The Circle of Life: a Harry Potter Imagining - Cover

The Circle of Life: a Harry Potter Imagining

Copyright© 2014 by The Heartbreak Kid

Chapter 10: Moments

Two days before the Hogwarts Express would be pulling into the station, full of hundreds of excited children ready for another year of schooling, Harry arrived at Hogwarts ready to begin his next adventure. It was fair to call it an adventure; for although he was returning to a building and people that he knew well, it was also, to a certain extent, a journey into the unknown. It was, he knew, one thing to try to teach fellow pupils, some of whom were his friends, the spells that might one day save their lives and also to try to build up the confidence of the Slytherin Quidditch team two evenings a week; but now he was going to be responsible for teaching most of the pupils in the school things that may only now be theoretical, but which may ultimately affect their future prospects in life. He must be prepared to put aside his own personal feelings and expectations, so that he could give his full attention to nurturing these young minds—the minds of those who would go on to become their own communities' future workers, employers, and possibly even leaders. Was Harry ready for this responsibility? Yes, he honestly thought that he was!

Although he regretted it, he and Ginny, now even closer since their holiday, had decided that she would stay at home until the first day of term when she would travel up to the school. It was Luna Lovegood's last year, too, so Ginny would have her friend as a travelling companion from King's Cross. It was just a shame that Luna was in Ravenclaw House, not Gryffindor, as they would probably not see each other much in the evenings. Ginny was still going to play for the Gryffindor Quidditch team, but like Harry before her, she no longer felt quite the same enthusiasm. She was also once again Head Girl and there was now a slightly more relaxed attitude to leaving the school building in the evening, so she had promised Harry that she would try to visit Hagrid as often as she could.


It was the first day of term. The doors of the Hall were thrown open and the new intake of first years, hesitant and apprehensive, were led to the front. The Sorting Hat process was carried out quickly and the boys and girls took their places at their new House tables. The Headmistress indicated that she wished to speak:

"Ladies and Gentle­men. Before this evening's Banquet begins, I wish to make a few, short announcements. First: we have some new members of staff this year—Herbology will be taught by Professor Sprout and her new assistant, Mr Neville Longbottom and Advanced Defensive Magic will be taught by Mr Harry Potter—"


Harry's first class had been scheduled for the following Monday—Year 3 Advanced Defensive Magic. At exactly the allotted time, Harry opened the door to the classroom. He looked at all the excited, expectant faces, some of whom he already knew, others who he had only previously seen about the school.

"Come in and take a seat, please. You won't need your books just yet."

He then spoke directly to a boy at the back of the class that he recognised. He was in Slytherin House:

"Hello, Thompson. Are you playing Quidditch this year?"

"Yes, Sir, I hope so, Sir," answered the boy. "We are getting much better. We may even be in with a chance of winning the Cup this year!"

"That's good," said Harry, "I look forward to seeing you play." He turned his attention once again towards the whole class. "Now, this term you will all be learning about—"


Harry sat next to Neville at dinner that evening. He was already seated when he saw Ginny enter the Hall. They both instinctively looked towards each other and smiled. He saw Ginny's hand move to a place about a foot below her chin, then gently press her hand against something that couldn't be seen. Harry turned to speak to Neville:

"How was it today, Neville?"

"It was fine, Harry. A couple of cheeky first years, but generally quite fun. How was your day, Harry?"

"Much the same! I remember some of the Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers we had. I must be better than that!"

"I know what you mean!" said Neville, "I know what you mean!"


The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.