Way Down South, Almost - Cover

Way Down South, Almost

Copyright© 2014 by Pappy

Chapter 4

Even if my knowledge of the fairer sex had not been as good as it should have been for a Texas boy, I had learned an awful lot about trail life and ‘being prepared’ while fighting in that dust-off they called a War. Them Boy Guides, or some such, could have learned a might from me.

Before I headed out of Dallas, I decided to add to my supplies. Now Fort Worth was a growing town, but Dallas was already right sized. I saw things I had never seen much, before. Two things, in particular, got my attention. The first were new weapons: the Colt .45 DA (double action revolver), and a brand new rifle by a company called Winchester. It was brand spanking new in 1866, and used the same .44-40 the Henry did. Sweet! The store had three models, the Yellowboy Carbine, the Yellowboy Short Rifle and the Yellowboy Long Rifle. I lost one shot versus the Henry, but these I could hold. They had a piece of wood to grip, so I did not have to let the rifle cool after three or four shots as I had to do with the Henry. Man, I was in-love with these and wanted two of each; all they had, actually, and 1,000 more rounds of the .44-40 Rimfires.

The man at the general store must have thought he had died and was blessed. He told me Winchester would be making them in a .45 next year or so to use the same load as the new Colt .45 DA revolver, if I wanted to order now he would get me ‘em. I wanted six of each, two dozen of the new Colt revolvers and 10,000 rounds of the new .45 ammo, figured the boys would get use out of them too. I agreed with him on a $1,000 deposit the rest when they came in, I even got me a receipt. He wanted to put a sign up saying I was his first customer showing what I had bought and what was on order; he was so pleased he gave me two derringer ‘hideouts’ just in case, both were two shot and very nice in a pinch.

I hoped I was through. Nope this place must have been run by a Yankee for when I asked him about supplies, my eyes lit up like a kid during Xmas when I saw it. It was a tent, just like those Damn Yankee Generals had, only this was even bigger, an entire family could live in one. There was so much trail gear he had I just told him that I wanted just about everything he could think of, including all the matches, coffee, sugar, salt, beans and rice to keep six men in grub for four or five months. You never know. He added some flour, bacon, eggs and a new jerky saying it was on-the house and would not last that long, though ... and did I have a sister he could marry? I asked him for an estimate how much everything would cost me and would one more mule be able to carry the added stuff, I already had one and some space on him too.

“$1500 plus the $1,000 deposit ought to cover it for now” he said. It was expensive but he had cut me deals on the other guns and rifles and ammo, since both Colt and Winchester were eager to have their product used in Texas and had extended a huge discount for a few early users, they saw a huge market in the West. They were right on with that kind of thinking.

I had enough gold in my money belt and politely asked him if there was a place where I might have some privacy for a few. He laughed. Since I had told him I and my family were from Fort Worth and we, me included, had decent sized spreads; he asked me my bank’s name. Then he told me that rather than pay up now; he would have the local banker, his brother, come on over and meet his new best customer. I could sign something called a sight draft and my Fort Worth money would be wired to the bank in Dallas to pay the bill. I was beginning to really like Mr. Jenkins a whole lot. If I read him right, there were many things we all would be needing in Fort Worth. When I told him that and that there was already a store in town, and a young, pretty girl was just waiting to open it; I had his full attention. I told him I’d wire my Ma and Pa, tell them what I had in mind, what I would be doing and that a Mr. Jenkins from Dallas would be coming, and to have him meet up with Miss Sue about getting together; with a store, at least. Man, I was ‘fixin’ up’ everybody but me with a girl. I was pleased about not only my weapons and new camp gear, but that I still had a passel of gold money, thanks to Mr. Jenkins and his brother, I could not forget Sgt. Williams and his gathering ways either. I went off to buy me a new mule or two and maybe another horse for my campaign against the ‘Red Man’. The Comanche had been friends of the ‘Cause’ so perhaps the Apache or some others would be the enemy now. I headed off to the livery. Dallas was mighty big, so there were a dozen nearby. Mr. Jenkins gave me names of several. Then he told me to meet him at the hotel tonight, as he was buying for his best customer. I never ever would refuse free food and drink if I liked the person. So, promising to meet him at six or so, I headed out. I still had my old DA revolvers, that had been modified during the War. Damn I sure wanted to try them new Colts and the Winchesters out!

