Protection and Preservation, Book 06
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Janice writes from Mexico]

"I saw three people a block and a half down from me quietly walking. I was so lonely that I took a chance and said, "Hello." My voice was loud enough for them to hear me. They turned and I held my hands out a little to demonstrate that I wasn't actively carrying a weapon. We began to walk toward each other until we were about fifteen feet apart. The group was three people about my age or younger; a man and two women.

"I said, 'My name is Arnold Ralston. I would like to be friends. I have been alone since the disease ran its course.'

"They stared at me for a long, silent minute. The man had a rifle but it wasn't actively pointed at me though I could tell it would only take an instant for that situation to change. The older of the two women said, 'I am Maria Flores. This is my brother, Tomas, and our friend, Dulcenia. We would be willing to talk to you. Are you staying close to here?'

"'I left the house where I was staying the last four or five days this morning. I was headed for the airport but stay out from the city to avoid the gangs.'

"'We have watched one of their fights. We try to avoid them, too. Come with us. We have a safe place.' I nodded and we walked to the end of the block and turned off the road. A hundred feet down was a small entrance into a walled residential area. I later learned that it was the family compound of the Flores family. Maria unlocked the heavy door and we went inside. Except for no people but the four of us, it looked like times before the Day. My nurse friend's family was well to do and lived in a similar, though smaller, place.

"Maria said, 'Please be seated. Tomas, would you and Dulcenia please fetch us refreshments.' I sat down at a table outside where she had pointed. She continued, 'Tell me your story, Arnold.'

"I was glad for this peaceful spot. I told her who I was, why I was in San Salvador, what had happened to me since the Day, and where I planned to go.'

"She said, 'That's quite a lot.' Her brother and his friend had returned with fresh fruit juice. It tasted wonderful.

"I said, 'It's not how I had planned my life but I have just had to deal with it as best as I could. I haven't heard from my family since the Day. Based upon the damage reports and news, I have no hope for their survival. I had simply decided to head for L.A. as much for a goal as for any other reason.'

"Quietly, Tomas said, 'Goals are good things.'

"'Yes, they keep you going when nothing else will. I know mine has. I met two sisters weeks ago. They stole my shotgun and left. I found one later dead with a man in front of her dead of a shotgun blast. The other sister and the shotgun were gone. I just don't understand the violence.'

"Maria spoke up. 'Our father said that he was concerned that, with the police incapacitated, there would be no one to stop bad people.'

"I said, 'What happened to your parents?'

"Both Tomas and Maria looked troubled. After a moment, she said, 'Papa was the Mayor. He was killed by looters on his way home about a week after the Day. Our mother died in a traffic accident when Tomas was still a baby.

"'We stayed here. Dulce lived next door and she and Tomas had been dating. She was very sick and the rest of her family died. All our help died. Nothing I did mattered. Once they caught the virus, all we could do was make them comfortable. The only one I have ever seen recover was Dulce.'

"I said, 'Dulce is a cute name.' She smiled shyly. 'How long have you been called that?'

"She answered haltingly, 'All my life, even as a baby, that has been my short name.'

"I looked around. 'Now, we're here. Do you have any plans for the future?'

"Maria answered, 'Sooner or later, a gang will find this location. We can't hold off a big gang with just three or even four. Also, I think the power will end at some point. Before then, we must have a plan and should be about it.

"'This property is nice and has been home to the Flores family for generations. It needs people to keep it going and must have electricity for the water pumps or it becomes dry. We know will have to leave but we haven't decided where to go yet or when.'

"I said, 'I would be glad for you to go with me. If you come up with a place, I would like to go with you.

"'Maria, I agree. This place is wonderful but you couldn't fight off a gang from here. I hadn't thought about the water pumps but that includes most of the city, too.'"

I said, "I've talked most of the evening. I need a rest. Does someone else want to pick this up or will we wait until tomorrow for the next installment."

Poppa Jack said, "Let's wait and we'll be more careful to take turns reading."

With that, we all said our good nights and went to our beds.

We were in Acapulco so, of course, we had to go to the beach. My two husbands along with a few others arranged transportation. We locked the planes and left for the beach. There were "tiki huts' that we cleaned up for some shade and we all worked on our tans and enjoyed the Pacific. It was a beautiful day and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. Charlie and his sister, Bobbi, really came to enjoy the water keeping Pam and I busy while Melissa watched over the rest of our brood. We returned to our planes tired and happy. We still saw no one nor any signs of anyone.

During supper, Poppa Jack said, "I would really like to stay one more day." Everyone heartily seconded that wish and so we stayed. Momma Shirley was the only casualty. She had worn the bottom to one of my suits and the top to one of hers. She had red lower cheeks. For an older woman, she had a great figure. I noticed Poppa watching her. A few of the other men did, too. Pam told me that the prizes went to me, her, Jen, and then Momma Shirley according to our two husbands. They told her it was a close decision.

After cleaning up from supper which Momma ate standing, we talked to our homes by radio. Then, it was time to hear some more of Arnold Ralston's story.

Poppa Jack started the evening's reading. Poppa Jack said, "Arnold picks up the narrative a few days after the meeting.

"We passed a few days getting to know each other. Dulce got over an initial infatuation with me going back to Tomas. Tomas was head over heels in love with her and was pleasant once Dulce's affections returned to him full force. I didn't know if they were sleeping together and made no inquiry. I decided that it was not my business and, of the two, Dulce and Maria, Maria was much the more desirable person to me. Even with Maria, I made no moves desiring to determine if we could be friends before even considering any step further. That analytical approach helped me in my marketing work but made me a bit cold in relationships. At least, that's what a girl in college told me. There were other reasons.

"Everyone worked together to keep the compound clean and livable preparing meals and washing clothes. A couple of days after Dulce lost interest in me, I noticed that Maria began wearing dresses more. She dressed in a classy manner. Sometimes, I felt like a poor relation because of my meager wardrobe and its casual nature. I was in no hurry and, after constant walking, it was nice to just laze around. I brought this manuscript pretty much up to date and thought more on what my long-term steps should be if I were ever going to get to L.A. My plans did not include anyone being with me though I hoped that wouldn't be true.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.