Protection and Preservation, Book 02 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 02

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 14

[Atlanta, Georgia]

We went into Atlanta the next morning but added Ted, Charlie, and Robert with a shopping list and a trailer. We went first to the CNN center. Michael read the method to tape a statement and then break into the repeating broadcast with our bit of news. Janice, Sylvia, Michelle, and Mary were all at our house waiting for calls. The only thing we added was Shirley gave her first name and the date at the beginning. Our taping went off without a hitch and Michael was able to run it in to the repeating line that was there. We watched on the outside televisions. It was only thirty seconds long and played every five minutes along with other taped items. Our phones rang. It was Janice and Mary calling to say that they saw it on the cable feed to the house.

Before we left the building, Shirley’s phone rang again, it was Janice and Shirley put it on speaker. She said, “Someone called for you on the phone. I told them you were out but that I was answering for you right now and gave my first name. He is a member of three couples in the Roswell area. He wants to talk about joining us. They are willing to work though don’t know farming. One of the women is a nurse. There are two teachers and a high school coach in the group, too.”

“Did he leave you a number?” Shirley asked.

“Yes, I have it right here.”

“Good. Hang on. Jack, what do you think? We’re half way there. We could meet on the Perimeter at 400 pretty easily.”

I said, “Okay, set it up for, um, an hour and a half from now. Janice, call back to confirm it with them, then call us. Call Cindy to join you there.”

“Okay” Janice hung up.

“Why Cindy, Jack?” Michael said.

“She’s got a good head on her shoulders and the script was hers.”

“Good.” He said. “She had been worried about her being accepted as a stranger. She’s always been very quiet, shy even.”

“She won’t be long because I won’t give her the chance. I like her.” Shirley said.

We were loading generators when Shirley’s phone rang again. It was Janice and Shirley put her on speaker.

“Cindy’s here, Shirley, and she wants to speak to you. Here she is.”

“Shirley, this is Cindy. I heard the call from Janice to the new folks. There is something wrong there. Michael will tell you that my undergrad degree was psychology. I’ve always been good at reading voices. There is a tension there in the guy’s voice that shouldn’t be there. There is something going on and the truth is not what we heard. The guy speaking is under a strain. Scout out the location for an ambush. We did not tell them that there were more than two people going to meet them. I just ... Oh, I don’t know but there’s something wrong.”

“Okay, you’ve been on speaker.” Shirley said. “Michael is nodding. I am troubled because this is the first group that we couldn’t check out in some manner and they were quick to call. Have you had any other calls or other response?”

“No.”

“Shirl, we will have to be prepared. Hold on for a moment there, Cindy. We need to think for a minute.” I looked at the other men and Shirley. No one seemed to have any great ideas. “Okay, here’s my thinking. We will get police vests. Only Shirley and I will be close at the meet. The rest of you and your trucks will not be in evidence. We have an hour to get there and get prepared so, unless somebody has a better idea, that’s it. At the house, what do you think?”

“It should work unless they are prepared for a pitched battle. The worst-case guess that I have is that they are scavengers who see this situation as easy pickings. They won’t want to kill you but capture you and take over.” Said Cindy over the speakerphone.

“Okay, we have guns with us. Shirley and I will take my truck. Michael, you and Ted steal something. Charlie, you and Robert will take your truck and stay well back. Use binoculars to watch us. We will lock down the transmitter key in my truck and carry a HT when we get out. Michael, here’s a HT for you and Ted. Let’s plan for bad and hope we will be happily disappointed. Anyone have any other or more ideas.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.