The March of the Rose - Cover

The March of the Rose

Copyright© 2014 by R22CoolGuy

Chapter 9

The Barony of Rockyvale, Eastern Realms, Andor.

The subjugation of Rockyvale went quickly and without further bloodshed; well, except for the linens on Neelam's new bed. Adeline was a somewhat willing partner and Neelam enjoyed himself well into the night. He slipped out of bed the next morning causing Adeline to stir before rolling over in the bed. He was up and practicing with Gor when a knock on the door caused him to pause.

"Enter," he commanded.

The door opened and Adeline's mother, who was now Neelam's servant, wheeled in his breakfast on a serving cart. Two of the baronial guard followed her in and flanked the door on either side. Neelam noticed that she looked a little disheveled and there was a large red mark on her right cheek and what looked like the beginning of a shiner under the right eye.

"Your Grace, your breakfast," she announced, glancing over at the bed while pushing the cart to a nearby table.

She slowly and methodically set the small table under the watchful glare of the two guards, sneaking glances at the bed the whole time. After the table was set she removed the covers from the serving dishes and then stepped back taking one more glance at the bed and then looked to Neelam, lowering her head.

"That will be all," Neelam commanded, watching her reaction to her daughter's predicament.

Adeline's mother bowed and left the bedchambers, with the guard following behind her. Neelam sat at the small table and consumed his meal efficiently while pondering his schedule for the day.

"My Lord, we should go to Blackvale today," Gor announced while Neelam was eating.

"Today?" Neelam asked, setting his silverware down. "Why today?"

"We must continue to advance your position."

"My position?" Neelam asked. "I am a baron now."

"Yes, but you could be so much more," Gor countered, and continued to speak to Neelam about great and wondrous things he could do and become.

Gor continued to whisper of things grand and remarkable and Neelam began to believe that he could be the greatest lord that Andor had ever seen or heard of. He returned to his meal with a newfound sense of importance. When Neelam was done with his breakfast he walked over to the bed and smacked Adeline on her backside.

"Breakfast is ready; it is time to get up."

Adeline stirred and finally sat up, bringing the sheet up to cover her. Neelam looked at her and shook his head; after all, he had already seen everything the night before. He turned away to give her some semblance of privacy and began washing up after his earlier workout.

"What are your plans for the day?" she asked, reaching for a dressing gown.

"Do not worry about my plans," Neelam chided, drying his face. "You just worry about keeping me happy."

Adeline nodded while slipping on the dressing gown and standing up. She crossed to where breakfast had been laid out. She smiled at Neelam, sat down, and began serving herself.

"That is why I wished to know your plans," she replied with a pout.

"I may be gone for a day or two," Neelam announced, as he finished getting dressed. "You may move your things here while I am gone. Do not try to escape. You would not want any harm to come to your mother."

"I am to be the Lady of the Manor?" Adeline asked hopefully.

"No," Neelam chuckled, buckling on his sword belt. "You are to be my bed warmer. Now, hurry and finish, there are things that I need to see to."

Neelam walked over, opened the door, and called out to one of the baronial guardsmen, who was guarding his door. He explained Adeline's role and what he wanted accomplished before his return. He also told him to have the word passed that he was on his way to the throne room and wanted both the captain and the first-minister to meet him there. After receiving acknowledgement from the guard, he bid Adeline good day and left for the throne room.

When Neelam entered the throne room both men were waiting for him. He asked Dieter if there was a map of the area, and if so, to have it brought to them. After the map was brought and laid out, showing all of the lands east of the Thangdaemon Forest, Neelam asked the captain, Chadrick was his name, how many men were in the guard.

"Baronial guard or City guard, Your Grace?" Captain Chadrick asked.

"Both," Neelam replied. "Also how many militia can be fielded?"

The captain explained that there were 25 baronial knights, all mounted, 50 permanent city guardsmen, foot soldiers, and the ability to call up another 200-300 local militia from the surrounding villages.

"What could Blackvale muster against us?" Neelam asked.

"About three times that, Your Grace," Dieter interjected. "Also, the city is a fortified stronghold, and its troops are seasoned veterans."

"Captain, choose your ten best knights and have them mustered and ready to travel in an hour. We ride to Blackvale," Neelam commanded. "Dieter, you have an hour to familiarize me with the city of Blackvale and its ruling body."


The County of Blackvale was a two day travel south-east of Rockyvale. It was the smaller of the two city-states east of the forest and was situated at the edge of the human lands. Smaller of the two in area size, but the city itself was three times the size of Rockyvale. Originally, the fortified city was the easternmost outpost of the lands ruled by the High Kings in Aithen. When the high kingdom fell at the end of the second age the city became a self-governed state, ruled by the Count Von Rula and his descendants.

The city itself was situated on stone foundations in the middle of farming lowlands, halfway between the forest and the sea, about three days journey either way. All of its protected lands were to the west and north since the city itself was located at the easternmost edge of habitable, farming lands.

