Protection and Preservation, Book 03 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 03

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 11

[Preservation – Jim in North Carolina]

While I was in Concord, I went to a big box store and picked up a new laptop with all the goodies including wireless internet and Wi Fi connections of a couple of types. I used my credit card to connect and get them approved. There was no one to pay and, apparently, there was still some room on it. I had not used it since the Day for anything except activations.

I filled up on gasoline and used my new laptop to find a campsite for the afternoon and evening. I knew the drive was only a bit over four hours but didn't want to do it this afternoon. I was emotionally spent again. The toll of so many people dead was getting to me again. I left the gas station and went to the first campground that I found through my laptop. I pulled into a spot and hooked up. I went back inside and locked up. I then sat at the dining table and put my head in my hands.

I cried. I cried for my sister, her husband and their baby, my nephew. I cried for my parents dead in that accident. I cried for Dot and Sue and their parents. I cried for Sam and Angie and their parents. I cried for the man I shot who had killed their dad and mom. I cried for myself. I just let it out. I was tired of death. I was tired of being alone. The tension of always being watchful, of having no one watching my back, was dragging me down. I didn't understand the violence. There were so few of us left. I finally wept myself dry.

I got up and took a quick shower and felt better. The water washed away some of my sorrow. I took a Coke from the fridge and my keys and went outside and sat down. I needed to think. I could live in the RV for a long time and just travel aimlessly or I could continue my trek to my house in Virginia. There was nothing for me there but it was familiar.

I decided that I would go there before making any other plans even aimless ones. I also felt my radios were not right and that could be cured at my place. I knew that what I had there worked and worked well. I also had the test equipment to check out the radios here in the RV. I went back inside. On a whim, I checked my personal and office email accounts. I erased everything from before the Day which was everything. I went on Facebook and checked it for any entries after the Day. There were two but both complaining about being sick. I put an entry in there that I was well and heading home to Richmond. I listed my cell phone number. I went on QRZ and did the same for my call sign. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I had supper and went to bed.

The next morning, I woke up feeling better. I was still sad but my sister's death was not an active sore on my heart any longer. I had known in my heart what I would find there. Anything else was just a vain hope. I made a quick breakfast, unhooked, and pulled out. I was back on the road again. That term had less impact and less allure than it might have in another time. I headed northeast on I-85 knowing I would make Richmond and my house today. I was right. The trip went without incident. My car was even there as I had taken a taxi to the airport to avoid leaving it parked at the airport for two weeks.

As was becoming usual, I saw no one and heard no one. My house was undisturbed. I didn't check the mail because I felt it wouldn't matter. I pulled the RV far up into my drive. With a side entrance garage, that was a long way from the street. It wasn't out of sight but looked, I hoped, purposeful to casual onlookers. I had to bring food in from the RV because the cupboard was bare as usual.

I went to my radios and turned them on. I dialed around. My two favorite bands had been twenty and fifteen meters and my antennas reflected that interest. It meant that I had little contact with local hams except on two meters but gave me lots of contacts for DX. I was well on my way to a DXCC award for working one hundred countries. If I had had more time, I'm sure that would have been accomplished already. I turned on my two meter for the local repeaters but heard nothing even after keying them and id'ing. They were working but no one was there. I left the HF on 14.300 MHz. while I went about my usual chores upon a return from a business trip.

By the time I finished and ate, it was time for bed. I called it a day and crawled into my own bed to sleep. It felt strange to sleep there; it had been so long.

Morning came and I got up early. I decided that, while I ate breakfast, I would make a plan. Then I decided that I would make two plans. The first would be immediate and the second would be more long term. I sat down with my breakfast and coffee with a notepad beside my plate. My first need was groceries. The RV didn't have much storage and I was about out of everything. Fresh food might be difficult or impossible. I made a grocery list on a separate page. I finished eating and freshened my coffee. I went back to my list. I decided that working up a method of calling CQ automatically would be a good idea if I traveled and even if I didn't. I was not going to sit at the radio all day and night. It shouldn't be hard to rig a recorder that would record replies above a certain S level. I put that on my list.

I started a new list on another page for long-term issues and wrote food on it. At some point, I would have to figure that one out. Canned goods would last for many years but fresh meat, even frozen, and vegetables and fruits would not. I put some notes under food so I would remember what I meant.

On my short-term list, I wrote that I needed to check out the radios in the RV and be sure they were working correctly. I had a few friends in the area and some of them had fairly elaborate stations that were well equipped. I would go after whatever I needed and check their status as I did so. I put their calls on my short-term list.

I went to my long-term list and put down "Where to live" on it. If I had to grow food, a subdivision was not going to work as a farm. On the other hand, this was a comfortable house that suited me well. As I looked at my lists, it dawned upon me that I was going to travel as my short-term list was oriented toward preparing for a trip. With that thought in mind, I began to think more on that idea and the preparations I would have to undertake.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.