The Circle of Life: a Harry Potter Imagining - Cover

The Circle of Life: a Harry Potter Imagining

Copyright© 2014 by The Heartbreak Kid

Chapter 5: Tradition

It is an ancient custom at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for the new intake of pupils, upon arrival at the school, to first line up in front of the Sorting Hat to begin the process that in some ways will determine their experiences for the rest of their school days, and perhaps their lives.

Professor McGonagall tapped a spoon upon a glass. Although faint, the clink of the glass, like the ringing of a bell, could clearly be heard, commanding instant silence.

"First of all, let me welcome back all of you who are returning for another year," said the Headmistress. "I hope that you all had a good summer, and you are now ready to settle down and work hard. If I may, I'd like to start by addressing the new first years.

"Now I am sure, boys and girls, that you are all very excited to be here and that you have already seen some of the now famous faces sitting in the hall. Please remember that they are at Hogwarts, like you, to learn. They are all very nice people and I'm sure that, in a day or two, they will be happy to talk to you—if you ask politely and don't run after them like little puppy dogs!" There was general laughter in the Hall.

"I also know that you are all eagerly waiting to be sorted into your Houses," Professor McGonagall said, in her steady, measured voice, "—unfortu­nately, I must ask you to please be patient, as I must break with custom and speak to the whole school on more serious matters." She motioned with her hands and benches appeared for the first years to sit on.

"As I'm sure that you have all been told before, the wizarding world is a very old one, with many laws and traditions that have been practiced for centuries and which still shape and influence our everyday lives. At Hogwarts School we like to think of every pupil as a life-long member of the Hogwarts family, and we rely on traditions to teach our children by example and to maintain standards. We constantly strive to encourage the highest moral values in our students, in order to prepare our witches and wizards for life in the adult world; both during and after their time here.

"However, for some time now, it has been apparent that not everyone in the school has been willing to adhere to the spirit and ideals of these old and noble traditions. It is my belief that the once healthy, competitive rivalry that has existed for centuries between the four School Houses, has too often been replaced with malice, mistrust, and, occasionally, what I consider to be, outright acts of evil!

"Everyone—myself, the other Heads of Houses, and the school governors—have all agreed that this state of affairs must no longer be allowed to continue." Professor McGonagall paused to allow her words to be absorbed.

"If you all look around this hall tonight, you will see that many of the places at the Slytherin House table are empty. There are reasons for this.

"You all now know of the events that occurred on the Second of May, when a battle took place in this very hall. At this time all underage pupils were escorted from the building, while those who were of age were given the chance to fight alongside those of us who attempted to defend the School. And, as you also already know, some Hogwarts students—old and new—fought and died that night." The Headmistress' voice seemed to falter for a moment before she continued.

"It is with great sadness that I also have to report that there were Slytherin pupils who decided to fight with the enemy, and some of these also lost their lives. For this and other reasons, the parents of a number of Slytherin pupils have decided not to return their children to school today." Professor McGonagall paused again for a moment.

"I have told you these things so that you know why there are so few Slytherins at school today. I am most urgently asking you, however, not to judge all of that House based solely upon the actions of a few. The people that you see now at the Slytherin table—" she gestured with her hand, "have very bravely decided to continue their education at Hogwarts. They are, they have all told me, a part of Slytherin House and they wish to continue to be a part of Slytherin House; for this, we must applaud their determination and bravery!"

Although somewhat restrained, every other pupil in the room applauded. Professor McGonagall once again indicated that she wished to continue.

"It has always been an important tradition at Hogwarts to have four School Houses, which are named after it's four founders. Because of the actions of some Slytherin pupils, however, it was proposed during meetings held in the summer, that Hogwarts should now be divided into only three Houses, instead of four."

A loud murmur was heard throughout the hall. The Professor raised both her hands and the quiet was restored. She then increased the volume of her voice, in order to emphasise her feelings.

"However, it was the view and opinion of the majority, including myself and all the other teachers that you see before you, that history and tradition would be ill-served by adopting this course of action. The effects of the events of May have been felt not only at Hogwarts, but throughout both the Muggle and the wizarding world. Things have happened in the past that it may take a very long time in the future to recover from. Therefore we must all begin, now, this very night, to rebuild the spirit that has made Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry famous throughout the world. I am therefore asking you who are in the four Houses: Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Gryffindor, to put aside your past rivalries and instead to help each other in the Hogwarts family to overcome their problems.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.