Protection and Preservation, Book 07
Chapter 5: Janice - El Paso, TX

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

It was a masterful trap. Robby was driving with Bennie, Pam, and I up front and not a one of us saw it coming. Suddenly, the road was blocked front and back. People with guns were on both sides. A voice came powered by a big public address system. "You folks in the bus. You can surrender. That means you come out the door at the front slowly and without any weapons. The other option is to die. We dislike killing women and children but it's your choice."

We surrendered. If you are imprisoned, you can try to escape. If you're dead, you're dead. Robby shut off the engine and opened the door. "Leave all weapons in the bus. Later, we'll see how good they are." He dropped his pistol and knife on the floor at the driver's seat and walked out the door with his hands held high. Gradually, one after another, we all left the bus and stood outside holding children but keeping our hands out where they could be seen.

As was their habit, the children dispersed among their parents. Charlie was between Bennie and me with Amos to my other side. Robby and Pam had Bobbi and SJ. Doris and Elaine were with Melissa and are standing to Bennie's other side. Mike and Jen and George and Lois are standing together. We stood and waited.

After five minutes, Melissa had Bennie help her sit down. After that, we all sat down with the children in our laps. It was a few minutes more that three men bearing rifles came out. One of them looked us over and said, "You aren't plainsmen. Driving that bus almost gave us a heart attack. Who in the world are you folks?"

Robby stood up slowly with Bobbi holding his hand. She was close like she was scared. He said, "My name is Robby Cook-Thomas-Sullivan. We are an exploring party from the east. We flew in to the airport this morning. After refueling, we got this bus running and were going to check out El Paso."

Another of the men said, "You flew in from the east? What do you fly? Where in the east? That's a pretty large place."

Robby said, "We flew in an airplane. We spent last night in Dallas. We are from the communities of Preservation and Protection, two allied communities located in Georgia and Tennessee. We are exploring on their behalf looking for surviving groups who might be friendly.

"Who are these Plainsmen and who are you folks?"

The first man shifted his rifle. He held out his right hand to shake and said, "I'm Dale Jones. This is El Paso. Let's get inside where it's cool and talk."

Robby said, "Okay, Dale. We'll follow you." The men got up and helped wives to stand. I had decided to do my helpless act while we found out more about these folks. Bennie helped Melissa while Charlie and Amos helped me up. We followed Dale into and through a building. We walked down a street half a block and entered another. It was cool inside. I saw lights and noted that they had power.

We entered a large lunchroom area and were offered seats. Dale said, "As I said, I'm Dale Jones. These two guys are two of my council, Jack Ross and Tim Russell. The other two are Mindy Harold and Jim Rale.

"We have a thriving community here. We have had to fight off marauders from our north who call themselves, Plainsmen."

Two people entered the room: One was a spectacularly beautiful woman and a tall, thin man. Dale said, "Ah! Here they are, Mindy and Jim. We are entertaining some new guests."

He looked at Robby and said, "Our community's representatives are all here. Please introduce all of your party and tell us about yourselves."

Robby said, "Okay, Dale. Again, I'm Robby Cook-Thomas-Sullivan. My spouses are Pam, Bennie, Melissa, and Janice." He pointed each of us out. "Our children are Bobbi, SJ, Charlie, Amos, Doris, and Elaine."

Dale looked surprised. He said, "We have some plural marriages though none as large as yours. Please go on."

Robby shrugged and continued. "Also with us are Mike and Jen Matthews and George and Lois Anderson.

"With the exception of George and Lois, we are all from Preservation and Protection. Preservation is based in west central Georgia. Over the years, Preservation has spread into South Carolina and Alabama. To the south it extends into the old border with Florida. We have just started to move north of I-20. We are primarily farmers with some light manufacturing. Mike's dad is the elected director.

"Protection is in central Tennessee. It's not as big but is growing. My friend, Doctor George Andrews, is its leader.

