Protection and Preservation, Book 08 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 08

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 11

[Janice writes from England]

Early in the morning, we, my spouses and older children, talked about the two groups. Mel said, "Don't go to Wales. We will lose people. Birmingham will be okay but won't accomplish anything worthwhile."

I called the entire group together over breakfast to talk about the two areas. Poppa wanted to visit both and was pushing hard. Finally, I shouted, "Enough! Poppa, if we go, you will be in charge but must leave the plane last. Your wife, one of my fellow wives, my older son and his wife will be in the party. If one of those last three is hurt or killed, I will hold you absolutely responsible. You have heard Mel warn us that going to Wales will cost us people. She is right in her warnings. Who do you want to kill?"

"I don't want to kill anyone or get anyone killed. I just think we should make contact."

"I understand that desire. Do you think Mel is wrong?" He slowly shook his head. "I return to my question, who do you want dead?" He shook his head again. "Let it go. I believe Mel and will not sacrifice any person. We will try to make contact with the group in Birmingham and, unless there is some good reason to do something else, we will fly to Paris this afternoon." Poppa stood to speak. I said, "Before you speak, think long upon what you will say, I will probably call for a vote of confidence when you are done. If I lose, I will go no further east in a plane."

His head popped up. He said very slowly, "On this trip, I wanted to meet new people with the hope of finding those who might become friends. I have listened to Melissa and to Charlie. They have intuitions about this kind of situation that are hard to believe except for the fact that they are uncannily accurate. I talked with Charlie and watched him think on Wales. He doesn't feel as strongly as Melissa but he feels there is danger there. I will believe them. Melissa even feels that meeting the group from Birmingham will accomplish nothing. I understand that within the strictures of the question she was asked. Neither she nor Charlie feels danger from that group. They may not be able to help us but we should embrace the opportunity to make contacts unless our folk feel there is danger to us. That is my opinion."

He came over to where I was standing and sat between my husbands. He pulled me into his lap. He hugged me and kissed my cheek. "Thank you for keeping me on the right track. You are a great leader, Janice. I love you."

"I love you, too, Poppa." I hugged his neck and asked SJ to tell us about landing possibilities close the group in Birmingham.

It was amazing for me to watch my second daughter stand before the group and tell them about an airport or anything else. SJ had a good speaking voice and seemed totally devoid of nerves when in front of people.

She said, "Birmingham has a good airport to the east of the city. Rather than try to find some place else to land ten miles from there, I recommend that we get out our vehicles and drive there. We can park all three planes close together and leave a small guard force. From talking with Mom Mel, no problems are expected but we should guard against curiosity types. I suggest five sentries. Bobbi, Jacob, and I will be three of our sentries, leaving only two more needed." Olaf looked at Michelle and they raised their hands. "Mister Olaf and Miss Michelle have volunteered. Good. We can get the vehicles out quickly. I believe that persons will be on the way to the airport if we fly over them on the way from here to the airport.

"From our sensitive ones, we should only be lightly armed. The sentry party will be more heavily armed to avoid problems by intimidating any potential problems. We will also be the rear guard when the visiting party returns to the planes. We will be in contact by radio on 146.52 simplex.

"Are there any questions?" She looked around. I suggest that Prince take off followed in five's by Mallard and Duck. We should plan not to return but continue on to France."

She smiled at me and sat down. I stood and said, "That's the plan. Let's make it happen." Everyone went into action and, in five minutes, Prince was headed down the runway.

Five and ten minutes later each, Duck and Mallard took off following the smaller plane to Birmingham. We landed and brought planes into a tight formation on the ground. We opened up and people piled out. Bobbi and Jacob took motorcycles and went along the edge of the runway area where the planes were parked. They reported no persons in sight to SJ. Over the radio, she said, "Keep watch. Assemble and lead out. Mom Janice will lead the group and take charge." We left in a cloud of dust from the unused road and landing area. We had gone two miles when we came upon a number of people on horseback and in horse-pulled wagons. I halted our group. I then said, "Poppa, you're with me. Sling your rifle and say nothing unless I am disabled or tell you to talk. You are learning on this one."

"Yes, ma'am."

We stepped to the front of our vehicles by about twenty or thirty feet. I realized that I was staring at forty years of age. According to my husbands and older son, I was still a fox. I figured I could do this for a while longer before someone else would have to carry the torch or we decided all the fires had been lit.

Two men came forward from the other group. One was carrying an old shotgun and the other had a crossbow. I could see that they were both cocked. I whispered, "Follow your instructions, Poppa." Loudly, I said, "Hello, I'm Janice Cook-Thomas-Sullivan. I from America and the communities of Preservation and Protection."

It was up to them to speak or do something now. The wait was growing uncomfortable when one of them said, "Man, why don't you speak?"

I said, "He doesn't speak because he is not in charge of this group. Jack return, tell Andy that I want to see her, please."

Poppa said, "Yes, ma'am." He turned and left them. I said, "Our communities and allies practice equality. You will deal with me or no one."

Andy came up beside me and said, "Yes, ma'am. Please tell your husband to prepare a rear guard. We're returning to the planes. The people here have closed minds and have neither good manners nor good sense."

"Yes, ma'am. Charles is ready now."

Over the radio, "Mom, we're ready. We can wipe out anyone who tries for a weapon."

Out loud, I said, "Very well. We will leave."

The other man said, "Wait, please. Women do not deal with men here."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.