Protection and Preservation, Book 03
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Protection – Robby on the Road]

All four of us were nervous, as were the horses. We had made very good time and I called a halt a bit earlier than I might but we could see a fine house with a good barn. We pulled in the drive and were met by a man with a rifle at the door. He looked more worried than belligerent. He said, "Have you seen the lions?"

Pam answered, "Yes, sir. They were around us last night. My name is Pam. With me are my spouses, Melissa, Robby, and Charles. We were going to stop here for the night. Can you tell us where a house and barn are located where we might safely stay the night?"

He replied, "Let's talk a bit, Pam. Perhaps we can work something out. I'm Darryl and my wife, Cindy, and children, James and Doris, are with me. Where are you folks from and why are you here?"

Pam continued, "We are from a new community near Henderson, Tennessee, named Protection. We were sent here after our preacher, Abe, had a vision that people to our northwest needed some help. Abe didn't know what the problem might be. Our elected leader, Doctor George Andrews, asked if we would go and help or determine what was needed and report back.

"It looks like you have need of a lion tamer." She grinned up at Darryl.

He grinned back and set his rifle down. "Why don't you tie your horses and come sit a spell on the porch?" He looked back into the house and shouted, "Cindy, it's okay."

He picked a chair on the porch and sat down. We dismounted and joined him. Charles sat with his arm around Pam and Melissa sat on my lap. Darryl said, "What did you mean spouses, Pam?"

Charles said, "We're all married to each other. Protection allows plural marriage. We're the first quadruple and, while most are regular couples, there are some triples. It just worked out that we realized we loved each other and Abe and George went along with the situation. It isn't for everyone but it works for us."

I spoke up. "We have been followed by a pack of lions for a few days. They get close at night but distance themselves from us during the day. There has been little game, also. What's the situation with all that?"

Cindy came out followed by two children aged around ten or twelve. She said, "It's terrible. The lions appeared about six months ago. They've wiped out the game and most of the farm animals. We still have a few cattle and horses but have to watch them when they go out to pasture. If you go into the woods, the lions will get you. They're smart and we've only been able to kill a few. Our best shooter was killed by them a month ago."

I said, "Perhaps, that was why Abe wanted us here. I am a good shooter and my three spouses are close to me in ability. If nothing is done, the lions may become a threat to Protection. I think now's the time to deal with them. Darryl, how many people live in the area?"

"I think there are six or eight families left. A couple of families were wiped out by the lions and five or six moved away. The ones left watch out for the lions and each other. We have hunted in the past but never tried to hunt hunters. Deer don't eat you."

I chuckled, "Unfortunately, I have hunted men in the past as well as have been hunted. It's not fun and takes some getting used to. I've noticed that they close in at night and back off during the day."

Cindy said, "They will try things at night. They know we have guns and will go after them in daylight. No one has ever been able to track them at night. We're afraid to shoot at them at night. One family did and they were wiped out. The lions came into the house and took them all. It was terrible."

Charles said, "If we were prepared, I think we could handle them. We brought well over a hundred rounds each on the wagon along with a few other surprises the lions might not like."

He looked at me and said, "Robby, why don't we set up a trap in an empty house and see if we can take them out?"

Pam said, "I want to be sure we're all safe before we do that. That includes you, Robby."

I feigned surprise, "I'm always careful. I'm the most cautious person I know." That resulted in a laugh from my spouses. I pretended to be hurt, "You all know that I'm cautious. I'm just sometimes quick to assess a situation."

Melissa said, "Robby, I think that's true but sometimes it's quicker than anyone else in the world can comprehend."

Pam said, "Back to the initial subject, Robby. What do you think about a trap?"

I responded, "We can do something. I'm concerned that they have invaded a house as a result of an overt offensive maneuver against them. We will need to plan this carefully with a safe room of some kind and the ability to stay there for some time. It will take some thought and planning to find a place and prepare it."

Darryl said, "You're serious about doing something! I'll help and so will others. None of us know what to do or how to do it."

I said, "We were sent up here to help and I have some skills that will be of use. Darryl, are most of the farms around here like yours in layout?"

"Umm, yes, I guess so. Most of them are about the same size and a good layout for a farm is a good layout."

