Protection and Preservation, Book 03
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Preservation – Jim heads out of D.C.]

I motored out of Washington in no hurry and watched the road and out the sides for people or signs of habitation. People seemed to not hang around on main roads. Since I tried to avoid sticking out, I understood that thinking.

I left taking I-95 north. I wasn't worried about traffic and didn't take any loops. I went right through downtown Baltimore and then to Philadelphia. I had seen the Liberty Bell before and didn't remember anything else that I wanted to see so I kept going. According to Mapquest, it would be about four hours plus to make the trip. I was in the final stages when I saw a sign for Liberty State Park. I had seen the Statue of Liberty for a while to my right. I got off for two reasons. First, the Statue was close and, second, there might be RV hookups available.

I got off the exit ramp and followed the signs. There was no camping or hookups but the terminal building was big. I found an outside plug that would fit and plugged in. Power was my main concern. I had enough water for my needs for a couple of days. I had a phobia about running out of power and not being able to crank the RV. I liked the view that I had. According to the information in the terminal building, there were ferries that ran to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I could either use my boat or one of the ones already in the water. I locked the door, hefted my shotgun, and began to walk around.

I broke into the terminal and found the office with keys for most everything. I wandered over to the boat area and looked at the water and at the boats. A bigger boat would be good though, if the mornings were like most, the water would be smooth then and I could use my boat. I decided that the ferries were a bit much and figured that something would be available in the marina. I wandered over there and was correct.

I returned to the RV, aimed my satellite dish for TV later, and turned on the radio. I spun the dial a bit looking for a live station without success. I pulled my repeater book out and looked up New York. There was a big interconnected repeater on 147.120 MHz. I set the radio and keyed it successfully. I called CQ but heard nothing in response. I watched some TV and surfed the Internet. I clicked on information on Hudson's Bay and was glad that I would be there in the summer. Fall and winter could be nasty.

I prepared and ate supper, watched a little bit of TV, and then went to bed planning to get up early. I should have looked at the weather. I woke earlier than I had planned to the sound of a violent rainstorm. I made coffee and breakfast. After eating, I decided to go back to the terminal and roam around in it. Later, I would check the weather for how long this would last and what the outlook for tomorrow might be. I followed my plan and spent a nice time going through the terminal and its exhibits. It was quieter inside the building than in my RV. I found a computer inside and cranked it up and was able to check weather.com for current reports. Apparently, these are automated and work with no one at the controls. I found that my storm was going to end this afternoon with clearing tonight and clear skies for the morrow. Prudently, I put my trip off for a day.

I spent the rest of the day just wandering around. The weather did clear that afternoon and I went out to the marina and checked out my chosen boat that had ridden through the storm easily. I checked the battery and that it had sufficient gas. I could tell that I wouldn't need a chart as everything was in sight. I did make sure I had an HT charged, though I had no idea who might come to help me if I needed help.

The morning dawned brightly with good sun and a light wind. I had coffee and went to the marina and got on my chosen boat. I cranked it and let it idle while I untied it and grabbed rope to tie up at the Statue and at Ellis Island. I started out going for the Statue first.

I made the trip without incident and tied the boat securely. I went through everything on the island including climbing all through the statue. It was fun though eerily quiet. I had brought a cooler and some light snacks for lunch. I ate while looking out over the harbor and then cast off for Ellis Island.

Ellis Island was awesome. It was difficult to realize that so many people went through this place in search of freedom. I walked through echoing corridors and read exhibits. It was late afternoon when I returned to my boat, cast off, and returned to the marina. I left the keys in the boat and tied it carefully as someone else might some day want to make the same tour. I went back to my RV for the evening. It was barely warm enough but I ate outside enjoying the view and watching the lights in New York City come on. I saw that a few areas didn't seem to have lights but most of the city did and the skyline was beautiful in the clear, evening air.

I mourned for what we had lost. I was lonely as ever. Being around Richard and his family had been good. I realized that I needed people or a pet. I never had a pet after I went off to college. My job precluded having an animal because I might not be home for unpredictable periods of time.

I went to bed knowing that I would feel better in the morning. I got up and proved myself correct. I unhooked my power line and stowed everything in preparation for going into the city. I thought for a few moments and decided to look around for a place to park the RV that seemed safe. I would find a car for my tour.

