Protection and Preservation, Book 07
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Janice writes]

We stood in plain sight with our rifles at rest. We were wearing sneakers, shorts, and tee shirts. Mine were tighter than Robby's were. The two people approaching us on horseback were a man and a woman. They were good-looking people though both looked to be in their mid to late forties. The woman was Hispanic and still very attractive.

I couldn't resist it. "Arnold and Maria Ralston, I presume?"

They looked shocked and nodded slowly. "I am Janice Cook-Thomas-Sullivan and he is Robby, one of my husbands. We're glad to meet you in person."

The woman spoke with a tiny accent. "You surprised us. After all these years, we didn't expect anyone who knew us to come."

Arnold spoke. "We didn't expect anyone to come. Do you come in peace? What are you looking for?"

I smiled. "We come in peace. We've been looking for you. Would you join us at the terminal and we can share stories." They both nodded and dismounted from their horses. We led them to the terminal with the horses behind us. We went inside the terminal and its shade after tying the horses out of the way.

Arnold said, "Please, tell us your story. You fly!"

I said, "I will let my son tell you our history. It was his investigation that led us here.

"Charlie, you have been successful. Andy may come with you but you have to talk."

Charlie came to Arnold and Maria and shook their hands with Andy by his side. Maria said it for them. "Andy, you are absolutely gorgeous. You and Charlie make a beautiful couple."

Andy smiled. "We will be married next year when we're old enough. We're also pilots. Charlie flew one of the planes this morning." Both our guests found this interesting.

Charlie said, "It all started with Janice Mom and Bennie Dad. They were members of the community of Preservation and its official explorers. They found my other three parents in the community of Protection. After they married, we all began to explore. As you have seen, we use airplanes. Outside are King, the second, and Bluebird. We first heard of you when we found your manuscript in San Salvador. It is quiet and deserted there now. After we returned, my Uncle Mike and Aunt Jen wanted to search for you and led a party including our family to California. I met Andy in El Paso. We're in love and waiting to reach the age of consent before we can be married. All of our communities have read your two manuscripts. I started studying them particularly the second one a few months ago. I mapped out our flight routes and knew where you weren't but then had to think about where you were. The more I looked at your story and maps, the more certain I became that you were here.

"We flew here from Preservation's airport in Georgia stopping at Jackson, Mississippi; Dallas, Texas; El Paso, Texas, where we visited friends; and Phoenix, Arizona, where the valley people live, who are our friends. We began the next phase of our trip at San Diego. We decided to try here.

"I am gratified to find you."

Maria said, "That is an amazing story succinctly told. I am sure there is more but we came here hoping for people with peaceful intentions. We are happy to find you. Would you join us and have someone tell your story. We will tell our story from San Diego then, too."

Everyone looked at me. Charlie said, "Mom Janice, it looks like you're elected again." He grinned and everyone else chuckled.

Arnold smiled. "This is apparently an old joke. We can bring a couple of wagons. We are working on an electric car but haven't had much luck since there is little demand for it. Maria, you stay and I'll get transportation set up." She nodded at him and he left. I left her to talk with Andy and Charlie while we gathered possessions and other equipment for the wagon ride to the living areas.

It didn't take much time and Arnold returned moments later with three wagons. An older but physically able man jumped from one. Arnold said, "Jam, Roberto, help some of them load on your wagons. We'll spread the load."

I said, "Jam! I haven't heard that name in years. I'm Janice Cook-Thomas-Sullivan but I was Janice Matthews then."

He said, "Janice! I remember you. It's been a long time. Arnold said a beautiful woman from the east named Janice was one of your leaders. I just didn't make the connection. Ride with me and tell me about what's happening."

Robby and Mel came up and I said, "Jam, I will be happy to do that. These are two of my spouses, Melissa and Robby. Wow! This will be a reunion!"

We loaded wagons with our light packs, bedrolls, and our bodies. I sat up front with Jam. "We lost touch with you years ago. One of the purposes of this trip was to find out what happened to the Salt Lakers, another was to find Arnold, and still another was to explore the northwest. After you folks left, I married Bennie and we began exploring after a few more small wars. Preservation has spread from Mississippi into South Carolina. Bennie and I met Mel, Pam, and Robby when we found Protection in Tennessee. We became all married to each other. Our oldest is Charlie with the beautiful young girl. Next is Bobbi in Preservation. She is with Andrea's brother. Then there are SJ, Amos, Doris and Elaine in that order. Pam and I have never gotten pregnant so Melissa has had them all. We all claim them and they all claim us."

Charlie leaned forward and said, "We're proud to claim her as a mother to us all."

Jam smiled. I continued. "We all explore and most of us are pilots. Preservation and Protection are closely allied. We are also allied with Pintlala in Alabama, Lavaca and El Paso in Texas, and the Valley People of Phoenix, Arizona. There are people in Dallas and Tucson but we have little contact with them by their choice.

"Let me save the rest for your entire community. Arnold suggested that you would meet with us tonight. We will want to hear the rest of Arnold's story and yours. Jam, it's good to see you after all these years. Jim Sinclair will be glad to hear from you. We still use the radios and will set one up for this afternoon."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.