Third Time's the Charm
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

There are some things one can not get away from. A Maori Princess is a Polynesian Princess and a Polynesian Princess is a big deal in Polynesia. Hawaii is Polynesian ... and Tahiti.

Fiji is not Polynesian but Melanesian. The Douglas DC-8 flew from Auckland to Nadi, Fiji and from there to Honolulu, Hawaii.

The Austin/Anderson/Te Wherowhero combination took a Maytag to Auckland and departed for Fiji.

What is a Maytag?

A Maytag is a twin engine propeller driven aircraft probably named after the Japanese aircraft that made nightly raids on Henderson Field, Guadalcanal during World War Two... Washing Machine Charlie, as the Americans called it, dropped 20 pound bombs at random from 30 minutes after can't see until 30 minutes before can see. Very small twin with engines out of synchronization, exceptionally annoying and loud.

Maytags are small, annoying and loud, they flew connecting flights all over New Zealand ... transferring passengers to and from local fields to Auckland for flights to Australia and points east. As an example of the size of the aircraft; "There's cokes in the cooler at the tail between the seats, mate," said the flight attendant/copilot as she ran through the startup. "If you want a coke, tell us before you fetch it so we can compensate for the changes in trim." That small.

Wikipedia says; The history of Air New Zealand, the national carrier of New Zealand, began when the amalgamated East Coast Airways and Cook Strait Airways began operations in January 1936 as Union Airways of N.Z. Ltd., the country's first major airline. Union Airways was the sole New Zealand aviation partner in TEAL (Tazman Empire Airways Limited), which made its inaugural flight in 1940. The New Zealand Government bought full ownership of TEAL in 1961 and the airline was renamed Air New Zealand in 1965.

Jet service to Hawaii had commenced just a few months earlier. Air New Zealand was new at the game. The first few flights were adventures.

Hineahuone Te Wherowhero was a hit in Fiji but nothing like the excitement in Honolulu. There she was greeted with the same enthusiasm that greeted Elizabeth Two on her way to Australia.

Craziness.

The pair of cats ... the children of Piper ... were assigned to Hineahuone as bodyguards while Piper carefully watched over Grace, David and Charles.

Customs wasn't happy with the cats but the local military ... the Ranger was in ... they were explicit.

"The Cats are American Diplomats and that's that."

"How do you know?"

"They were part of Ships Company on first WESPAC cruise and the ship has photographs of them and their passports to prove it."

"Oh," said the Customs agents.

The shore patrol made sure the cats and, by association, the 'entourage' were safe.

She couldn't get away from it. Hineahuone Te Wherowhero was pronounced too thin and the Hawaiian Polynesian upper crust decided to feed her up. Many and more pigs were roasted in her honor. If the roast is in your honor ... you simply have to go.

"Just a bite, your Highness," said one chief, "Have some more," "A little more poi?" "The pineapple is especially good, Princess ... try it," was always accompanied by, "Have you met my son, grandson, nephew, uncle? He's single ... just like you." The Princess shook more than one slimy hand.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.