.

"This is a treat, Nell."

She chuckled. "We'll see about that when I've worked on the knots."

"I'm fwightened."

"Chicken!"

She gave him what he reckoned was a marvellous massage. It was gentle but firm and she was persistent rather than painful when dealing with the knots. When she had finished she gave him a soft kiss on the lips. His arms went round her.

"Thank you, Nell," he said softly and pulled her head down. He returned her kiss equally softly but then held her head inches from his lips. "You are a very sweet and gentle woman, Nell. In fact you're a lot more than that and I love you."

He did not have to pull her lips to his. Hers came to his, brushed them lightly and then fastened on them. No more than that. No tongues came into play but they stayed like that for a full minute. She pulled back and he let her but did not take his hand away.

"I love you too, Ralph, almost from the beginning but you were still married and then you had to cope with the misery of Nessa's death. All I could do was be there for you."

"You were, Nell, and have been ever since, a source of strength and comfort. Bless you"

Her lips found his again, not for as long but just as warmly.

"Come on," she said as she pulled away again. "Rejuvenation time, beer followed by bread and cheese."

She touched his cheek, smiled at him and left the room.

Ralph dressed and wandered downstairs. He could hardly believe what he had said but it was true: and she loved him too.

"Whee!" he said to himself and then chuckled inwardly. "Grow up, boy. You're doing a Jenny."

He arrived in the kitchen ahead of Nell where Bess greeted him warmly.

He found lager in the fridge. He poured two glasses.

"Clever boy!" smiled Nell as she arrived. "Let me get the cheese out to thaw."

"You don't freeze it?" exclaimed Ralph in horror.

"Good Lord no. Just tame it in the fridge."

Nell picked up her glass and had a sip. She grabbed his hand and towed him into the small sitting room at the back. They sat on the sofa together. Ralph raised his glass.

"To you and me, Nell darling."

"Us!" She touched her glass to his and they both had a sip.

"Mm!" they chorused and then just looked at each other.

"Thank you, Nell," he said softly.

"Thank you," she whispered back.

He shook his head. "No! Fifty-fifty."

"I suppose." She grinned. "How about sixty-sixty?"

"Or more."

He put his drink down and she followed suit. They fell into each other's arms. There were no kisses. They just held each other.

That lasted for a while and then they sat back and smiled at each other.

"Happy, happy, happy!" said Nell.

"Very, very, very," replied Ralph. "Ecstatic, ecstatic, ecstatic even!"

Nell grinned at him. "No need to go OTT."

Ralph grinned back. "So what's next?"

"Lunch and then you're going to go home and collect your toothbrush, Bess's things and then back here sharpish. After that we're going to bed."

"I ... I'm not sure I'm up to much anymore, Nell. I found your massage very stimulating but I didn't get, um, an erection."

"Nor were you meant to. Don't worry, my love. If sex happens it happens but the important thing is just being together and holding each other very close."

"Can we practise?"

They did. Very happily.

"Evil girl," smiled Ralph as they finally pulled back. "My lager's gone flat."

"Liar!"

Laughter and another hug but not a long one.

They ate their lunch and then Ralph went home as instructed. Bess and Nell went with him. He collected the necessaries and they went back to Nell's.

There was no ceremony in getting undressed although both silently were pleased with each other's bodies. They were both fit and trim.

In bed they rolled into each other's arms and clung to each other silently. There was no need to speak. Ralph drifted off to sleep after his unaccustomed active morning.

Nell was very happy. It was not as though she needed a man. She had got over Rupert's death and actually quite enjoyed being responsible for no one but herself. On the other hand there had been times when she felt quite lonely. Choral society was only once a week and listening to music or reading palled after a while. Television was mostly a bore. She had enjoyed Ralph's company at Summer School and had thought about him often before she rang him the first time. Thereafter he had just grown on her. His love for and devotion to Nessa had impressed her and yet after her death he had pulled himself together in time for the Christmas concerts and his innate good humour and his gentle strength of character were resuscitated. They had both quite naturally and with no ulterior motive started to see more of each other and it had turned into love. She realised that it had only been attraction earlier on although had Nessa not been there love might have developed sooner. That it had mutually delighted her. She sighed happily and tightened her hold on him before falling asleep herself.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.