I crossed over into New York City and found my solution shortly thereafter. There was a car park that was ground only with no roof. It was in a difficult corner to build and that probably accounted for it having no building on it. There were taxis parked all around. I pulled the RV to one side and got out taking my usual precautions. I walked over to a taxi and checked for keys. To my surprise, it looked like all of them had keys in the ignition. I didn't understand but let it go. Good luck was good luck.

I picked a taxi, gathered my maps, and set out for the day. I did all the sightseeing things on the outside that I could think of doing and that I found in the brochures. Mostly, it was ride around. I did get out at the Empire State Building and go up. Nothing was moving outside on the ground. I looked out and wondered how many did survive the virus in the city. Then I thought about the fact that many of those would not survive either. I knew that many people living in New York City did not drive relying upon public transportation because the cost of owning a vehicle was so high. Silently, I wished them luck. I felt they would need it.

It was late afternoon but I had had enough. It was too big and too dead. It was getting on my nerves. I left the taxi and went to my RV. I pulled back across the Hudson and was back on the road. It felt good to be away from the central city. I had skipped Central Park other than a ride by. I had been here before on business and found the city interesting and hugely busy. Now, it had just seemed dead.

I went into Connecticut before stopping for the night. I simply found a place off the interstate and pulled into a quiet country lane. I set the brakes and leveled the RV. It was late so I had supper and went to bed.

Getting up and pulling up stakes took only a few moments. I made coffee and took the carry cup to the cab and started out. Just over three hours later, I was bypassing Boston. That afternoon saw me pulling into the Augusta area. I checked my book and found a nice campground with all amenities. I pulled in and hooked everything up. I replenished my water supply and dumped my holding tank. I decided that I would use this location as my base while I drove around in something else. I walked around and found a car that had been towed behind a camper and claimed it. I thought a few minutes and went back into my RV. I fired up the laptop and searched for a Chevrolet dealer and a Ford dealer. I would try Chevy first for a Corvette. If there wasn't one in stock, then I would pick up a Mustang. I had time so I drove the towed car and found a 'Vette. It took a few minutes to find the keys and get it out of the parking lot. I went to a gas station and filled it up using the dealership's gas card. I found one sitting on the desk where I found the keys. I went back to my RV in style and quickly.

It was June but cool even in the early afternoon with a bright sun. I sat outside with my map to make a tourist route. I did want to see the Ocean from this far north. I also wanted to go to the northernmost point just to have done it. Since I had this nice set of wheels, I would take day tours for a while. After thinking things over, I decided to pack a small suitcase for overnight just to be prepared and, after looking at distances to Nova Scotia and the Canadian Maritimes, I packed two more days worth. My first trip, though, would be to the Ocean.

I left the next morning noting that it was chilly. At least it was to a southern boy. I kept the top up for a while. I drove to Rockland and then up US 1 to Belfast. Not only did I see the Atlantic but I also saw Penobscot Bay. I'm not sure why I thought that was important but it seemed neat at the time. I guess it was a flashback to the old MASH series when Hot Lips was married to a Penobscot. Anyway, I saw it.

I also stopped at lighthouses along the coastline. Maine has a lot of those. I had put the top down and was driving along slowly looking at everything. The buildings were different and yet were similar to a southern town of the same size. A lot of steep roofs were to be found up here. I had gotten into town when I heard a shot. I pulled over and killed the engine. I looked over the edge of the car carefully to try to think where the shot had come from. I heard another and realized that this one was way up the road.

I pulled the keys and took my shotgun and began to walk in the direction of the last shot. I heard another and a scream. I began to run though thinking that I could be a target if I weren't careful. I heard an animal howl ahead and some low barking like from a really big dog. I slowed down and came around a corner. There were four of the biggest dogs I had ever seen in front of me worrying something that looked like it had been human. It was dead now. I still hadn't seen a gun. My natural question was, "who was shooting?" I felt in my pockets. I had shells in the shotgun and four to six in my jacket pocket. I had my pistol and an extra clip. I was not equipped for a firefight. Looking at the "dogs," I wasn't sure I could take them all. I could get a couple with the shotgun and pull the pistol. How well I could do with the pistol was conjecture. I had fired it but not in a hurry and not at a moving target. I resolved to cure that deficiency if I could soon, real soon.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.