"Both communities have electric power and we fly. We are exploring the west on their behalf trying to find other communities who are interested in being friends. George and Lois are from Port Lavaca, Texas. There is a good growing community there. George's dad is their elected leader. We are also allied with a community in Pintlala, Alabama. That was the starting point for our trip."

Mindy spoke. She had a low, melodious voice that matched her looks. "Did you make the trip in one shot or take steps to arrive here?"

Robby said, "We left Pintlala in central Alabama. From there, we went to Jackson, Mississippi, and then Dallas. We left Love Field there this morning."

That got some more attention. Jim said, with barely disguised distaste, "Did you meet Harry?"

Robby said, "Actually, Harry made a fatal error. He met Janice. He's dead and so are some of his helpers after they attacked us.

"We don't like predators. As a community principle, neither Preservation nor Protection tolerates that kind of person. It sounds like your Plainsmen are or may be similar."

Mindy looked over at me and said, "Harry would like you. What happened?"

I said, "I am pretty good at hand-to-hand combat. Harry wasn't. He lost when he came at me."

Jim said, "Well it's good riddance. I can't say I'm sorry to hear that he's gone."

Dale picked up the conversation saying, "Most of us live on the other side of the Rio Grande. It's safer. We maintain a presence here to prevent incursions. We use two cell towers that we have been able to maintain. How do your communities stay in contact?"

Robby said, "We use radios. Some of the founders of both communities were hams before the Day. We can set up and talk to our friends everywhere. All we need is twelve volt dc power or a standard ac plug."

Dale said, "Could you set up at our main meeting place?"

"Sure, we would have to go back to the planes for a radio, power supply, and antenna."

"Mindy, would you escort Robby and any help he needs to their planes. Take a few guys for cover."

"Okay, Dale. Robby, do you need help?"

"Actually, no. It's quicker with a little help. Lovie, would you come with me?" Pam nodded and rose.

Bobbi said, "Mom, I want to go."

Pam looked at Robby who nodded. She said, "Sure, dear."

They left. Robby later told me that they followed Mindy out. She picked up four guys and everyone went out to two SUV's. Robby, Pam, and Bobbi got in with Mindy and one man. They drove out to the airport followed by the other SUV with the other men in it. All of them were armed. They reached the planes without incident and Robby unlocked King, extracted the radio and other equipment to set up a rig. He locked everything back and they left to return to El Paso. The trip was without incident. Pam asked Mindy about the escort and how bad the problems were with the Plainsmen. She said that they are primarily raiders. Couples fare badly with them. The men are killed and the women taken captive. She told Pam that their raids have dropped off over the last six months. She said her first husband was killed providing time for her and her daughter to escape. She had remarried but Pam thought she still pined for her first husband, too.

When they all returned with Bobbi proudly carrying the antenna. It wasn't heavy only being made of simple wire. Robby had the radio and power supply while Pam carried the coaxial cable and a small tool bag. Charlie went over and took the power supply from Robby. Amos took the coax from Pam leaving her with the tool bag, which she handed to Bennie.

Before they were seated, Dale said, "If there is no objection, let's head across the river. Robby, I will go with you in your bus, if that's okay. Robby nodded and we all left the same way and came to our bus, which had not been moved. The roadblock had. Robby got in and cranked it turning the air on high and drove off following Dale's directions.

The trip took about twenty minutes and we pulled in front of a church's fellowship hall. Dale rose and said, "We have lodging for you. We have a town hall meeting set for tomorrow night and this is where we meet. Many of us come here to share supper every night. We'll put you up in rooms across the street." He pointed at a nice motel there.

"We'll have supper here in about two hours. You can meet some more of the members of the community. I'll stop by a couple of houses to make sure the families will bring extra food tonight. There will be more people than usual since many will know we have guests. We will hold off on you telling your story until tomorrow night when everyone will be present."

With that, Dale left us with Jim who showed us our rooms. He gave us five rooms. We got three that would inter-connect with one for Mike and Jen and another for George and Lois. We agreed to wash up and meet in our central room later.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.