Protection and Preservation, Book 03 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 03

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 20

[Preservation – Jim out from Salt Lake]

I lay back and rested. I was still in pain. I tried to sleep hoping my body would feel better with a little rest. I did sleep a bit though restlessly. I awoke thirsty and still tired. The blood had quit oozing from the cut in my leg though I didn't know if that were good or bad. I tried to move my right leg and it did though it hurt badly when I did. I didn't try to move my left leg at all. I wondered if I could hobble if I could figure out some way to splint my leg. I would also need a crutch of some kind.

I looked around in the car and saw nothing that would be of use except a jacket in the back that I could use to tie something. I opened the passenger door and pulled myself and the jacket out and onto the ground. I wrapped the jacket around my left leg to at least give me some cushion as I dragged along the ground. I looked around and saw no tree branches or wood for splints. Up ahead, I saw a pickup truck that had something sticking out the back. I began to drag myself to it hoping it had something I could use and could reach.

I slowly approached the pickup truck. It had wood in the back. I just had to figure out how to reach it. First, I would rest again. I again felt better for resting. At least my breathing got back to normal. My right leg hurt badly but it also moved more readily. I decided to try putting weight on it and pulled myself into a sitting position at the back of the truck. That worked and I decided to go further. I pulled my knee up and pushed on it trying to lever up with my right leg and my arms. That put weight on my left leg and I had to stop. I thought about it some more and finally figured a way to lever up that didn't affect my left leg much. It dangled and the bone hurt badly when it wiggled. I managed to get upright and looked in the truck. There were a number of short and longer pieces in the bed. However, opening the bed would create a problem as the longer pieces would fall and probably hit me. I knew that putting weight on my left leg was impossible.

Holding my body at an angle to prevent my left leg from touching the ground, I reached into the bed of the truck and pulled a couple of short pieces of wood for splints. I saw some rope which I reached for also. That over balanced me and I fell. I screamed in pain. I held on to the rope and, using it and the wood, managed to splint my leg. I pulled myself up again and pulled a longer piece of wood that would work as a clumsy crutch. There was another piece of wood and I took it, too. I saw a hammer and some large nails. I measured roughly the length and nailed a couple of nails in each piece of wood to give me handles. They would hurt my hands but would be somewhat serviceable. I could move with more ease and a lot more speed. The wood cut into my underarms and the nails hurt my hands but I could move.

I started to search for a car with keys. I found one. The battery was dead.

I then started to search for jumper cables or keys until I saw another truck. The keys were in the ignition and the light turned on when I opened the door. I got in, pumped the gas a couple of times and turned the key. It ground for a moment and then started! I let it run for a bit. I debated on moving back toward Salt Lake or going on. I heard another rumble and saw rocks sliding down behind me. I put the truck in gear and slowly headed away from Salt Lake. The truck was an automatic so my left leg could just hang while I drove and operated the brake and gas with my right. Having my left leg hang down was painful.

I wanted to get away from the area. It seemed much too dangerous. I pulled to a flat section and looked back. There was a sign, "Watch for falling rocks." Surely there had been one going north. How did I miss it earlier? It didn't matter now. I had wheels and could move. The question was where.

I saw a sign for Echo and followed it. There was a small town. I pulled in at a pharmacy. I found a wheel chair and then some real crutches. They would be a real help. I went through the pharmacy on my new crutches looking for a computer that was working and had an Internet connection. There was a computer but the connection would not work. I left the pharmacy after grabbing some bandages and over-the-counter pain pills.

I went to the police station looking for any information that might help. There were computers but none had a working Internet connection. Next door was the EMA office. There I struck pay dirt.

There was still no Internet but there was a list of hams in the area, three of them. Even better were the two meter radios and list of repeaters. I took a radio and an antenna with a mag mount to the truck and painfully hooked it up. I knew that my chance of connecting to one of the Salt Lake City repeaters was slim but I programmed them in and tried each one. It was now late in the afternoon. I decided to find a place to stay for the night and food to eat. I found a city map and tracked the three hams' addresses on it. I went to each in turn. The first two were Technician licensees. The last was a General licensee and he had an HF transceiver. The power was still on. I got it running but missed the forty meter net. I tried twenty meters but had no success. I went back to forty meters and called CQ but no one answered.

The house was comfortable and didn't smell, meaning no one died in it. I decided to stay there for the night. I looked in the freezer and found a frozen dinner. It would do. I ate and went to bed after taking some aspirin.

The next morning started with coffee and a debate. Try to get back to Salt Lake City or stay here, hope for better radio conditions and get help to come to me. I finally decided that one day would be workable. I waited impatiently for the time for the net to come around. I figured forty meters would be the best hope. I called and called. No one heard me. The antennas were not very good. I had looked at them earlier. They weren't high and were too long for forty or twenty meters. We had not been using eighty meters in Salt Lake so I had little hope of anything there with people I might know.

Well, I had tried. I had lunch and left heading north on I-84. I would ride up to I-15 and then head south to Salt Lake City. That didn't work. Just beyond Henefer, I-84 went into mountains. Rock was blocking the road where it hadn't taken it away. I came back to Henefer and looked for a place to stay. I found a small motel that looked clean and pulled in. The power was working. It had an attached restaurant and the freezer had some food in it. I cooked a steak and had some canned beans with it. It wasn't great but I really didn't care. I went to bed early tired from my efforts.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.