Protection and Preservation, Book 07 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 07

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 24

[Arnold's manuscript]

We didn't think about the weather. Overnight, I heard the rain and wind come. When we woke, it was still raining and coming down hard. We had breakfast and watched the weather through the windows. We were keeping the lights off or covered from the road as a precaution. It rained for two days solidly. We spent another day inside to let things dry out a little and to allow any who wanted to get out and investigate early a chance to do that and let us see them.

We saw and heard nothing. During that afternoon, we sat in the back area tanning naked. Maria said she wanted me to build up a tan all over. I do know that spreading and rubbing in tanning lotion became foreplay quickly. We made love on the blanket we put out there for our tanning. We swam in the pool. We dried off and tanned. We made love again. It was a good day.

After supper, we cuddled and enjoyed each other's presence. We went to bed and, after making love, slept peacefully through the night. In the morning, we rose and showered together enjoyably. We dressed in our traveling clothes and ate a light breakfast.

We would check out the city today. We were debating using our bikes or the truck. I said, "Let's find a car. I will load the truck for a getaway if we need it." We loaded the truck and walked next door. In that garage, we found a Miata with a stick shift. There was what appeared to be an extra set of keys on the wall. The battery was dead but it could be jump-started. We managed to push it off and let it run to charge the battery. The gas tank was almost full. I liked it because it would be quick and highly maneuverable.

We left the garage door open and I noticed an opener on the visor. I tested it and it worked. We pulled out and headed into town on a surface road enjoying the wind blowing with the top and windows down. We had to weave a little because of cars left on the road but saw no signs of violence.

Reaching the middle of town, I could see the signs of the fire that had produced the smoke. It looked to me like a signal fire because there was nothing but wood that had burned. We looked around but saw no people or any signs of people. I stopped about twenty feet from the fire. I looked at Maria and said, "Do you think I should try honking?"

She looked around. I could hear the caution in her voice. She said, "I think so. The fire looks like they meant to signal. It's a risk but I think it's worth it."

I honked a couple of double taps and then gave some long ones. We waited just sitting in the car quietly. A few minutes later, a couple came down the street toward us waving in a friendly manner. Maria waved back. She looked at me. "I guess the next step in this is to get out of the car." I nodded and opened the door and slowly levered my way up. Maria joined me.

We walked toward the other couple holding each other's hand. We met them half way. The man said, "Welcome to Tuxtla. We are Juan and Flora Gomez. We met and married ourselves after the Day. There are six more in our group. Who are you and where did you come from?"

I said in Spanish, "I am Arnoldo Ralston and this is my wife, Maria. We met in El Salvador after the Day. We married ourselves, too.

"Maria's brother and his wife were killed by marauders shortly after we started from San Salvador. San Salvador had been taken over by gangs. We are headed for the U. S. or a place where there are friendly people and a way to live in peace."

Juan said, "We are happy here and are building a new community for the future." As he said that, I noticed that Flora's face had a grimace go across it. I suddenly felt that something was wrong but wasn't sure what.

I said, "Is there a place here where we can sit and talk?" Juan nodded. "Let's go there and relax. You can tell us about your group and its members." Now, Juan looked very slightly troubled.

He pointed and said, "We frequently meet in that shop for cool drinks and to talk in the afternoons.

"We'll meet you there after we move the car. Come with me, please, Maria."

We got in the car and I cranked it. I said, "Maria, there's something wrong. Watch Flora's eyes and expression. Don't agree to anything until after we talk privately."

She looked at me curiously but said, "Okay, Arnoldo. I will do that. Perhaps I can get her to join me in the restroom a little later."

I moved the car and we went in to the little cantina and shop. It was neat. Juan asked if we would like a cold drink. I asked for a can of Coke. Maria said, "Make mine a Diet Coke, please." Juan nodded. He returned a moment later with two cans of Coke, one diet, and two bottles of beer. He handed the Cokes to me. I opened Maria's and handed it to her and then opened mine. They opened their beers. We sat around the table and talked.

We talked about the rain that we had had. Juan said that it must make traveling difficult in our small car. I said, "Yes, but the car is highly maneuverable and we don't carry much. We tried an SUV but other cars on the road made travel difficult and we abandoned it."

Flora said, "It is a cute car. We don't drive much because we live close together and don't need cars. Ernesto doesn't like them." Juan gave her a quelling look. I glanced at Maria and knew she saw Flora's reaction.

"Juan, would you tell us about yourselves and the other members of your group?"

"Of course. Flora and I worked in the same office building before the Day and lived in the same apartment complex. We had met in passing. As people began to sicken and die, there was less of a crowd and our similarities let us see each other. We became friends and then closer as the time went on." He smiled at her gently and, this time, her smile in return was genuine and unforced.

He continued, "Esteban and Mira were married before the Day and survived. They were teachers and lived in a small house."

Maria said, "Flora, I need to use the restroom. Would you show me the way?" Flora nodded and stood with Maria. They left for the back.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.