Protection and Preservation, Book 08 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 08

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 8

[Janice writes]

We went to their home and tied the horses. We sat on their porch drinking water and talking. I was introduced along with the rest of our party. I told Tim and Wendy a synopsis of the tale of Protection and Preservation and heard, in exchange, their story. Looking about, I felt that this couple had led a remarkable life and accomplished much in the world. Leaving a good place for your children is a big accomplishment.

With their permission, we set up an HF radio and antenna. Our three youngest set up the radio and tested it. They talked to Herb, Jacob's dad, on eighty meters with good results. Mindy came on and talked to Jacob and to Andy. She and Herb expressed their love to their children. They signed out. Bobbi took a turn and shifted to forty meters. She managed to get Port Lavaca and talked to one of the residents' younger daughter. They had a nice little talk. They signed off and Bobbi switched back to eighty meters and set the frequency for tonight's net. Wendy and Tim were impressed.

Tim's biggest fear over the years was marauders. I felt that they had been fortunate to only have two incidents. I explained that the east coast was cleared of problems to our knowledge. I told him that the communities of Preservation and Protection had fought the battles and were starting to expand and grow. I told him that there were pockets of good people who were invited to join the communities. I told him that most did but there was no animosity toward those that didn't except they did not get the benefit of the most of our technologies and medical abilities.

I said, "Tim, we don't force people in but we don't give our technology to those who don't want to be part of us. Being part involves adopting some of our methods and rules. We have found those rules build strength and help people get along.

"Preservation has grown to the point that my dad has spread the governing to local groups who send persons to represent them in the central government. I think Doctor George is reaching that point. We would be glad to fly you or anyone you wish to meet Doctor George and his wives."

Wendy said, "Wives?"

"Yes, we allow marriage between or among those who desire it. So far, I am part of the largest marriage known. There are five of us after a husband was killed years ago. We are happy. Andy and Charlie and her parents are each members of two person marriages like yours. We don't push the idea of plural marriages but don't deny it either. If you're old enough, we don't tell a person how to live and won't allow people to tell others how to live as long as no one is harmed.

"For many years, we had people living along and north of I-20 just beyond the border of Preservation. They didn't want to be part of Preservation and we never forced them. However, when troubles came, they were not protected from marauders nor were they offered technological help. They created a buffer while we spread east and west. After two attempted invasions from others, the survivors joined us and became valued members of our community. It works out."

Tim said, "It's as simple as that?"

"Yes, the rules are simple. I have the page back at Andy and Charlie's house. The age of consent is fifteen years. That is the most important arbitrary rule. Rapes and attempted rapes are subject to the death penalty. We take women's rights very seriously.

"Of course, I teach classes in self-defense in Preservation and Jane Andrews does the same in Protection. We do not carry arms in our communities though we are a polite society for what is, at this time, a frontier society.

"My family and a few other people are planning a trip to Europe next year. We are trying to prepare for an unknown situation. We haven't heard from Europe even by radio since about two years after the Day. We have some satellite pictures about five years after the Day at night. The lights were off then. Of course, those pictures showed the same here. Too few people are left.

"Other than Preservation and Protection, we only know of societies in Pintlala, Alabama, Port Lavaca and El Paso, Texas, and Phoenix, Arizona. We are allied with all of them. There are also communities in Tucson, Arizona, and in Dallas, Texas, that exist but with who we have little or no contact. If you went up the east coast, you would find it deserted except for occasional pockets of people the size of you folks or smaller.

"It's a different world since the Day. Some of it is good. Some of it is bad."

I smiled. "My foster father, Jack Matthews, is the elected Director of Preservation. He wants to preserve the best pieces of what we had and work on improving the rest. Preservation is the largest of the allied communities.

"I'm sure you need to talk to people Tim. We need to get home and then my three unmarried children need to ride back to the rest of the family. As much as I love Charlie, I miss my husbands and fellow wives."

Wendy said, "I'm still getting my head around your marriage. How do you sleep?"

I grinned. "It can be a lot of fun. In our homes, we have big beds and all five sleep and make love together. When we've been on the road, it varies but no one sleeps alone. This trip will be the longest separation for any one of us. We work at being successful in our marriage like any other marriage because we want it to be successful."

Wendy grinned back at me as two wives who have been married for many years and understand the give and take required to be and to stay married. Andy came over a few moments later and said, "We need to be heading back. Missus Wendy, this is a map to our home and shows the location of the main building for Protection. You will be welcomed. Use the radio. You will find the people are friendly. We will report finding you tonight on the net. I have written the net times and frequencies on the back. We would love for you and your community to become part of us." I noticed that Charlie was talking to Tim. I felt good about this.

In leaving, we shook hands all around. We mounted our horses and made our way back to Andy and Charlie's home in time for supper.

We had an enjoyable meal and checked into the net and described our meeting. Jen's father, Jim, was net control this evening. He welcomed Wendy, Tim, and their family if they were listening. He further said that, if they wanted to say something, they would be welcome. It was quiet and he went on with the net. I also told the net that we would start home in the morning. Pam broke in to say that they were looking forward to my return along with the children.

We signed off at the end of the net. Charlie's friends headed back to their site. We were in the living room. Charlie was sitting in a recliner with Andy in his lap. They looked very comfortable and happy. The three were sitting together on a sofa and I was in a chair sitting comfortably across from my son and his wife. It was quiet and I, for one, was enjoying the silence and calm emotions I was feeling from the others.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.