Protection and Preservation, Book 04
Chapter 45

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Protection – Janice]

We learned a lot from Tom and Vic. Tom was more the flier and Vic was more the mechanic though the difference was more one of degree than anything else. Vic was a very good flier and Tom a very good mechanic. Both of them were also very comfortable with the theory of aeronautics as well. As we worked with them, they explained what we were doing and why interspersed with aviation theory and knowledge.

Tom told me that we would pick a plane for our use and go over it with them watching. After it checked out, we would then learn to fly it including "dead stick' landings. He said that, once he and Vic were both satisfied with our ability, we would each solo and then fly some more. He said that we would practice problems until emergencies could be handled as routine and the plane rebuilt if we had to do it. He said that flying was fun but, in these times, you had to be able to do everything or you could have trouble from which you wouldn't recover.

We worked over the plane for an hour replacing two hoses that were suspicious. We returned to the church to find most of the community gathered to celebrate the Somerseters joining Protection and the visit of Bennie and me. The Somerseters were introduced and were asked if they would join Protection. When they said, "yes," George asked those gathered if they were welcomed and everyone shouted, "yes," amid much applause and cheering. Bennie and I were introduced as guests from Preservation to more applause and cheers. Robby stood and said, "I want everyone to know that there is now a new queen of the hill. Janice beat me fair and square in hand-to-hand this afternoon. If her husband, Bennie, weren't enough to discourage you," there were chuckles, "then, the fact that she can put you away would. I'm glad to have them both as friends. Protect and Preserve!"

There was some good-natured ribbing of Robby though not much. He had passed through the fire successfully and earned the respect of his community. Pam and Melissa came over to hug and kiss me and then pounced on Bennie giving him hugs and some serious kisses. "Lovie and Love, don't overwhelm the poor, decrepit man!" Robby laughed. We all sat down and had a great meal of fresh, farm-grown food.

As things wound down, George and his wives and Robby with his talked with Tom and Jenny and Vic and Amy as we all sat together. George asked, "When do you think you will make the trip?"

Tom said, "Tomorrow afternoon. I want to finish going over the plane and get an aviation radio working in the tower. It's VHF but line of sight travels a long way when one of the radios is five or six thousand feet in the air."

Vic said, "We talked about it in the buckboard. We actually want to make two trips. There are two planes there that we want as well as some tools and instruments that we want. We'll take Janice and Bennie on the first trip and then Robby and Pam on the second. On all four legs, we'll let our trainees get some stick time."

I squirmed in my seat and Bennie patted my leg. With that agreed and a place found for the sisters to stay, we all went to our beds. We would meet in the morning after breakfast.

We did just that. About an hour after reaching the airport, we were ready and Vic and Bennie got in the back with Tom in the pilot's seat and that left me in the copilot's seat. We buckled in and took off. We verified contact with George and Robby in the tower as we circled around. We headed easterly with Tom saying get comfortable and discussing with me the controls. He said that I shouldn't worry about looking around for landmarks. He said that he and Vic would navigate both ways so we could concentrate upon our flying and not diving into the ground!

Tom said, "Okay, Janice. Fly the plane. Just hold it nice and straight with your hands gently holding the wheel."

I remembered the instructions and watched the horizon and my instruments. It was easier than I had feared but did capture my attention. Twice, I had to force my hands to ease their grip on the wheel. We flew for half an hour and Tom said, "Start a slow circle to the right. I eased the wheel over a tiny bit and felt the plane tip and slow. Tom said, "Do you remember the discussion we had before leaving about stalls and the speed at which one can occur?" I looked down and advanced the throttle just a touch. I could hear Vic exhale from the back. Bennie chuckled softly.

I was about half way around when Tom said, "Now straighten and then begin a circle to the left." I felt Vic move around just a little. Tom looked out the side window searching for landmarks. He made a soft noise in his throat and said, "Very good. "Come around to the right and resume our original course. We have another ten minutes to go."

At about ten minutes, I could see what appeared to be the airport in the distance. Tom said, "We'll approach high and look. If all seems okay, we'll then perform a fly-over. If that's okay, we'll land.

"Janice, we approach with the airport on the left and fly by it making a big circle. Then, we'll pull in tighter for another circle. You have the wheel as long as you're comfortable."

I replied, "Yes, sir." I could even tell my voice was excited and I was, too. I performed the first circle easily and no one saw anything unexpected.

Tom said, "We'll fly lower and slower. Janice let me work the controls. Feel what I'm doing with your feet and hands. Listen to the engine as I get it close to stalling. I'm going to slip around to hold the plane more level. I'll teach you later. It's easy." He did and I could feel the foot pedals and wheel working and watched the plane slip sideways to make a circle while holding almost completely level. He brought the air speed down and I noticed one hand on the throttle gently working it. We settled closer to the ground and made two circles. He then gave the engines more gas and moved away. He said, "I'm going to line up for a touch and go but won't touch though it will look that way. It's an easy way to flush out any surprises and to check an unfamiliar runway." We flew down the runway with it on my side. He said, "Watch the ground for any problems." I nodded and croaked a "yes" out of my voice. All was clear and we circled again and landed without incident. Tom pulled up in front of the hanger they had used and stopped the engines. We listened to the silence and ticking sound of the engines cooling. After a long moment, Tom opened the door and we all started to get out and stretch while continuing to look around. It's okay to see nothing when that's what you should see. The airport looked just like it did when we left it with only the addition of a slight patina of dust from non-use.

Readying the other plane for the flight back took an hour. We went exploring and made sure all doors were shut. There was no sense in letting things come to harm through our carelessness or inattention. Besides, we might be here again.

We loaded some tools and instruments in the planes for the trip back. Vic and Bennie would fly the Somerseter plane and Tom and I would remain in the one we brought over. The trip back was without incident other than Bennie and I flew much of the route. We talked over the radio to each other as we flew and agreed that we wanted to fly more in the future.

We landed at Jackson where Tom and Vic's wives waited along with George and Robby and their wives. It was festive. With the wives there, we would ride into church on the buckboards. It was Friday and we would all be part of the council meeting to report.

Supper was a great meal with many people there. Robby said that some were here only to hear and see new people. Melissa called him a cynic and Pam agreed. We enjoyed the time to meet people and get to know them.

Bennie and I cornered Tom and Vic as things were coming to a close. Bennie said, "Tom, Vic, you have talked about a smaller, slower plane for Janice and I to use for exploring. We've had a different thought. What about a bigger plane to allow group visits from Preservation to Protection and vice versa?"

Tom thought for a minute and said, "We could do that. The limits are fuel and good planes. I am sure we can find a good prop plane that would hold fifteen or twenty. Neither of us is checked out on maintaining jets but both of us are multi-engine certified. We'll look tomorrow when we go back."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.