Protection and Preservation, Book 04 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 04

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 23

[Preservation – Janice]

We returned to the rest area to see a different sight. Preservation was in charge and Jim had put together a large force to fight off any invasion. There were patrols out and we had to work to dodge them on our way in. We made it in to the sentry line and identified ourselves. Our sentries let us pass and we notified Jim that we had returned.

He met us at the rest area, which was now his base. We dismounted and introduced our new people. Mary was with him and took over our people while we met with Jim and told him everything that had transpired. He understood what we did even though he admitted that Poppa wouldn't be happy. It wasn't a clean solution and could eventually cause trouble.

Jim had another scouting mission for us. We went over the maps of the area looking for places where the Penn's could cross into Georgia. South was the most likely direction and we told Jim that we had seen his patrols on our way in. He wasn't pleased that we escaped notice easily. We told him that a larger group without Bennie to lead it would have been found. We were moving slowly and very carefully while they were trying to cover a lot of territory. We talked it over for a while and he finally decided to have three groups with the main group at the interstate crossing. The other two groups would have more explosives and be able to blow up the bridges in their care if a push came at them. He wasn't happy with that solution but defense is never easy compared to offense since he couldn't truly choose his ground.

His new instructions for us were to go back into South Carolina and try to determine where the Penn's would strike and do perform a bit of guerrilla warfare at the same time to discourage them. We agreed and would leave in the morning heading north paralleling the state line.

We camped for the night with Jim and his wives and the people we had picked up lately. We had a quiet but enjoyable time. Ed seemed to be more at ease. He had taken up with Louise who was watching over him and trying to ease his mind and calm his emotions. She had returned with the last group of reinforcements. Other than to Jim and his wives, we didn't tell his story. Louise told us that she had told him to leave out certain aspects of it. People understood slavery but not some of the sexual perversions that he had suffered.

We left the next morning looking for trouble but hoping we wouldn't find it. We had our radios and were staying in contact with Jim's communicator on a regular basis.

It was even further north to a bridge over the lake but we went along the shore when possible. We weren't trying to go fast but watch for signs that the Penn's were trying to cross the lake and surprise us. Bennie and I both thought their thrust would be south around the dam where we had crossed before or down I-85. We didn't see anyone and crossed the lake into South Carolina without incident. As soon as we crossed over the bridge, Bennie got us away from both the bridge and the road quickly. He said he had a bad feeling about that road. I trusted Bennie's hunches and so did he.

We moved out of sight purposefully and dismounted. He quickly dodged through a few trees to oversee the road. As he did, he whispered to me that he heard something as we dismounted. We waited a few moments and four Humvee's drove by heading for the bridge. We were laying together and he whispered, "I think they're scouts."

We watched as they drove up to the bridge and stopped. I inhaled suddenly as I saw Anne step out of the second Humvee. Bennie nodded. A moment later, an older man in his mid to late forties got out and stood beside her. She leaned into him in an overtly friendly way. "Her father?" I whispered. Bennie shrugged. We continued our watch as the front Humvee went across the bridge and set up a position commanding the entrance. I whispered, "Jim may have been right." Bennie nodded.

The second Humvee took a position on this side of the bridge to command this side. The third and fourth Humvee went across the bridge and beyond following the road. Bennie went on the radio, "Steve, do you copy me?"

I heard Steve's voice say, "Good copy, Bennie. Go ahead."

"Roger. We are on the South Carolina side of the bridge at US 123, the road to Toccoa. There are two Humvee's at the bridge at each end and two went into Georgia to further scout. I suggest that Jim pull his northern people back for now while Janice and I assess the situation. Also, tell him to quickly check out the southern road. This may be their main push or a feint. We can handle things here so tell him to check south quickly. Over."

"Okay, Bennie. This is Jim. We will do that. Stand by for about an hour and we should know something about the south approach. We are also watching a grouping of ten Humvee's on the other side of the line here at the Interstate. More later."

"Roger, Bennie clear and watching."

We sat back and watched. A little over an hour later, one of the Humvee's returned and must have reported. It left a few minutes later headed down the road away from us into Georgia.

