Mind the Time - Cover

Mind the Time

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 21

"It's the only XP-38K-1-LO ever built ... except it's not. The XP-38K-1-LO was built by Lockheed and they refused to use Merlins.

This is the aircraft the British modified with Merlins and P-40 chins ... except, you won't find it in any book ... not even the records of Supermarine. That page is torn out of the records book. The folder was still in the file cabinet when the war was over but it was empty. Ben at Franklin Aviation called it the XP.

"First the Brits claimed they never built it but the mechanics and metal workers said they did. Then they claimed they shipped it back to the States as deck cargo with a shipload of battlefield pickups. Lockheed said they never got it. The Brits finally said the ship was torpedoed and sunk before it reached the USA. There are German periscope pictures of that ship sinking but there's not one deck aircraft visible.

"Our grandmother rescued this from Pauxtent immediately after the war. Pauxtent had a thing about testing to destruction and pitching the remains in the bay; grannie got there before they could.

Fifteen or so years later the Government, in the form of the Defense Logistics Agency, discovered we had it ... and they wanted it back. The Agency had undergone a massive shakeup and reorganization. The mess they referred to as records was finally making sense.

"There were certain aircraft that were 'supposed' to be destroyed and this aircraft was designated as one of them ... no one knew or admitted why. Jack had to step in with an executive order. That was about the time of the Bay of Pigs fiasco. Most of the family aircraft collection stems from that period.

"The National Secrets Act of 1947 forbids me to say any more." No mention was made of the fact that it's THEIR Secrets Act. The Wanzor was the one that promised ... she kept it.

Miss Anderson asked, "Jack?"

"Kennedy," The Wanzor said.

That drew puzzled looks.

"President of the United States ... I keep forgetting they're a Foreign Country." She noticed more looks, "The FED A."

That got a series of Oh's and Ah's and I see's. But they probably didn't. Ancient History ... a hundred years ago is ancient to people born eighty years after. We don't teach the royal succession of the Kings and Queens of England in high school ... We're certainly not teaching the Presidents of the country that murdered our royal family.

The Princessapality doesn't bother with American presidents ... except one ... yeah ... that one ... forever referred to as That Bitch. She is taught as a prime example of corrupted power.

"I'd like to interview the staff," Vee said.

"Not a chance ... unless you want to teach," said the Dean. "You're better than the National Champion. Want the job?"

"No, but thank you. Your students wouldn't like a 14 year old teaching."

"You're right about that," said Miss Anderson. She looked at Wendy Wanzor, "Nice to see you ... we have a photograph of you and my great great grandfather."

"Oh, I don't know any Andersons," The Wanzor said.

"It was at a party on the beach at Pentwater. He and my grandmother were the Austin Twins." With that, she walked off.

"Drat!" Vee exclaimed, "I guess we'll check out Austin. The idea of going to a school named after a relative doesn't exactly trip my trigger."

The Wanzor physically shook herself back to the now and responded, "You sure you want to take the time?" Wendy asked.

"Mom ... I promised Mom I'd look."

They flew to Del Valle. The Airport and Princessapality Military Field was home to a squadron of S&S interceptors. There have always been advocates of remotely operated aircraft ... just as there had been those who predicted the end of the projectile armed aircraft ... such devices have merit as long as the enemy had primitive weaponry. They do not work against equals with equivalent devices.

Until man invents a computer with the flight or fight concept ... an instinctive self-preservation aspect ... there will be a human in the cockpit. The REMF's always want the newest ... not necessarily the best ... but the most bang from the kickbacks.

"You have to expect losses in the name of patriotism," is their watchword. The unspoken word is, as long as it isn't me or mine.

The Princessapality military was for show. The General Admiral was the real defense.

Vee called the school ... three secretaries were fired before office wenches were convinced to put her through to the head of the Board of Regents. Perhaps fired is the wrong word. The National Access Police showed up at school and removed them. Besides ensuring universal computer access they also ensure that legitimate complaints are handled in a timely manner. Suggesting that a little gift would smooth the way to the head is a jail sentence.

Your complaint had better be for cause because false reporting is a great way for the complainant to receive the jail time instead. Since there are no land lines in the public system there is no problem with wire tapping. The airways are free. Free for anyone to record and the Princessapality does ... and that stopped certain mid-eastern governments and their plots. Junior goes after bad guys no matter how high up the pole they fly.

Vee got an audience ... no ... that's not right ... the Admissions Board got an audience with Vee ... and she didn't care for their attitudes.

"But we didn't know who you are."

"If who one is makes a difference in who you admit, then your system is flawed and Junior fought two very short and bloody wars over that attitude. WE," it was the Royal WE, "are extremely displeased. Wendy! WE shall look elsewhere."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.