The Redhead
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2014 by Ragnaar

This point in the story marks approximately half way. If you have been enjoying the Story please take a moment to Vote and send me a note. I enjoy hearing from you all.

We have time to talk...

Grace told the Johnsons (the butler and maid) that they could go home and not to come in tomorrow, We would take care of ourselves. After she saw them gone. She led me to the bedroom, which it turns out was what today would be called a Master Suite. It was almost completely self contained. The only thing it lacked was a place to cook.

We each showered in separate showers. There was a mans bathroom and another for Grace.

The mans came fully equipped. Razor, tooth brushes (new) and long white terry robe. Funny thing was that the robe fit me. I am not an easy one to fit.

I went in and sat on the bed on my robe and waited for Grace. She came in wearing a long white transparent silk nightgown. She was lovely. I stood up, embraced her and told her how beautiful she looked. We lightly kissed and I bent down and scooped her up into my arms and turned and lightly deposited her on the bed. I shed my robe and climbed in beside her.

I reached out and she came into my arms and we snuggled down under the goose down comforter.

We lay there, just holding each other and lightly kissing. Both of us were tired, it had been a long day and for me it had been a long week with all to little sleep, and much anxiety and excitement.

We continued to kiss and stroke each other gently and very slowly we became excited and I moved over her and slid down into her wonderful warm honey wetness.

It only took a short time for us both to climax and the next thing I knew it was morning. I have always been an early riser probably because I lived for three years on a dairy farm My uncle use to tell me that he didn't care what time I came in at night. "The Cows get up at 04:00 and you had better be there."

Grace was still asleep, so I decided to explore. I learned later on that the house was at the far west side of the Island and clear down as far as you could go to the south. It's dock and shore frontage looked west. As I walked down to the dock, I could see no evidence of neighbors or any other structures close by. It felt like we were all alone in the world. I sat on the edge of the dock and thought about all the things that I had experienced over the past few days. If I didn't know better, I would say that I was suffering from an acute case of sensory overload. There was so much to think about, so much to process, I unconsciously took the cowards way out. I decided not to think about it and to just go along for the ride. So far the ride had been darn good.

While I sat, there were flights of Great Brown Pelicans flying along looking for breakfast. The way they fly is so cool. There are few wing beats and they line up behind each other off to one side, and it looks almost like a staircase. When they see something, the fold their wings and down they go. I watched them feed for a while, when I felt someone walk on to the dock. I looked around it was Grace coming down toward me. She came up behind me and sat down wrapped her arms and legs around me from behind and leaned into me and whispered in my ear. "I woke up and you were gone, and I realized with surprise that I really missed you not being there. I missed my morning wake up kiss."

"That my love is easily resolved". I said. I swivelled around slipped my arm around behind her shoulders and the other under her knees and picked her up and swung her around and sat her in my lap like you would hold a baby and proceeded to giver her several wake up kisses.

"Is this all we are going to do today?" I asked as I tickled her in the ribs. "Yes, I think that would be nice." She replied.

"Well, if that is the case, I will starve to death. I think I will just drop you off the edge of this dock and feed the small sharks that cruise around while I go into town to get some breakfast." With that I held her out at arms length over the water and made as if to toss her. She was squealing and laughing all at the same time.

"If you do this, I won't talk to you again!" She shrieked. "Hmmmm, I am thinking, I am thinking." I replied. With that I pulled her in and hugged her hard and set her on her feet and we walked up the path toward the house.

As she walked beside me, she held my arm and my hand. "Would you have really dropped me?" She asked.

I stopped, turned and took her face in my hands and told her. " I will never do anything to ever make you feel anything different than what I feel for you." I told her.

"Grace, I love you, I have been trying to tell myself that it can't be. The moment I realized that it was you in the store, my heart started hammering in my chest like it would burst. I knew deep down that it was real love, not the school boy infatuation that I had for you back in Colorado. Deep down man to a woman love." I told her and then stood there looking in to her very beautiful blue eyes.

She stood there, she started to sniff and all of a sudden tears started running down her face. Then she was sobbing as though her heart would break. I stepped into her and pulled her even closer it that was possible. I just stood there and held her She sobbed for a short while. She extricated herself from my arms and took my hand and led me toward the house. She didn't say a word. Once in the house. She led me to the couch and had me sit down and then she curled herself into my lap and put her head on my shoulder and we sat like that for what seemed a long time.

After awhile, she pulled back so we could look at each other. She started to talk.

"There are things about me that you need to know." She said. I started to speak, I wanted tell her it wasn't necessary. She held up her hand and I stopped.

"Please, I need to do this, I need for you to know it all."

I didn't reply, I just sat there and waited.

