Continuing Chance
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Rattling along in the middle of the night ... Oh ... wait. I forgot to relate HOW we got to rattle.

So ... we loaded our HOE LEE SHE IT bicycles on the Suburban, Piper climbed in the backseat and we left Dunedin. We drove the Taieri road to Three Mile Hill and past Half Way Bush.

We followed the twists and turns to Dukes and our driveway to the former Training Command airfield just outside Mosgiel. All ready our trip was beautiful. Three Mile Hill road is at the bottom of a straight up ... towering majestic vistas.

We checked out the Minus Q, fueled up, loaded the bicycles in the Q, stashed the Suburban in the hangar, locked up and the three of us flew to Frankton.

There we landed on the grass and taxied to an elderly WW2 hangar, stowed the Q, reassembled the bikes, shouldered our Tramp packs and biked, with Piper loping alongside, to Queenstown. We had already made arrangements to take the railcar ferry to Kingston on the other end of the lake.

While we waited for the ferry we shopped and had a picnic at the terminal benches.

"Grace, where is a bathroom? Did you notice?"

"There's a Ladies in the terminal, I didn't see a Gents ... ooh ... I have to go. See what you can find." She jumped up and headed for the small office. I moved away from the docks and roamed.

I spotted a Jewellery Stockist. I stepped in to inquire about a Gents and saw the perfect birthday gift for Grace. I had never seen anything like it.

"That," I pointed at the article, "Is a perfect gift for my sister. Run my card, cash, or a check will you? While you're doing that ... is there a Gents?"

Directed, I went ... and went ... and came back feeling much better.

"Your card was fine ... if you'll produce some identification ... ah ... Diplomatic Passport. Yes indeed, Commander Austin. Sign here. A pleasure, I'm sure." I signed the £1300 charge slip, got a handshake and a smile.

Thirteen hundred pounds for a place to shit is pretty expensive.

The long slim packet fit in my Tramp pack. I chuckled as I walked out of the store and back to the dock.

Grace was seated leaning against the table with the sun on her face and long slim legs. She had released two buttons of her khaki shirt and looked stunning ... as usual.

"Did everything come out alright?" she grinned.

"Yes, Grace, paperwork and all."

Of course, she was thinking of one thing and I was talking of something else entirely.

The ferry arrived, unloaded, loaded and we were off. Lake Wakatipu is in the shape of an elongated N, fifty miles long as the crow flies. The route the ferry travels is 52 miles. Beautiful vistas, high peaks, icy glaciers, tall waterfalls ... and Grace. My camera was continually busy. Photos of Grace and her long bushy deep red hair, sparkling green eyes and lovely smile will grace my walls. A poster or five made up for the treehouse ... ah ... frustration personified. The loveliest girl in the world ... and my sister.

It's NOT fair!!

In Kingston, we hopped the train to Invercargill.

Lunch ... dinner actually, and a room for the night at The Victoria Railway Hotel. It was built in 1896 opposite the Invercargill Railway Station to serve train travelers to the region. In 1907 the hotel was expanded to cater for increased demand. A little worn in 1960, but offering fine accommodation and a licensed restaurant for in-house guest dining ... and right at the tracks. We ate ... checked into our suite and did the before bed things. The Suite was two bedrooms, a sitting room and a bath. I crawled in and seconds later a hip bumped me over.

Frustration is Grace ... who cannot sleep either dressed or alone. She considers me her warming blanket.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.