Third Time's the Charm - Cover

Third Time's the Charm

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 20

The shower cleaned up, Jeanine scrubbed, the suite aired and me cleaned up as good as possible ... that took some doing ... undiluted intestinal acid is hell on feet ... and toes ... Grace entered with several commercial cans of tomato juice ... hey ... it works on skunk spray ... and some vinegar ... and one big stiff bristled brush and scrubbed me and the bath to a fare-thee-well.

"WE ... that is ... you and Hineahuone, have reservations for dinner. Chop-chop ... get it done. Wine her, dine her and I'll meet you here for wherever we go for dancing. You too, Jeanine. We have to talk."

"My job..."

"Your job is to keep us happy so we stay ... so sayeth your boss. Unless you quit, you are our personal attendant for the duration."

"I should check..."

"You walk out that door and I'll tell him about Adventures in Girl Scouting."

"Blackmail?"

"Yup ... besides, I bought the Inn. You work for us now."

"Didn't know it was for sale."

"It's not."

"But ... you said you bought it."

"I did."

"Then ... oh, it's not for sale."

"You're smarter than I thought. I knew you were stubborn ... I thought that might be your only redeeming quality."

"What makes you think I'm stubborn."

"Because you followed us around all that summer."

"You really are them."

"We are."

"How did you do it... ?"

"Four people had to die ... the Austin Twins ... and the Andersons."

"But ... you came back ... how?"

"Only David knows. You do realize if you talk about it ... you'll probably end up dead."

"Then why did you tell me?"

"Your redeeming quality ... you wouldn't let it go until we did." Grace grinned at her.

It was a rueful grin, but Jeanine grinned back.

Hineahuone came out wearing ... I don't know ... but she looked damn all fine ... and orchids ... strategically placed orchids ... What the flowers didn't cover they displayed.

She looked at me, "You're not dressed."

"I'm covered," and I was, boxers, tee, white sox and a jewish beanie ... whatever they're called ... at least it wasn't a coffee filter and hairpins ... and nobody was blowing smoke up my ass either.

"You got just a few minutes to be happy ... because Hineahuone, Jeanine and I are going to pitch your young ass out on the balcony and lock the door," Grace said ... but I was half dressed by the time she said door. "Good boy."

There's something about this situation I don't care for ... I can't quite put my finger on it but there it is. Grace had never been what you could call mean to me ... much ... there were times but we were siblings then ... this was something new.

As I was dressing I thought about similar situations ... the only similar situation I could recall was Lucy Lou ... and it was pretty vague ... I believe ... I think ... NO ... couldn't be ... could it?

"Grace?"

"Yes dear."

"When did you stop taking those pills?"

"What pills?" she goggled just for a second, "Shit ... I forgot." She started to cry..."I'm sorry ... I didn't mean ... you still love me, anyway?"

"Well ... It looks like there's more than one reason for this party," I said.

Hineahuone got it right off the bat. She hugged Grace, "Way to go ... mom."

She stepped back and shook my hand. "Your boys work ... Grace ... no more booze."

Jeanine slapped my hands away from the hangman's noose I was making out of my Dunedin Royal Yacht Club tie and gave me a Windsor ... and a kiss on the tip of my nose.

Piper and the kits scratched at the door and we let them in.

There were a multitude of variations but Mom was right up there. The cats were happy and jumping around; rubbing Grace's belly and purring. If you're going dancing at the Antler tonight ... we're going too.

Dinner was everything a four star should be ... the concierge made us known as the new owners ... the temperature dropped and the lake froze over but we drove up to Pentwater anyway. We knew exactly when we passed Little Sable Point. The difference was enormous. One second we were under starlit skies and the next the snow was blowing parallel to the ground and perpendicular to our direction of travel.

Big tires, chains and following the plow got us to the bar ... and Grace drove us back.

The morning was not good. My darling wife decided that last nights feast looked better in the toilet. It didn't ... Late in the morning she was human again and we drove back to Holland, and hearth and home.

Hineahuone and I had NOT...

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.