After a moment, Bennie said, "I don't think they have radios. If their scouts aren't equipped, then it's unlikely any others are. I think we are looking at the leadership down there as they watch the bridge with two scout vehicles out." I nodded. We looked up again to see the other scout vehicle return. This one seemed to park like it wasn't going anywhere. I don't think they suspected that any Preservation people were on this side of the line. We remained watchful of our backs anyway.

After another hour, the other Humvee returned and didn't go out again. They appeared to be settling in for the remainder of the day. I said, "I wonder if the group at the Interstate is for show and we might see whatever strength they have come this way?"

Bennie replied, "It's possible. We'll have to wait."

Steve came on the radio and said, "Andy, report."

We could just hear Andy's signal. "This is Andy. We're on station but there has been nothing and no one on the bridge. We can see two Humvee's in town but they have made no move toward the bridge. Back to you, Steve."

That last was a relief because, if he were in trouble, he would have said, "Back to Base" instead. Steve replied, "Roger, please continue on station."

"Steve, this is Bennie."

"Go ahead, Bennie."

"We have four up here waiting. The two that went into Georgia on a total of three trips have returned. Stand by." Bennie pulled his earpiece out and listened. "I'm back. I hear engine noises. We will report further when we have something and can make a count. Stand by."

I could hear them, too. We waited. Bennie whispered, "Go back and release the horses. They will need water and food. We need to stay here. If they make noise, we could have problems. Lead them some before you let them go."

I nodded and crawled away. The horses nickered a bit when I got there. We had taken their saddles off and I hid them away along with excess items that we wouldn't carry when on foot. I then led them by rope halters about a mile further away along the lake area and let them go. I knew that, if they survived, they would make it back to the farm as they had before. This would be their longest trip but necessity had to rule. I made my way back to Bennie who was looking my way as I approached.

We continued to watch. I saw what Bennie had seen develop. There were twenty-two Humvee's and other vehicles gathered at the bridge with lots of men. Bennie whispered that the only female he had seen was Anne.

We reported this information into Jim. We were told that moving across the line back into Georgia would be a good idea if we could. Bennie said that we were in a good spot to watch the bridge and would stay where we were as we had turned the horses loose and would have to walk to a bridge further away. He acknowledged our situation and said, in that case, to keep watch where we were.

Jim reported that five of the cars at the Interstate had left and seemed to have been northbound to be part of the force where we were.

The south observers reported no action in their area. The group we were watching suddenly seemed to crank up and get ready. I reported to Jim. He noted that the ones at the Interstate were also cranking up. This seemed to be a timed process. A couple of minutes later, they moved out across the line into Georgia. Jim reported that the vehicles in front of him were milling around like they were trying to get his attention. He said that the road was blocked and they would wait patiently for anything from them. He said that they had prepared two sets of surprises depending upon which road they took.

The big group pulled out leaving just the two Humvee's and their occupants in place on the bridge. Five minutes later, five new cars drove up and stopped. We reported this information into Jim. A moment later, we heard a loud explosion and bright flash. Bennie said over the radio, "Jim, it appears some of your folks have been playing with explosives. A big one just went off on your side though I can't give you a good reading on exactly where."

"Control, this is Front Road One. We just popped the two lead vehicles. They have backed off and appear to be thinking things over. We're still hidden."

"Okay, Front Road One. Stay that way and advise if they come further. All road stations stand by. Back Road One, please stay alert. Control is clear."

"A few minutes later, I heard, "Control, this is Front Road One. They're backing away. I have one up by the fork. Stand by."

"This is Control. Roger. Back Road One, they may be heading your way."

A minute later, a low voice said, "They are heading down the other road."

"Control, Front Road One says they are heading toward Back Road One."

"Control, roger. Back Road One, head's up. Let 'em get a little further before you hit 'em."

"Roger, Control. We're ready. Stand by."

Two minutes passed and then another. Suddenly, there was a flash and boom from an explosion. "Control, Back Road One. We got three with the explosion and are popping the two in front of them with grenade launchers." Another explosion took place followed by another and then another. It was quiet then. "Control, Back Road One. They are stopped. We got the two front cars and, when they shot into woods at us, we took out the next car, too. We are watching them now. Back Road One is clear."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.