Protection and Preservation, Book 07
Chapter 6: Janice - In El Paso

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

The meal progressed nicely very similar to others I had been to over the years in other places. Everyone was friendly and I enjoyed talking to many of the men and women in the community. Covertly, I watched Charlie and Andrea. She looked like no girl I had ever seen. Interestingly, she seemed to enjoy Charlie's company. He came by my seat during desert and whispered, "Wow! She's smart."

I whispered back, "Just be you. Watch out for other guys who might be jealous."

"Yes, mom!"

He went back to her with two deserts, one for each of them. People had moved around some and Mindy and her husband were sitting across from me. Robby was beside me. Mindy said, "Janice, Andrea seems to like Charlie. I've never seen her talk to any of the local boys much before. He looks to be a fine young man."

I said, "He's our oldest. Actually, he was born before Bennie and I married Robby, Pam, and Melissa. We just claim them all as our own. The kids seem to do the same though I have to admit that Charlie and Bobbi are my favorites though I would never tell them or the others."

Herb said, "Andrea is young but has a cautious streak about her. She usually doesn't talk to young men. She seems to like your son."

"Andrea is a beautiful young lady. Charlie has just started to show an interest in girls. The rest of his parents and I have tried to raise him to be a gentleman."

Mindy smiled at my words. I realized that Herbert might be the only man other than her late husband who doesn't put her on a pedestal though it was obvious that he adored her. As the four of us talked, we were asked how we got together. I waited for Robby interested in how he would explain it all.

He looked at me and quickly realized that I wasn't going to talk. He said, "Lovie, Pam, and I got married shortly after the Day. She had been single before. My wife died from the virus. We had been given the care of a brother and sister. We found they were involved in a loving, albeit incestuous, relationship. Pam and I were intentionally seduced and then loved into a relationship and, after a lot of talk, our church's pastor agreed to marry us all. We lived together and Melissa had Charlie and Bobbi. Our other husband, Charles, was killed helping fight off an attack by marauders. His death was amply revenged. We were operating as a trio until we met Janice and Bennie. The three of us were living in Protection and they were the initial ones from Preservation when the communities met.

"Over a period of time, we became good friends. We stayed at their place when visiting Preservation and they stayed with us when visiting Protection. One night with our knowledge and consent, Melissa went into their bedroom and explained that we should be one five rather than a two and a three. The next morning, we were talking about the logistics of combining our households and had two double weddings, one at each location. It's worked for us though three wives and two husbands keeps the husbands tired." He chuckled. "We love each other greatly and have the numbers to allow a lot of freedom in our relationship. I guess it helps that we're all a little crazy."

Herb said, "After the Day, we all have been a little crazy."

I said, "That's true. Some have been crazier than others. We have all lost people over the years." I later found out that Herb's first wife and two children all died of the virus. It was true that so many lost someone due to the Day.

Bennie had hooked up a speaker to the radio to enhance the incoming audio so all gathered could hear.

Mike would be our operator tonight. He turned the radio on and heard his mother's sweet tones asking for distant check-ins. He said, "Hi, Mom! Is El Paso, Texas, distant enough?"

"Mike!" She said loudly. "I'll get back to you in a moment. Anyone else in the distance wanting to check-in?" There was silence. She came back on saying, "Go ahead, son. Tell us about your trip today. You left Dallas this morning as planned, I guess."

"That's correct, mom. We arrived in El Paso this morning, got a bus running, and headed into the city. We met the residents and have set up the radio in a fellowship hall where they meet. I will ask Dale Jones to speak next. After that, Jen wants to talk to her parents if they're on the air and George and Lois want to talk to Lavaca. With that, I turn the mike over to Dale Jones. Over."

"Go ahead, Dale. This is Shirley Matthews, Mike's mom, with his dad and my husband, Jack by my side. Jack is our leader."

Good evening, Shirley. This is Dale Jones. Most of our community is here. Our entire council is. We lived in El Paso but have moved south across the river into Juarez, Mexico. We have been having marauders come in from north of us. It's hard to farm when you're under constant attack. Apparently, you have been able to spread out and don't have attackers. Go ahead, Shirley."

"Good evening, Dale. This is Jack Matthews. I am the Director of Preservation. On behalf of our community, we welcome you and thank you for your hospitality to our son and his party. We have fought off a number of attacks successfully in the past."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.