Mind the Time
Chapter 47

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

It all started on Labor Day. Labor Day used to be September Seventh ... no matter what ... and school started on the Eighth ... unless the Seventh happened to fall on a Friday. The Unions got more powerful and Labor Day was rearranged so it made a three day holiday ... unless it fell on Thursday ... and then the Union was off until the following Monday. A four day celebration celebrating Labor.

After the first conflict, when the Princessapality became a Nation, Too ... Wendy Too, the first Princess but the second Wendy ... except she was really Wendolyn the first ... because the first Wendy was just a Wendy and not a Wendolyn. Confused? Good! Wendy Too had said Labor Day is the Seventh and school starts on the Eighth ... of September. She made a couple of other declarations that didn't set well with the NEA ... like Summer break was 90 days long ... period. No Snow Days to make up and steal Summer from the kids. It snows ... get over it. There are hurricanes ... are there Hurricane Days?

People migrated to the New World ... the New World didn't migrate to them. You takes what you gets. Don't like winter? Go where winter doesn't.

It was her country so she made the rules. The Un-United States had rules she didn't care for ... Too picked the ones she didn't like and changed them.

Maybe that should be the Disunited States?

She didn't like the busing or consolidated schools either. Consolidating the schools was a government attempt at getting the children off the land and keeping them from helping out at home. With the children away from the farm the farmer had a more difficult time keeping the farm financially secure and that made it easier for conglomerates to buy out the small farmer.

The busing she didn't like had nothing to do with minorities. The busing that divided and disinherited families ... that she didn't like.

Nor did she like the idea that the governments New School Building design could be turned into a prison with the simple installation of bars over the too narrow windows.

Prison? Where else would a government put a bunch of disruptive, pot smoking, draft dodging, hippie degenerates?

The small school ... many of them one room with one teacher ... came back in force. The one room school taught the needs of the area. If someone wanted to go to college, the state paid for the first two years ... extraordinary accomplishments meant four years paid.

Because industry, farming, mining and fisheries in the Princessapality were developing, it was no longer necessary to be a college graduate to have a decent job. Time was no longer money. All college did was prove to an employer that the graduate was dumb enough to jump through the required hoops and therefore a perfect salaryman ... willing to work long hours without the benefit of time and a half.

Do you remember?

David and Wendy begat Wendolyn and Charles and Ben (twins).

David and Kimberley begat Gwendolyn and David III (Trey).

David and Rachael begat Leigh and Lynn (twins) and Willow.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.