Protection and Preservation, Book 04
Chapter 32

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Preservation – Janice]

When we stepped out and came into view, all action stopped. We were at the edge of a herd of deer. My suspicion was that we had found our marauders. We also found much more. It was a little valley with steep sides and a small pond on the low end. The upper end was boxed with a creek coming down it. It was a pretty picture. In that picture, there were two species other than the deer. There were a number of rabbits and, to my shock and surprise, two couples with infants. The four young people were all naked and quite young. I don't think any of them were as old as Laura. They were short!

Bennie whispered into the radio, "Everybody take it easy. Mitch, stay out of sight and quiet. So far, everything is okay. We are not threatened. Janice, let's move forward toward the two couples. I would like to talk with them."

We slowly walked down to the creek where the two couples were sitting. They were wearing no clothes and, from their tans, it appeared that they never had. They looked up as we approached.

I said, "Hi. My name is Janice." They looked at me without comprehension. I now began to be concerned. Why didn't they understand us?

The older man-child made noises like a mixture of talk and animal noises. I thought I caught a word but it saw nonsensical like hearing a foreign language that had some similar sounds to English.

I pointed at my chest and said, "Janice, Janice."

Bennie pointed at his chest and said, "Bennie, Bennie."

I then pointed at him and said, "You?"

He slowly pointed to his chest and said, "Can."

I repeated back and pointed at him saying, "Can." Then, I pointed at my chest and said, "Janice."

He slowly said, "Jan-ice," pointing at me. He said it like my name was two words.

Bennie said, "Can," pointing at him. Then he said, "Ben," pointing at his chest.

Can nodded and said, "Ben," pointing at Bennie. Bennie and I smiled. Can simply looked at us. His expression didn't change. This situation was getting stranger by the minute. Here were people who were very young on the Day who didn't speak English or any other language that we had ever heard. In looking around, I saw no tools or weapons anywhere. These people weren't Stone Age; they were animal!

I heard Mitch over the radio saying, "What's going on?"

I whispered, "Stand by, everyone. We're okay and trying to figure out what's going on." I could see Can looking at me as he could hear me whisper. I keyed the mike, but said out loud in a friendly manner, "I think we need to go back and talk this over. There were a lot of things I could expect but this was not one of them."

Bennie nodded and we started to back toward the entrance slowly. There were no moves to intercept us or prevent us from leaving. We reached the opening and went inside retracing our steps to the swinging door.

Laura and Kevin were waiting for us there. Bennie said, "We are going to bar this door. That will stop or slow the deer going after Mitch's fields. We'll figure out more later. I want to talk to Jack." I nodded. We built a simple barricade that would keep the door closed. We would figure out what else to do later. We rounded everyone up and met back at the house. It was early afternoon and no one had eaten. We had a light lunch. After lunch, Bennie gave instructions.

"This is an issue that needs some input from others. I want to call Jack and find out what he suggests. It's much more complicated than just animals. There are people involved even though their situation is far different from anything I would have imagined.

"Here's what I want to do right now. We'll set up two teams of four with radios. Team One will go to the ridge where Mitch was this morning and watch the valley. Team Two will watch the door. I don't want anyone to do anything but watch. No overt moves, sounds, or anything else. It would be best if there were no signs that these wild ones are being watched. We need to look at capabilities and activities. We have a family unit or two. Janice, both the two older girls are pregnant if I saw correctly." I nodded as he looked my way. "Also, I think the two babies are their children. Can and the other teen boy have developed some type of living relationship with the deer and the rabbits. I have a feeling that the group is too large to live off the valley and that accounts for depredations into Mitch's fields. I think if we looked around, that other fields closer have been hit but Mitch's cultivated fields are better and that's why they are targeted. One question I have is, 'Do the humans eat animal meat?' It would be interesting to know. We've seen that situation before with the stag but I don't think mind control is taking place here. Let's observe for a day or two while everyone here and at home thinks this over."

We threw up a dipole antenna to be able to use HF that evening though we could make contact on two meters through the repeater system. That evening, we talked with Poppa on an alternate HF frequency. It wasn't private but someone would have to hunt a bit to find us. While all homes had two meter capabilities, there were probably only a hundred who had HF rigs and even fewer than that who used them well. We weren't private but were as close as we could get.

Bennie explained everything to Poppa and Jim. I knew Momma would be listening, too. When he finished, he said, "Jack, I'm not sure what, if anything, we should do. I hate to leave people living in that condition but changing it will require an enormous amount of effort, which may not be appreciated or even work. It's four early teenagers with two babies and both of the girls pregnant. They don't speak English or any language except some animalistic grunts. We barred the door they had been using, but there are other ways out of that valley if you want to get out. I'm open to ideas and direction."

"Thanks." Poppa said. "Jim, do you have any thoughts on this?"

I heard Jim say, "I hate to leave them where and as they are but someone will be taking on a long, arduous task to bring them to civilization. Many of their habits will have to be changed. Their probable ages and children will not be in their favor, either. I lean pretty strongly toward leaving them where and as they are. We will just want to keep them from causing Mitch and his folk problems. I do wonder what they eat. Man is not a vegetarian normally. Bennie, did you see any bones of animals around them or signs of fire?"

"Neither. I don't think they are acting human but are animal in all their habits. Obviously, they've been surviving though I wonder how long and if it's our duty to do anything. Jack, could you take this before the Council for a decision emphasizing the issues. There are a few do-gooders who will want something done but won't be willing to take personal responsibility for doing it."

Poppa responded, "I think the Council will have to hear and make some decision. I'm aware of your issue. Bennie, I think the four of you should return to appear and tell your story first hand. Mitch can keep us informed of any new developments. Does anyone have any better ideas?"

There was a silence. Poppa said, "So be it. Come by when you get back."

Bennie said that we would start back in a couple of days and everyone signed off.

We watched the valley. The raids by the deer on Mitch's crops stopped. It looked like something had tried to push through the barred door without success. We left the next morning for home, Kevin and Laura with us, of course. Arriving home, we were met by Poppa who invited us to dinner. Bennie and I knew he wanted to talk. Kevin and Laura were still in awe of both of them as the leaders of Preservation. They would play with Mike and his little sister, Mary. I mentioned to Laura to play with the kids but for Kevin and her to listen to us talk to Poppa and Momma.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.