She started to tell me a story that was unbelievable to say the least.

"When, I got back to Florida and home. My Dad welcomed me and my Mom and I had to work through some things, some hurts from the past, but over time we managed to find our way through them and her sickness didn't leave much time for holding grudges."

"I started working at the store and Dad stayed home more and more as he came to rely on me. He hired a full time private nurse to take care of Mom. One day about 6 months after I got home the guy I had been living with from Colorado showed up. We had lived together almost 4 years. He knew where I was from, I had never thought I had any reason to hide it. He showed up and started screaming at me in the store and demanding money, he was drunk as usual. Luckily my Dad was there and got him out of there, my Dad called some men, and they took him away. He showed up again the next day and demanded that I come outside and talk with him. I went out, I thought it would keep things from getting worse in the store. He wanted me to sit in the car with him and talk. I wouldn't do it. He started screaming at me again and I ran back inside. The assistant manager called the police and they came and took him away. He had told me that if I didn't get him a lot of money, he was going to tell my Dad that I had worked as a hooker in Colorado. He must have been very desperate for money."

"I went home and told my Dad what had happened and told him the truth about what had happened in Colorado. It seems that he already knew the truth. The Safeway Store manager and him had become friends over the telephone. I guess my Dad would call and check up on me from time to time. I never knew about that, my Dad had asked the store manager John, to keep it just between them."

"My Dad told me to not worry about it any more. He would take care of it. I went back to work the next day and I didn't see or hear from him until about a month later, when he showed up again and started a row in the store. The police were called again and they took him away once more. That was the last I ever saw him. A couple of months later a woman showed up at the store, demanding to know where he was at. She said that she was his sister and the last time anyone had heard from him was the day before that last time he came to the store demanding money. She accused Dad and me of doing something to him. She tried to threaten us with going to the police and telling them that we had done something to him. She finally left after Dad called the police. She must have gone to the police and told them something. A few weeks later the police came around asking questions. That was right about the time that Mom was getting very sick and she only lived a few more days after that."

"I don't think the police gave the woman's story much credence. Dad had always been a good friend of the Police Chief and a friend of the department and officers. He was always ready with a donation or help any time they needed it for uniforms, cars, whatever they needed. Consequently they paid a lot of attention to the store. They still do today."

"I never knew what happened to the guy. Nothing was ever heard from him again."

"Gary, that is why I acted like I did this morning when you told me that you loved me. You see, I knew back in Colorado that you were in love with me. I especially knew it when you stood up for me and protected me."

"You see, only my Dad had ever shown that much love and kindness to me. All I ever knew from my Mom was hurt and put down."

"I knew when you said that you would never hurt me or give me any reason to doubt you. I knew you were telling the truth. It was overwhelming to me".

"I knew when you came back to the store, you were there for me. You wanted me and I wanted you. I want you now and forever."

"I love you Gary, I don't know were we go from here, but I do know that where ever it is I don't ever want it to be with out you by my side."

"I Love you."

"I love you, Grace. Now can we get something to eat? I am starving and you are sitting on me."

Where do we go from here?

Finally, we both knew where we stood. There was peace. To recognize the peace and comfort of knowing you are loved and cherished, is such a calming feeling.

As we fixed breakfast, we didn't talk much. I think we were both just content to be near each other and know that we would be together like this from now on. The small details, like how we would integrate into each others lives were still to be worked out.

I am sure that the intertwining of two lives, both of which had been so badly bumped and bruised by life would not be a simple thing. We of course felt no hesitation about going ahead. We had a boundless optimism that all would work out in time.

We had to trust in each other. I knew that I would never knowingly hurt her. That I would always be there for her.

I learn the answers to many unasked questions...

"Come on lets go see what we can find to feed you. I have a suspicion that you are going to need to keep up your strength." She said.

We went into the kitchen to raid the ice box and see what was on hand. I should have known that everything would be fully stocked. Being an Iowa farm boy, I started making us a couple of omelets.

While I cooked, Grace went into her Grandfather's office and called the store to check in and find out how things were doing.

In a few minutes I yelled. "Soup's up." We sat down at the kitchen table and Grace started to tell me her plan for the rest of the day.

"I think it would be good for you to see and learn about me and everything that my Dad and Grandfather have done over the last 50 years here in south Florida. After we get done eating we'll go for a ride." She said.

We finished breakfast and I headed out the front door to go to my car. Grace stopped me and said "I'll drive, it will be easier, I know where I want to go and you can just sit back and go along for the ride."

"What do you have to drive here? I asked.

"Come on I'll show you." She said. We went out a side door of the kitchen that led to another wing of the house that I had noticed from outside, but had not investigated. It went to a huge garage. It was four stalls and all were full of cars.

