Protection and Preservation, Book 07
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Janice – In Phoenix, Arizona]

I woke up with no more decided in my mind than when I went to sleep. Robby was next to me with Melissa on his other side. We three had loved gently last night before sleeping. I hadn't talked to anyone about the conversation with Mindy. I still wasn't sure I wanted to talk about it yet because I wasn't sure yet how I felt.

I got up quietly and dressed. Leaving a note, I went outside to walk around. Even when Bennie and I traveled on horseback, I still liked to walk early in the morning. It helped me to think things through. I enjoyed my walk but came to no startling conclusions. I knew I was attractive but the angle that Mindy put on it considering her beauty as well as the revelations about Charlie were a pretty big gulp.

It was early so few people were out. You would almost think it was before the Day. It made me think about what might have happened if the Day hadn't occurred. I had to admit that my life was much better than I could have conceived way back then. My path before the Day had not been promising. Since the Day and after the Ed's, it was a story of constantly improving times for me. I loved my spouses and children. I would never have been able to have them otherwise. I loved my communities and flying. I realized that I truly enjoyed my life.

I turned the corner to our houses and Mindy was sitting on her porch. She waved me over and said, "I have fresh coffee. Join me, please."

She brought me coffee and I sipped it. Like everything I had seen her do, it was good. She said, "I think you've been thinking on what I said last night but haven't talked to anyone about it as yet.'

"You're good. I don't think even Mel, Melissa, caught on."

"She probably would have had she seen you turn the corner. What conclusions have you reached?"

"Charlie and Andy will have to deal with their relationship as it does or doesn't evolve. She's a great girl but they're young."

"That's true. The world has things happen sooner than it used to. She's always had attention since she was a baby. Herb dotes on her though cares enough to keep her straight. No matter what happens, it will be good for her to have to work at something. I sometimes fear that life comes too easy for her.

"Now, what about you?"

"I've thought about what you said. I've never truly considered myself a beauty. I've always known I was good looking with a nice figure. I'm a bit of an exhibitionist. I like to show a bit of cleavage and love to wear short shorts. I've noticed that men look but never thought I was that pretty. I always figured it was because there was frequently lots of skin showing. I've never thought about it further than that.

"I did decide that I love my life. As terrible as the Day was for so many, it was good for me. I look at my life and realize that, without Poppa Jack and Momma Shirley, it would have turned out very differently. Bennie and then the rest of my spouses have brought me to a really good place in life. I can't have kids and our kids are a pleasure to me.

"I've just never thought of being idolized. Bennie and Robby don't treat me like a fine vase. I've always felt that I was just part of a great, big, wonderful relationship."

Mindy said, "You are and you are an integral part of it. I know that you were teaching the other women in our party martial arts, I want Andrea and I included in that class. I would like us to have confidence in our own abilities in problem situations.

"Sure. It's open to everyone. Sooner or later, I will meet someone on my level which will make things interesting."

Mindy said, "That's not the word I would use but it will do.

"Back to you, why not consider yourself a question that men shouldn't ask if they had good sense or were thoughtful about others. Most of the men you punish would do or have done to others the things they want to do to you."

She looked up and then winked at me. "Now, the question is, should we allow Andrea to continue to see Charlie?"

I caught it. "I'm not sure. They're awfully young and may not have thought this out very well."

"Mom, Missus Janice, that's not fair! Please tell me you're kidding?"

I said deadpan, "Okay. We're kidding."

She came around and had tears in her eyes. "Missus Janice, please!"

"Andy, we're just having fun with you. We will not stop you two from seeing each other as long as you both obey the rules and desire to see each other." She gave us each a hug and went over to our door and knocked. Charlie came out and they sat down together holding hands. I said, "We almost pushed her too hard, Mindy."

"I know but it was fun. She hasn't ever been denied and I don't think she isn't even sure what it is she wants though Charlie is the target."

"I wonder how he feels being a bull's-eye?"

"He probably likes it, Janice. In about eighteen months, it will be more than just a question."

"True, true." We laughed together.

Mindy said, "Well, I guess we had better start our day."

"Yes, I'm going to put half of our young lovers to work. Do you want the other half?"

"I might as well. She will slow Charlie down and I can keep her busy for a bit."

I left and went over to our house and put Charlie to work sending Andy home to her mother. Charlie was put into service making up beds and helping his brother and sisters. I told him that when he finished to come in the kitchen to help or eat breakfast. He nodded and went to work. As was usual for Charlie, he completed his tasks cheerfully and completely. He came into the kitchen and helped Pam and me to finish preparing breakfast and then serving it. After eating, I thanked him and said, "Have fun, son."

He started to go out and then stopped and said, "Mom, may I talk to you for a minute?"

"Of course, I'm always available to you."

"Thanks, Mom." We went into the living room away from the rest. He said, "Mom, I'm not sure what to do. I enjoy Andy's company but I don't want to sit on the porch holding hands all day."

"Okay, what do you want to do?"

He said, "I want to explore and talk on the radio. I want to practice fighting with you. I need to practice my shooting, too."

I chuckled. "Have you told Andy that you wanted to do any of those things?"

"No, ma'am."

"Why don't you tell her, 'Let's go, ' and pick one of those things and see if she'll go with you. I bet she will. If she doesn't, you will at least hear why."

"What if she won't go?"

"I think she will but then you have to make a choice. She's a very pretty girl but there are other pretty, smart girls in the world who would enjoy participating in your life."

"I hadn't really thought about that but I guess that's true."

He continued, "I guess I would rather resolve that issue now rather than later."

I was a little surprised but said, "Good for you."

He left and went next door to the porch. I watched from a window. Andy came to the door and out on the porch. There was a short discussion and she leaned in the door and then they left holding hands. I stepped out onto the porch.

Charlie said, "We're going exploring. I see Mister Ted up ahead. I'll ask him for good, safe places. Thanks, mom. I love you."

Charlie stopped Ted for a moment and spoke with him. He and Andy nodded and headed down the street still holding hands. Ted came on to our place and walked up to the porch.

I said, "Good morning, Ted. Have a seat. May I get you something to drink?"

"Thank you, Janice. I'm fine.'

"Okay, what can we do for you, Ted?"

He said, "I have a couple of things in mind. First, you talked about radios. We would like to get into contact with those other communities. We'll need you to help set us up with everything to operate. There are a couple of hams here but they weren't very active even before the Day.

"The second thing is many of the women including my wife want some training in martial arts. We know you can't teach them everything but some ability would help them in an emergency.

"What do you think?"

"Well, Ted, we try to spread radios wherever we go. So, your first is a no-brainer. The second is something I am quite willing to do. Like you said, I can't, of course, teach everything but I can teach some basic defensive moves. I will be happy to do that.

"Charlie and Andy may come back with radios or information on them. He enjoys setting them up and using them. Andy, on the other hand, is still learning."

Ted said, "Thank you, Janice. They make a good looking young couple."

"I think so, too. However, the rules at Preservation set the age of consent and marriage at fifteen. That means they must wait. Jen, Mike's wife, had to go through that wait though everyone expected them to marry almost from birth. She grabbed Mike early and never let go."

He said, "They seem to have been married longer than I would have thought."

"She started following him everywhere when she was a baby and Mike, over the years, learned to love her back. They're a great pair. His parents are my foster parents and our dad is the leader of Preservation."

"Oh, yeah. You mentioned that."

"This expedition was Mike's idea. When we were in Central America, we read the journal of a young man who was leaving San Salvador to return to L.A. That story caught Mike and Jen's interest. When they returned from their honeymoon, we started preparations for this trip to include searching for the young man.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.