I guess I was living right. At the very first livery Mr. Jenkins had referred me to, I struck pay dirt. He had mules. A lot of mules. Homesteaders, farmers and settlers from all over, were coming into Texas and trading, or trying to trade, livestock for land. We had a fair bit of land in Texas, I suspect. Anyway, he would sell me three nice mules that were trained to follow without a lead rope. This was mighty handy on the trail. Also, a mule was almost a good if not better than some dogs, at sniffing out trouble a’comin’. Not only that, but you could tie these mules in front of or behind horses, and they paid no never mind. These mules too, were not gun-shy. They would remain ground broke in a fight. He had nothing to speak of as far as horses. I told him where my other mule and Red were and he promised to have them brought over and the three new mules ready with empty packs whenever I was ready. I paid the man $250 in gold for all three mules and everything else to get and keep them ready for up to ten days, figuring I’d be on my way before then. I figured I overpaid some, with the old mule in exchange but then again, them three mules were prime stock. He did know of a body who had a fine horse for sale. He was an immigrant but kept the horse at a stable across town. Few in town had been willing to buy a horse for the $500 he was asking, but supposedly it was a horse that the likes of which had not been seen in these parts. Now that got my interest up.

No self respecting Texan walks! I went back to get ‘Red’ and told the livery I had a man getting the mule I had sold. On the way over I stopped at the telegraph office and sent Pa a wire. I explained the best I could a little bit about everything. Most of it was to tell the bank there that I was needing some money in Dallas, and to help out Mr. Samuel Jenkins here with a bank transfer for me. Most everything else was about them new Colt DA’s and the Winchester carbines and rifles. When the man told me $27.50 for the Telegram, and it was just going to Fort Worth, I almost fainted. I looked at what I had writ, and shaking my head I handed him a eagle and double eagle, telling him to keep the change. I felt it was a robbery, but it sure beat riding back home.

I got over to the other livery and said I was there to look at and find out about a horse for sale there.

“Ja, Mr. Rudiger Bauer, he brought him over all the way from the Spanish port of Yansa.” [Llança, Spain]

The stable girl came here with him. She was orphaned in the War and was from Lancaster, PA, and he had brought them both out. Hans, the stable keep said the horse seemed partial to the girl handler. He knew of no one else, other than those two, who the horse would mind.

When I first set eyes on the shiny pearl colored coat and piercing eyes I thought the price of $500 was way too low. He was an Andalusian, also known as the Pure Spanish Horse (Pura Raza Española). The Andalusian has been recognized as a war horse for centuries, and was prized by the Spanish government, and kings across Europe alike. I guess word gets around when money is involved. Mr. Rudiger Bauer came in followed by a couple big men I thought of as bodyguards rather than ranch hands. “He is a fine horse, one of the finest of them. Are you interested in him?”

“Yes, most certainly, I have never seen a better looking fellow in my life, and I was a Cavalry Major during the War. Even General Lee’s ‘Traveler’ was not as fine a warhorse. Not to spite myself but may I please ask why you would be selling such a fine specimen?” [Traveler 1857 to 1871 was Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s most famous horse during the American Civil War. He was a gray American Saddlebred of sixteen hands, noted for speed, strength and courage in combat.]

“Sarah, go fit him out with everything, let this one see how Riga feels about him, when they ride.”

He turned to me. “While the girl gets Riga fit to ride, I will answer your question. It was to be a gift to my son. He had come to Texas to buy land and raise horses. Riga was to be breed to the best this new land had to offer. I have several breed mares that I brought along but none might compare to Riga, he is unique, as you may find out if he takes to you. My son died, or was killed, or whatever, as it is there is nothing here for me now. The horse and girl became like a bond, she had no one and nowhere to go so, she came with me, actually she came to be with Riga I think.”