She led me to a red and white convertible. She opened the garage door and told me to get in. After we got outside, I could see the car better. I knew what it was.

"What year is it?" I asked.

"It's a 1957 Ford Skyliner Hideaway hard top convertible. My Grandfather ordered it as soon as he saw it on an episode of "I love Lucy" on the TV. He called the Ford Dealer who he was friends with and asked when it would be out. The guy told him and my Grandfather told him he wanted the first one delivered." She told me.

It was a really pretty car. It was red and white. I had a friend back in Iowa who worked at a Hinky Dinky Grocery Store with me in 1965, in Sioux City. He had one, it was a gift from his father who had passed away. I only rode in his a couple of times. At that time I was in the last 5 months of my Senior year.

We pulled out and she started to tell me where we were going.

"I am going to show you some of my Grandfather's properties."

The day was beautiful. The sun was bright and the temperature was mild. She put the top down on the car and we were off. She started to tell me about the history of her grandfather, how he had prospered in south Florida. He had come to Florida in his early 20's he was of English, Irish and Scottish extraction. He was the only member of his family who made the trip. Now all of his relatives back where he came from were gone.

He started working for a small general store and learned the business from the ground up. He was uncommonly driven to succeed. A short while after starting to work. He thought he could increase sales if he would take a bicycle and cart and go out and sell and deliver goods door to door. It turned out to be a great plan. It exceeded his and the owner of the stores most exaggerated hopes. The owner of the General store recognized the genius of the young man and rather than stand in his way, decided to help him. He advanced him a small sum to set up and helped him get connected with the suppliers.

The owner of the General Store was Jake Rice, he became my Grandfathers mentor and helped him in any way he could. My Grandfather and Jake remained close friends and business partners in many ventures in later years. When Jake passed away, he left most of his holdings to my Grandfather and what they had together also became part of the complete business package.

My father was raised in the business and he worked in the Grocery end of it working at one store or another all the way through school and college. When my Dad was done with school, my Grandfather turned the grocery side of the business over to my Dad. He had 3 stores to start with. He expanded and eventually had 12 by the time I was born. Over time, he sold off some of the stores and got involved with my Grandfather and Jake in some of their investments.

We drove off Marco Island and she turned north toward Naples and we went past a strip mall, she stopped and looked at it as well as some of the other buildings around the area close to the mall. This area had belonged to her Grandfather and he and Jake had developed it into the Mall and built other storefront buildings and all of it was still in the family holdings and was producing rents every month.

We drove further North and it was more of the same. In some cases it was a theater here or a restaurant there. We kept this up for the rest of the morning. Around noon, she stopped at a really nice restaurant and we got out to have lunch.

She was welcomed at the door, she was obviously well known by the help there.

"Let me guess. Your corporation owns this one too, right?" I asked.

"Yes, it is one of a chain that the Corporation owns."

"Is there much more to see?" I asked.

"Yes, there is, it will take the rest of the afternoon to see it all. Why? Are you OK? She asked me.

To be honest, I didn't know how to answer. Riding along listening to her and seeing all the evidence of extreme wealth. I kind of felt myself sinking lower and lower. First I thought that she was just a Grocery Store checker. Then I found out that she owned the store. Then I find out that her Dad and Grandfather were movers and shakers around the south Florida area over the past 50 years, It was a little too much to absorb so fast.

Finally, I had to ask the question that had been lurking in the back of my mind ever since we left her Grandfather's place.

"Grace, who owns all of this now?"

She looked at me knowing that something was wrong. "Gary, what is wrong? You seem distant. Do you feel OK?"

"I feel fine, just a little shell shocked. How do you fit in to all of this?"

"I own 85% of the shares, the rest is owned by some of the old guys who were my Dad's and Grandfathers friends. On their deaths, the shares return to the corporation and their value is paid to the share holders estate. Eventually, I will own 100% of the Corporation.

I am the President and CEO and the rest of the share holders are on the board in different positions and help me administer everything."

"When we get done eating, can we go back to the place on the island?" I asked.

I really wasn't expecting this...

When we got back. I told Grace that I had to get back to Al and Bernie's because they had a big trip scheduled for tomorrow and I wanted to go along. She was just a little bit taken aback by my abrupt departure.

"Gary, did I do something to make you want to leave?"

"No, I just need to get back on schedule for the rest of my week before school starts next Monday."

With that I left, telling her that I would call and we would make plans for the weekend before I went back to school.

