Protection and Preservation, Book 08
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Janice writes]

Our learning efforts were beginning to pay off. Everyone was learning and Andy had a totally new attitude about helping and teaching. I would describe her as wistfully beautiful. She had lost something but I could tell she hoped to get it back. It, of course, was Charlie. The new attitude from her was utterly attractive. Along with her physical beauty, the young men were being drawn in. She politely ignored their overtures that started less than a week after she returned to Dobbins.

Reports from Protection indicated that Charlie was being welcomed and was making his presence felt in a positive way on a number of issues. Doctor George was having him head east to check on new settlers and generally check out people in that direction. Jane reported that, on Sunday, he had returned and gone to church with them. She said that there were many young women who were glad to see a new man in their community who was as kind and smart as Charlie. Andy was listening with most of the rest of us to Judith's report. Judith didn't know any details about the situation. I could see the tears in Andy's eyes as she heard about Charlie and Judith's description of him. With the tears was a yearning. Mindy told me that she was writing a journal to him.

We were flying! The hardest part for those of us who had flown Otters was the size and two more engines. It is an amazing airplane and, with the light load, agile for all its large size and ungainly look. Flying a properly loaded plane was easy and there was some considerable variance in loading is permitted. The head-up display was cool. My husbands were able fliers and made the transfer as did Pam and I. Bobbi and Jacob loved flying the 'duck' as they called it. Herb restarted his lessons and caught up quickly. He was Andy's partner of choice. There were a few young men who were eager to partner with her if he wasn't available. She was waiting for her dad when one came up. I was behind her but she didn't know I was there. He talked to her a bit and she was polite but not encouraging.

He said, "It looks like 'pretty boy' left you. I'd be glad to partner with you. You wouldn't find me leaving you."

I could see a tear roll down the side of her cheek. She said slowly, "He's not a 'pretty boy.' He is the kindest, bravest, smartest man I know other than my father. He left because I wronged him greatly. I am trying to live in a manner to deserve him again if that's possible. I was a fool but I can learn."

Before he could say anything in response to her, Herb came out and waved at her. She saw him. "Daddy!" She yelled at him happily and rushed to him.

The young man looked at me and said, "Missus Janice, what's with her. Charlie is gone. He's making a new life in Protection without her. I'm sorry about the 'pretty boy' remark. Your son is a good guy but she is a great girl. I would like a chance to make her happy."

"It's Ned, isn't it?" He nodded. "I don't think she's ready yet. She wants Charlie back. That door will have to close. If you are really interested in her and not as a trophy for your arm, you will have to be patient and polite." I smiled. He smiled back. We went on our ways. Ned is a nice guy from Pintlala. Of the young men here, he was probably my choice. He wasn't the best looking but was okay. As Charlie predicted, the sharks were circling.

We closed on the thirty days. Charlie talked to me on an alternate frequency. He was flying to Preservation this afternoon. He would keep his commitment. I flew in this morning with Bobbi, SJ, and the rest of the family. Jacob was staying at Dobbins to support his sister if she needed him. The relationship between Bobbi and Jacob seemed to be forged from a different spirit. They had a mature comfort to their relationship that surprised me on occasion. This was one of those times. I would have thought they would be together.

Charlie came in and we met him at the airport with a horse-drawn wagon that would hold the entire family. It was slow but made for a fun ride to our home. Charlie looked great. He was tanned and rested.

Charlie and I sat on the porch after we all settled in. I said, "Charlie, you look good. Being in Protection has been good for you."

He said, "Mom, I've missed all of you but it has been fun. Doctor George had me roam their eastern boundary with Doc George's younger son, Mark, and youngest daughter, Bess. It was fun and we met a lot of new people who were happy to find out about Protection and have a friendly presence to their west. We want to go further east when I return."

"So, you're going back?"

"Yes, I said I would be here in thirty days and am doing that. I have decided what to do about Andrea if she shows up. I've missed having steady female companionship though Doc George's daughter, Bess, is my age and interesting. I'm just not looking right now. I just don't want the tension that had built up with my relationship with Andrea. I can feel that I'm getting tense knowing that I will probably see her tomorrow with some accompanying drama."

I said, "I understand, Charlie. Before I was with Bennie, I spent a fair bit of time with Oliver and it got tense, too. I broke it off and Bennie stepped in a little later. We were a better match. I say that to say this. Oliver and I weren't the right match. In some ways, you and Andy are a right match. That doesn't mean that there aren't other matches possible for both of you. A week after we returned to Dobbins, guys were circling around her. However, she has politely but firmly fended them off. She is a changed person. I know you will listen to her and I think you will find that she will listen to you. You two were talking but not listening before.

"I think you expressed some things that did her a disservice. She does care for you. I know you can be friends. Whether life will send you back together or keep you apart, I don't know. Give her a real chance. You both deserve that."

Bobbi and SJ came out to hear the last of my statement. They looked at each other. SJ said, "Mom's right. There is a real difference in Andy. She has been humbled. In some ways, that's good but she needs someone other than her father beside her. I want the two of you to be happy, whether that's together or separate though together is better. You will need to get along because you will be related by marriage at the least. Bobbi and Jacob work together well and make a formidable team. I think they might be the best flyers of the younger group with you out of the way." She grinned fiendishly. "Our moms and dads are the best of the oldsters."

I refused to be baited. I said, "Andy flies with her father or SJ. She won't fly with any of the younger guys."

Charlie didn't take that bait. He said, "She should. I don't plan to fly the C-130 series as of right now. I'm enjoying my time on a horse and covering ground step by step. Bess and Mark are good people. Bess studies under her mother, Jane. I think Missus Jane might be in your class. Bess and I have sparred and she is very good."

SJ was watching him talk. "What have you done other than spar, brother?"

"Nothing. We talk a lot as we ride but there is no romance. Neither of us has expressed any interest."

SJ smelled blood. "Is she pretty?"

"Sis, ease up. Yes, she's pretty. She is Missus Jane or Missus Judith's daughter. It would be hard for her not to be pretty. To satisfy your other questions, she is an inch shorter than me and slender. She has a temper and is smart as a whip. I like her. She and her brother were great companions. She can shoot almost as well as Mom Mel.

"I've learned to bow shoot. It's more challenging and is quiet. I like that. Now, you two go cause trouble elsewhere. I want to talk to mom." They smiled but left.

Charlie looked back at me. "Mom, as I said I have decided what I will do about Andrea. I'm not returning to the world of Dobbins any time soon. I have enjoyed my time in the wilderness. It reminds me of the times you have told me about when it was just you and Bennie on horseback roaming around. We had a pack horse for some grain and coffee and for a battery and a hand-cranked generator along with a radio and an antenna. We lived a camping life with little of our electrical conveniences. Most of the people we met did not have electricity. They seemed to do just fine."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.