Our talk was interrupted by a nose pushing at my back. Riga stood, sort of prancing from hoof to hoof in saddle and tack. They had pictures of horses like Riga drawn in books of Knights of old. His Squire Sarah had her one hand up to her mouth in wonder.

“I think he will listen to you, my friend?”

My sentiments exactly, except to me, there was no doubt in my mind that this was going to be my horse. He would become the champion of our little spread and sire a generation of foals that would endure forever. I almost could step up on that rig, for he lowered his head and shoulder almost to the ground as I started to mount up. Hans and Mr. Bauer were now just as amazed as Miss Sarah.

I heard, “He has never done that!”

I took Riga for a ride. or should I say he took me. It was like sitting in a chair, whatever gait we went, it seemed the same kind of comfort. I wanted this horse as badly as anything else I ever wanted. With some wetness in my eyes, caused by wind and sand no doubt, we returned to the stable. Again in trying to dismount, Riga just seemed to lower to the ground as I just slide off.

“Herr Bauer,” (I assumed he was more than some settler), “you said there was some breeding stock. How much for them, also?”

“There are nine, three of each color. They, I will let you have for another $500. I do not need your money, know that if you buy them, poor Sarah will be heart broken and out of work. All their price you should give to her to start over, she is very special too, just like Riga is.”

It took me all of eight or nine seconds to make a decision. “Sold! $1,000 but only if you and Miss Sarah will travel to Fort Worth where my family is, and live with us and raise horses. We need someone to tell them how to do it right with Riga. As you said he is special as are you and Miss Sarah. It is my hope that when, and if I get back, all our ranches will be overrun with Riga’s sons and daughters. You both can name you own price to do that and when or if Miss Sarah decides to leave, we will get her something of her own, but neither of you need ever move again. Do we have a deal, Herr Bauer and Miss Sarah?”

Now that wind and sand must have come around again cause, both of them were stating to mist up. Words seemed to not come out either as all both could do was nod yes.

I rode back to send another wire and face that no-account robber, again. This time I asked that ten riders come to take Riga and the mares back. I was taking no chances. I had heard that ‘good things happen, at times, to good people’, so I figured I must be one of them. I had Herr Bauer and Miss Sarah go back with me to the Hotel for that meal with Mr. Jenkins. Surprise! Both Samuel and Jeremiah Jenkins were there waiting for me. They both talked like twins do, at the same time, and told me everything was done. There were a few surprises for me too.

All this was done before I had sent my other telegram about Riga. Mr. Samuel Jenkins handed me a wire from Pa. It read, in full words this time: ‘Sent you $40,000, Sgt. Williams found some old ‘Greenback’s and the bank here took them without any hassle or discount. If those new guns are as good as you seem to think, all your boys and the ranch hands want ‘em. I suspect you’ll have enough for yourself, but order us 100 Carbines, and 50 of them long Rifles, 200 of the new Colt DA Revolvers and 100,000 of that new .45 ammo. We can also use about half that many more now, even if it’s in .44-40, things might be gettin’ a might dicey since your boys bought some more land. Oh, one more thing, we want to buy through Miss Sue, here in Fort Worth. Miss Sue went and opened up the place in town. We told her our first order and she cried, saying she had no way to get those things. I mentioned that a Mr. Jenkins would be coming in and assuming she and him could work something out, he had everything she would need with his Dallas store. You are a good son, J D. Dad.’

Banker Jenkins slapped me on the shoulder saying I need to sign some paper at the bank, as the extra money was already in an account in my name there. The other Mr. Jenkins told me to pick up the things I needed, tomorrow. He had brought the Colts and Winchesters with him, for me. He had ‘peeked at the wire’ and already sent off to both Colt Arms and Winchester for the things Pa wanted. They were like kids in a candy store, he said. Both companies had wired back that same day. Both wanted to meet me and present me with something to celebrate their biggest order since the War. I suggested they see Pa or Sgt. Williams in Fort Worth, since I had no idea where I would be.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.