I wanted to put some distance between us. I knew that while I was with her, I would not be able to think and process what I was feeling. What was I feeling? Hell!!! I didn't even know myself. I just knew that with the evidence of all this wealth, my whole perspective had taken and abrupt 180 degree turn and come to a screeching halt.

I need time to figure out just who I was in relation to Grace and all her changed circumstances. I had gone into this with a whole different perspective than what I had now. What I had now, I was not to thrilled about.

I am sure that some of you are shaking your head and asking yourself. "What is wrong with this moron? He's got it made in the shade. What I wouldn't do to be in that situation myself."

Honestly those were some of the thoughts and feelings that I was going to have to deal with. The long and the short of it to me was, I just couldn't see myself surrounded by all that wealth that I had nothing to do with. I would feel like a trespasser. I felt like I had no right to go forward and sell myself for the all mighty dollar.

I thought I was made of better stuff than that. I had a plan, I wanted to work in Marine Biology and be involved with ocean research. I wanted to be hands on. I wanted to travel and see the rest of the world's oceans and I wanted to grow and succeed on my own merits. My Grandpa had taught me that a man stands on his own two feet and takes care of those he loves and cares about. That is the way I had been brought up and I couldn't just say to hell with it all, and make a complete change in who I am without a good deal of thought and reflection.

So, I headed over to Al and Bernie's place and we made plans for the next days fishing and spearing trip.

I thought that the next couple of days of labor and doing something that I really wanted to do would give me some time away and time to get my head back on straight.

When I got to the guys' place, they told me that Grace had called for me and asked me to call her when I got there.

I told them I would do it later. They asked me if all was well with me and Grace and I said sure in a kind of quiet voice. They gave me a strange look and left it alone.

We started to make plans and I started making supply runs to get everything that we needed, that they hadn't had time to get done. With me being the gofer guy. They could concentrate on getting the boat packed and ready for tomorrow.

I made 3 runs that late afternoon and into the evening until we had all that was on the list.

When everything was ready, we had a short supper and sat around and swapped lies for the next hour or so and then all of us headed for the racks. We were leaving at 04:00. I wish I could say that I slept the sleep of the just, but truth be told, I hardly slept at all. All night long, I was in a kind of half sleep state where you hang just between sleep and wakefulness. Not really knowing if you are sleeping or just thinking you are. I know I just kept running all I had experienced in the past days through my head over and over again. When revile was sounded. - broom handle in steel garbage can again - I was laying there awake waiting for it.

We all got up with a groan, grabbed coffee and headed for the boat. It wasn't very long and we were out of the breakwater and on the open sea headed south back to the Strait, down toward Cuba.

The plan for today was to free dive as much as possible get as many lobsters as possible and what ever kind of good eating fish should present itself to the spear gun. We ran for about 3 hours and finally reached the area where they wanted to start. Al towed Bernie again until he found some likely formations on the bottom to dive down to.

I helped drop anchor. The air was cool and the water was about 80 degrees. That sounds warm, but to free dive in it all day, you can loose a lot of body heat quickly. We all donned wet suits, very primitive compared to what is available now. At least they would protect us from the coral and hypothermia. It was decided that I would go with them on this first dive as it was pretty shallow and I could gradually get use to diving again. The last time I had snorkeled was back in Vieques. PR. I had managed after a few days to get down to about 30 feet and stay down long enough to get a conch or a lobster most times.

Over the side we went. If this site was their idea of a beginners dive site they had much higher expectations of me, than I did. Believe me, two years at Junior College in Iowa does not prepare you for free diving. I had put on a few extra pounds and had drank way too much beer. I body fat level was way more now than back in the Marines diving in the Caribbean before. Al and Bernie on the other hand were almost completely devoid of body fat and they went down like rocks. I hung on the top and watched and then decided to give it a try. I had on a weight belt and my old fins from before. I had my spear gun and thought, "What the heck, here goes!" I bent at the waist and pointed my fins toward the sky and started down with strong arm movements pulling me down, when my fins entered the water, I started kicking strongly. I got down probably 20 feet when I realized I had forgotten to start equalizing the pressure in my ears. It was hurting and I slowed and tried to deal with it. I lost momentum and that was about the end of my first dive. I drifted there watching Bernie and Al and realized that I was low on air and started back up to the surface. This first site turned out to be about 45 feet to the bottom and for them it was just another day at the office. It was pretty clear that I was going have to work up to this slowly. They came up right behind me and they each had a nice Hog fish. I told them that it was to deep for me on this first time. I told them I would just stay on top and watch for time being. It turned out to be a very productive spot and they brought fish or lobsters up on every dive. I would swim over and take them from them and put them on the boat, while they continued to dive. We spent about 30 minutes there and then they came up and we got on the boat to take a break and move the boat.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.