The city was ringed by dual walls, the outer wall at twenty feet tall, and the inner at thirty. The walls were design thusly so that if the outer wall was ever captured the city's defenders could rain arrows down onto the outer wall. There was thirty feet of killing ground between the walls, with no part of the outer defenses coming in contact with the inner wall. The inner and outer gates were offset by 45 degrees and the tunneled access switched back and forth three times. There were murder holes throughout the tunneled access, as well as several drop walls to section off the tunnel.

The outer wall was built as a series of flanking turreted towers, each connected by a curtain wall. A large gatehouse at the front and six towers connected in a hexagonal design. The curtained walls were accessed by a series of stone stairs leading to battlements between each tower.

The inner wall was one long curtained structure with one main tunneled access connected to the outer wall's gatehouse. There were several hidden accesses through the inner wall to the outer courtyard known only to the Captain of the Guard and the Count.

The lands to the forest were fertile and supported an abundance of crops. The lands leading toward the sea were a series of swamps, tar pits, and oily lakes; it was also the home of several Orc tribes.

Since the fall of the high kingdom the Count became the de-facto ruler and the title had been passed down from father to son for fifteen generations. The current Count was the young bachelor, Burke von Rula, who had assumed the crown at the age of twenty, some five years ago.


Neelam dismissed the two men so that they might finish their preparations for the journey to Blackvale. He then ordered the throne room clear of guards and when the room was clear he drew Gor.

"I have questions concerning things that have happened to me."

"My Lord, ask and I will answer what I may."

"Several times when you performed great feats I felt a drain that left me weak for a moment or two, what was that?"

"The power to do the things that I can do, the things you ask of me, comes from you, My Lord. If the power I need is greater than you possess I must take some from your essence, your constitution, if you will. The fatigue you feel is the aftereffects of the drain."

"I do not understand," Neelam replied. "I provide your power?"

"You are my connection to the flow of power. Unfortunately, as you are human it is an imperfect connection. Sometimes the power I need is more than you are able to pass at a given instance. Think of it is a wellspring that I tap, if I take too much at once the well temporarily goes dry. When that happens I take from you and you feel the draining effects."

"Are the effects permanent?"

"They could be if what you ask is a great thing."

"I wish to know before that happens."

"It does not work that way, My Lord. You must be judicious in what you ask."

"Then how will I know?"

"It is certainly a conundrum, My Lord."

"That is your answer?"

"It is the only answer I have, My Lord."

"Then perhaps I should refrain from asking anything from you," Neelam replied hotly.

"That is your prerogative, My Lord but answer me this, have you felt any permanent fatigue from what you have asked of me?"

"No, but that may only mean that I have not asked for some great show of power."

"My Lord, should you not be preparing for your journey?" Gor stated, and would speak no more about the subject.

Finally in disgust Neelam sheathed the sword and left the room to make his preparations.


Neelam and his party left Rockyvale at mid-morning and would have to spend two nights on the road before reaching Blackvale. They intended to spend the first night in the inn of a village situated on the border of the two states. The weather was pleasant and they made good time, arriving at the small village on the border of the two city-states just before dinner. Neelam had Captain Chadrick secure lodging for the group while he entered the main hall in search of a table. Chadrick assigned two of the knights as Neelam's personal guards and they fell in step behind their liege. The inn had almost no guests, so Neelam had his choice of tables and selected one near the rear of the room, providing good sight lines for the front door and hallway toward the rooms, as well as the door to the kitchen. The enjoyed a hearty meal in the nearly deserted inn. The captain assigned watch rotations through the night and the rest of the party turned in, leaving instructions to be awakened at first light.

They were up at the assigned time, packed and breaking their fast when the cries of alarm, and the ringing of the village bell broke up their morning solitude. Neelam's two personal knights leaped to their feet, drew their swords, and scanned the area for threats as the rest of the knights stood. Neelam was on his feet and had Gor drawn as the captain led the rest of the knights toward the main doors.

"Your Grace, please wait here for the captain to return," the knight to Neelam's left remarked, while nervously watching the door.

Neelam's nod was the only reply as the three waited, hearing fighting and screaming from outside. It was only a few moments later that one of the knights returned to the inn and announced that an Orc raiding party was attacking the village.

"My Lord, we must wait!" Gor commanded.

"Why?" Neelam asked petulantly.

"My Lord, you are angry with me, do not be. I am bound by certain laws in what I may say or reveal. Not every question you ask can I answer."

Neelam nodded in thought, sheathed Gor, and sat back down as the messenger left presumably to report back to the captain.

"Your Grace?" the knight to Neelam's right asked, quizzically.

"Not my fight," Neelam shrugged, picking up his goblet of wine. "We wait."

The sounds of armed conflict continued for a few more moments and then suddenly stopped. It got deathly quiet outside and then the door to the inn burst inward in a shower of splintered wood. Three Orc raiders jumped through the opening and fanned out swinging their weapons back and forth. The two knights advanced while Neelam put down his goblet and stood.

"I guess it is now," he chuckled, standing and drawing Gor, who began to howl as the blade burst into silver flames, runes glowing black.

