Protection and Preservation, Book 06 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 06

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 9

[Janice writes from Mexico]

"I left as soon as it was truly dark going through the backyard. It was slow going but, from reading this, you can tell I made it. After I had gone two blocks, the patrols lessened. I continued to move carefully and slowly trying to stay out of sight and leave no sign of my passing. It was unfortunate but I didn't trust guys in trucks after seeing them shoot the family across and down the street from my old location.

"I walked all night. After three or four hours, I was far enough away that the patrolling trucks didn't show up any more. I maintained my cautious approach and, by dawn, I had gone through a couple more neighborhoods moving steadily away from the center of town. I was looking for a place to stop and sleep. I found a house in a quiet spot and knocked on the front door saying, 'Is anybody home? I need a place to sleep.' There was no answer and I tried the door. It was locked. I went around back and that door also was locked. I found a window and worked it open to enter the house. It was and had been empty. I used my flashlight to quickly look around. No one had been in it for a long time.

"I picked out a bed and lay down after removing my socks and shoes and my outer clothes. I put my pistol under the pillow in the best secret agent manner and went to sleep.

"I woke up an hour later just after dawn to noises at the back door. I pulled my clothes back on and, with my pistol in hand, padded down the hall into the kitchen. I knelt at the doorway into the kitchen and waited. The slight noises continued until there was a click and the door started to open.

"My pistol was cocked with the safety off. I was holding the pistol on a door. I smiled to myself at the ludicrousness of that thought. I stayed ready as a person slowly entered the house.

"I could see the silhouette and realized the person entering my shelter for the night was female! She entered the kitchen slowly. Once in fully, she waved at the door and another person entered the kitchen. She, too, was female. The first one spoke quietly, 'Sue, keep quiet. We don't want to draw attention to where we are. Close the door and lock it.'

"Sue leaned back and closed the door. I heard the lock click. They started to move toward me.

"I decided it was time to make an appearance. I said, 'Ladies, freeze. I don't want to shoot so let's be quiet and talk this out.'

"They both stopped and, fortunately, didn't scream. The first one said, 'Who are you?'

"'My name is Arnold Ralston. Since you are the ones picking the lock on my door, who are you and what's your story?'

"The first one said, 'I am Barbara Nichols and she is my sister, Sue. We had been to Chili and were flying back to our home in San Francisco. We were trapped by the tsunami and virus while on a layover and sightseeing. We've been on the run from gangs of men for weeks.'

"Sue chimed in, 'Please don't hurt us.'

"I slowly released the hammer on my pistol and set the safety. I entered the room and sat down at the kitchen table. I waved them into chairs. They sat and I said, 'Why were you in Chili?'

"Barbara said, 'When I was in college, my roommate was from Chili. Sue got to know her and we were visiting her and her family.'

"I said, 'I was here on a long-term business project. I worked in L.A. but my family lived in Orlando. It's gone according to the news reports. I have decided to head back for L.A. I helped a while in a hospital here until no one was left. I've been avoiding the gangs, too. I plan to leave but walking seems safer than driving right now. I had liberated a truck but it was stolen by someone. The thief was shot by someone else while he drove my truck. With the gangs, driving seems to be a bad idea. I'm headed out to get away from the gangs and trying to not walk into any others. Later, I will get another vehicle.'

"Barbara said, 'Would you mind us joining with you. I think we will be safer as a group rather than separate.'

"I said, 'That would be good. I have been lonely with no one to talk to for a long while now. Actually, I have been walking at night and stopped here to rest for a day. I had planned to start out again tonight. Let's look over your stuff, make some decisions, and then get some rest.'

"They both nodded. They had a couple of handheld bags. Barbara looked to be in her early middle twenties and Sue looked to be a late teenager or in her early twenties. We raided the closets looking for backpacks. We found a couple of book bags that would serve for now but weren't a good solution for the long run. At least, they would have both hands free.

"We were getting ready to lie down when I said, 'Do either of you shoot?'

"Barbara said, 'Both of us are dove shooters. We know shotguns well.'

"I pulled my shotgun from under the bed. 'Do either of you know this one or feel you can use it?'

"Barbara took it and said, 'I have one like it at home. I used to target shoot with it.' She nodded.

"I said, 'It's yours then. Carry it carefully. Sue, we will find something for you later.' With that, we all lay down. The sisters took another bedroom and I went back to mine. I was tired and so were the sisters.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.