"Darryl, I have some questions. Have you seen or heard of any of these lions in trees?"

"Only once, that's how they got Fred. He was our best shooter. He was pulled down from a tree stand."

"Have they ever attacked a house in the daytime?"

"No. They stay back in the day. If you go into the woods, they are there and will get you. I've lost cows that way. There's a section of our pasture that crosses a creek and goes into the tree line about a hundred feet. Crossing that creek is a death sentence for our animals. We don't do it."

"Is there an armory close around that hasn't been raided?"

"Cape Girardeau has the best. I don't think anyone has been in it since the Day. We've never seen any reason for going there or getting in there."

"Good. That's our next stop. We'll need some gas or diesel depending upon what we find there. Darryl, we're going to fight a war against the lions. I want some real firepower and armament to hit them hard enough to either kill them off or make the survivors find somewhere else to live from that time on."

Cindy said, "I don't know how you'll do that but I sure hope you do."

"I hope so, too. On both counts." I chuckled. "It all depends upon what we find at the armory and how we can utilize it."

We spent the night with Darryl and Cindy after shutting the animals up tightly in the barn and ourselves in the house. Cindy treated us to a good breakfast and Darryl went with us to the armory. We had to break in. The building was well built and spacious. Pam suggested that all the people in the area surviving move to the armory, which was safe from lion attacks.

The armory also had Humvee's with sufficient armor to protect the occupants from lions. There were even three Bradley machines if we could use them. Fuel was our next issue. The tanks at the armory were not really useable. Darryl and Charles would begin to ride to the neighbors to tell them what we were planning. Melissa would stay barricaded in the armory while Pam would go with me to search for diesel to power either group of vehicles. These were the military versions, not the civilian Hummers. Either one would be able to sustain attacks from lions but the Bradley's would be my choice if we can get them cranked. They were tracked, which gave them serious rough terrain ability, and could be used "buttoned up." The ones at the armory were the troop carrier version and even had gun ports for extra shooters.

Charles and Darryl's trip bore fruit and families started to come into the armory and join Melissa. When they returned, Cindy and the children were with them. Melissa had been busy making the armory ready for guests. I worked over fighting machines. We wound up with fourteen adults, three teenagers, and twelve kids. Our trip was successful and we returned with diesel and some serious batteries to turn over engines until they started.

I overheard one couple talking. The husband said, "I told you the government would get their act together and come help us." The wife just nodded.

Darryl introduced us to the crowd. They seemed to take our marital status without any problem particularly since we offered a chance of curing them of their problem. I explained at length that I was not from any government, be it federal, state, or local. I told them that our pastor told us of a vision that he had. From it, he told our community that some people northwest of us needed help.

I asked about experience in the military and with the Bradley's. Two of the men and one woman were familiar with the Bradley's and could drive them. We worked over the Bradley's and managed to crank two. The third had a problem that we couldn't quickly diagnose. Charles and Melissa would ride with one along with two other men. The other man, Stan, would drive the other and Pam and I would ride with him along with two more men and one woman. It turned out she knew the weapons systems well. We cranked the Bradley's and filled them with diesel. Each was left with a crew of two while they warmed up and were "exercised" to be sure they would operate properly. We went looking for and found night vision goggles for all riders with six extra sets for those remaining inside.

I called everyone together and said, "You have been told that we are from a community called Protection and came to help. In case you missed it, my name is Robby. I used to be in the Special Forces before the Day. I have fought men but this will be my first time against animals.

"The plan is simple. Stay here, have the lions surround us letting them hear the motors running, and then tomorrow we attack. That plan is also simple. We will put the two Bradley's outside during the day with crews. On my signal in the evening, we will begin to shoot the lions from the Bradley's and shooting will start from here, also. I want noise. The Bradley's machine guns will do the most but I hope that most of us will be able to kill a few. My hope would be to kill all the lions. My real expectation is to severely cut their numbers and finish the job if they will attack us a second night. The other choice will be to go into the woods and fields after them. That will be more dangerous but can be done. Until we think the threat is over, everyone will remain here in relative safety. If anyone has a better idea or embellishments that will help, let me know."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.