The Orc in the middle, who was the larger of the three, stopped and stared in a mixture of awe and perhaps even a little fear.

"It is true, then. The wizard said that I would find a human wielding a powerful sword," the Orc in the middle declared in broken Common and then barked a command in Orcish. "Kak deen fut!"

The Orcs to either side of the speaker lowered their weapons and relaxed their stance, appearing non-threatening. The larger Orc then lowered his war club as well. The three Orcs were large, taller and broader then even the most stout knight riding with Neelam. Their skin was a deep burnt umber as if they were born of the very earth. Their noses were flat and wide, ears tight against the side of their heads. Their armor was a mismatch of leather, chain, and even some plate, haphazardly but effectively pieced together. The stench rolling off of their bodies almost brought tears to Neelam's and his companions' eyes.

"Knights, hold!" Neelam commanded when he realized that they were no longer an immediate threat, but kept Gor up and at the ready.

The two knights stopped their advance but also kept their swords up and the two parties eyed each other hostilely before Neelam finally broke the impasse.

"Who are you and what are your intentions?" Neelam asked the Orc in the middle, the presumed leader.

"I am Maoauk," the Orc replied in a harsh broken accent, slapping his chest. "War Chief of the Death-claw tribe."

"And your intentions?"

"Aid the bearer of that sword," Maoauk replied, pointing at Gor

"Why this sword, it is nothing special?" Neelam asked, sheathing Gor. "And why does a war chief lead a raiding party?"

"Why does a lord, a bearer of a great sword lead ten knights of Rockyvale?" Maoauk replied in broken common.

"What do you want?" Neelam asked, again.

"To give aid to the bearer of that sword," Maoauk replied, again.

"I did not think Orcs gave aid to anyone," Neelam stated.

"Not usually," Maoauk replied. "There are exceptions for one who is powerful."

"I am not powerful," Neelam replied. "I am only a man."

Maoauk barked a command and the Orc to his right charged Neelam swinging his large war axe. Neelam quickly sidestepped the attack, drew Gor and slashed down diagonally, opening the Orc from his shoulder to his hip. The Orc dropped to the ground and skidded to the wall dead.

"Yes, just a man," Maoauk grumbled a chuckle. "Come, there is someone that would meet you."

Maoauk barked another command and turned and left the inn with the remaining Orc turning and following. Neelam wiped Gor clean and sheathed the sword. He nodded to himself and started for the door with the two knights quick stepping to take the lead. The knights stepped through the doorway and into the street, stopping dead in their tracks. Neelam stepped around them and took in the scene before him.

There were knights, Orcs, and what Neelam concluded were villagers, all frozen in the midst of fighting. The entire area was quiet, nothing moved, even Neelam noted, the two knights that were his guard. He saw the Orc with Maoauk frozen as well, while Maoauk himself was casually walking up the street of the village.

"Gor, what is wrong here?" Neelam asked, touching the sword's hilt.

"Wizardry, My Lord," the sword replied. "Possibly the cloaked one at the end of the street."

At the end of the street, on the outskirts of the village, was a small cloaked shaped, leaning over a gnarled wooden staff. Neelam watched Maoauk approach and speak to the shape before stepping to the side and turning back toward Neelam.

"Gor, could this wizard do me harm?" Neelam mentally asked.

"It is certainly possible, My Lord. He is undoubtedly a great wizard with this display of power."

"Can you protect me?"

"I thought you were going to refrain from asking anything of me, My Lord?"

"Gor?" Neelam asked forcibly.

"I can protect you, My Lord. It will undoubtedly cost you."

"Gor, protect me from the wizard," Neelam commanded.

"As you command, My Lord," the sword replied with just a hint of amusement in its voice.

Neelam approached the two figures, stopping about three paces in front of the wizard and the Orc war chief and then drew Gor from its scabbard. The sword burst into faint silver flames and its runes began to glow with a blackish light. Neelam felt a tingle go up and down his spine, while feeling his arm hairs tingle. He had a brief feeling of fatigue and then all of the feelings faded away.

"You wished to meet me?" Neelam asked, looking directly at the cloaked individual.

The wizard pulled back the hood of his cloak revealing the rounded head and face of an elderly goblin with greyish hair and piercing grey eyes.

"I am called Tsor Shadowheart," the wizard introduced himself. "I wish to offer my aid in your march to dominance."

"It seems many believe I need aid," Neelam countered. "What makes you think I need aid, or even what my long term goals are for that matter?"

"Your sword is a siren to others of like minded ideals and goals," Tsor replied. "It has called both Maoauk and me, it may call others."

"Gor?" Neelam asked.

"It is true, only in the sense that a flame draws the moth," the sword replied. "I did not actually call them to me but it seems my very being is a beacon to others."

"Is there something you are not telling me?"

"There are many things I have not told you, for one reason or another, My Lord."

"Hmm, what are your goals, Wizard Tsor?" Neelam asked. "Where do you see yourself in this alliance?"

"Every great lord needs a chamberlain," Tsor replied. "I do have personal goals but I believe that they will be met by aiding you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.