Way Down South, Almost - Cover

Way Down South, Almost

Copyright© 2014 by Pappy

Chapter 14

Remember how ‘no good deed goes unpunished?’ Well that applies to intentions, too. I had ordered some of those huge general’s tents along with more supplies and some of those new .45 cal Colts and Winchester Rifles in .45 cal center fire

Mr. Jenkins had that, plus other things Miss Sue had ordered, some for here some for townsfolk, and some for Waco. After unloading some of the things in town, one wagon went on to Waco, and three others were destined for our place. Miss Sue took it upon herself to head out to the ranch with the drovers, as Mr. Jenkins wanted to see Waco for himself, and see if there was anything there to warrant an actual store yet, so on he went to Waco.

Ya’ll have heard the story about ‘curiosity and that cat, ‘ right? Well, whatever you heard was an understatement. When Miss Sue pulled in, Sgt. Williams and Ma greeted her. Sgt. Williams, bless his soul just smiled. It was Ma who lit the fire by saying, “If you want to see J D, they are out behind the stable with Riga.”

“They?’ Miss Sue asked.

Without much hesitation Ma said, “J D and his wives...” then her face turned red.

Sgt. Williams spoke up, “I’d better take you back, Riga don’t take kindly to strangers.” What he really meant was that he did not know how Soaring Eagle and Miss Sue would take to each other. He never expected that Miss Sarah would be joining that fray, Ma already knew, before anyone else. Remember who ‘ruled’.

Soaring Eagle and Miss Sarah had, unbeknownst to J D, reached an agreement of sorts. One that made sense to both of them. They would both be wives, number one, and number 2, and had been spending a lot of time together, discussing how to break this new arrangement to J D. Miss Sarah was teaching Soaring Eagle English, and vice versa. Even back then women ‘ruled the roost.’ If a man was smart, his only comment should be that infamous, ‘Yes, Dear.’

Looking back, I guess there could have been a more opportune time to tell J D what his wives had decided. Putting his arms around them and kissing each of them, sort of took that fuse and lit it. When she saw it, Miss Sue was like that keg of black powder: she exploded!

Sgt. Williams made a valiant effort to stop Miss Sue, but it was worse than trying to catch a greased pig in some contest. A scream ... no, more like the wail of a banshee was heard, as Miss Sue lunged at the three of them.

The “NO!” from J D coupled with Sgt. Williams now picking up Miss Sue and holding her feet off the ground, probably saved her life. Neither Soaring Eagle nor Miss Sarah were about to do less than their utmost to ‘protect’ their man. Not that four years of war was not a good training ground for J D. In what is called a ‘Command Voice’ J D once again issued an order.

“Stop, all of you! What the Hell are you doing, Sue?”

It was no longer ‘Miss Sue.’

Her reply was “You up and got married!” as though it was not something she should have expected.

She was still off the ground in Sgt. William’s arms. Her struggling became less and less of a struggle and more and more that she was just about cradled in his arms. What once were arms around her waist had ridden up a bit. Neither seemed distressed about that but to an onlooker like Soaring Eagle and Sarah, a woman could plainly read the signs.

One looked at the other, and both laughed a bit.

From Sarah, “Sue, you better speak with Ma, right quick! If anyone plans to marry one of her sons she better know first, and give the okay.”

Now tears were streaming down both of them. To be called Son ... which was so obvious, to any one seeing the family ... was something Sgt. Williams had never thought possible to happen.

“Give it up, ‘Brother.” You had best do as my wives say, or Ma will tan your hide. Sue, I think my ‘Brother’ will put you down, if you promise not to hurt me. He has been saving my ass, nigh onto five years. Now that I have my wives to keep me right, he can go about saving you.”

They went back to the house. Sgt. Williams never did take his hands off of her. It did not look like she minded. Back in the house after Ma, Johnny was the first to see them. He had been telling his sister all the things Sgt. Williams had been doing with him. Teaching him how to ride, shoot, read sign, about cattle, horses and how to best stay alive. In effect he was like father and brother wrapped into one man, and Johnny never hesitated to tell his Sis what he thought she should do. He finally had a life, and figured she deserved one too!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.