Protection and Preservation, Book 02
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[West Georgia]

After breakfast, Shirley took all four of us into the radio shack and started going over how the radios worked and how to operate on the different bands for which we had antennas and could tune. Our current antenna was an inverted vee fan dipole with elements for eighty, forty, and twenty meters. Shirley explained that there were other ham bands, which we would use in the future when we could get antennas that would tune to them efficiently. She said we could tune to fifteen meters, also, with the current antenna. She taught us how to tune with the automatic tuner, which was easy to use. She showed us a “band plan” that showed the frequencies available. She then explained the two-meter radio next to the HF radio including their differences.

“Mary, you met Ted, didn’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Call him on two meters.”

She slowly reached for the correct microphone and, pushing the PTT switch, said, “Ted, this is Mary. Do you hear me?”

“Hi, Mary. It’s good to hear you on two meters. Is Shirley teaching you how to operate the radios?”

“Yes, it’s not as hard as I thought it would be. How are you doing today?”

“Well. I’ve just been hanging around the house to answer the radios. I am tracking the local repeater as well as a couple of other repeaters in Atlanta on VHF. On HF, I am listening on 3.970 and checking on forty meters on a couple of frequencies every once in a while. I call every half hour to see if there is anyone out there.”

We heard the repeater go blank. “Hi, Ted. This is Shirley. Thanks for what you’re doing. Why don’t you monitor forty meters today and I will have Mary and Janice call on 3.970. We’re going shopping for a while and will monitor two meters as well as 3.970.”

“Roger, Shirley. Have fun. Ted clear and QSY to forty meters, 7.185.” We heard the repeater go blank again.

“Both of you,” Shirley said, “that is called ‘letting the repeater drop’ and it’s done to know that the other party has ceased to transmit and to let the repeater’s transmitter cool for a second. Most repeaters have an automatic timer and, after three minutes of steady transmitting, they will time out, or quit working and recycle. When you transmit, heat builds up from the power used to transmit and it allows the repeater to cool off for a moment.

“The term, QSY, means changing frequency. It’s called hamspeak and comes from the days when morse code was used exclusively. Code or CW is readable on weaker signals than voice. It used to be required knowledge for a ham license.”

“Okay, that means,” Janice said, pausing, “we shouldn’t talk for more than three minutes at a time.”

“Correct. You will find that is more difficult than you would think. Most people don’t talk that long without a pause to let the other person into the conversation.”

Mary said, “Oh, I hadn’t thought of that.”

“Most people don’t. Not even experienced hams. They have heard it but don’t think about it on a regular basis.”

“Now, today, here’s what I want you to do. Listen on two meters. Jack or I will call you. On HF, call ‘CQ’ every five or ten minutes. I will show you.” Picking up the HF mike and pressing the PTT (push to talk) switch, she said, “CQ, CQ, CQ. This is K4SAA, Shirley in west Georgia calling CQ. K4SAA calling CQ and listening. Over.” She released the PTT switch and set the mike down. We heard nothing but static. “If someone hears you they will answer something like this, ‘K4SAA, this is WA4LBV responding. WA4LBV. Over.’ Once you hear that, write down their call, their name and location. If they don’t have a call, get their name and location. Tell anyone you talk to on HF that we have a net, an on-air meeting, at 8:00 pm. eastern time every evening on this frequency. You may talk to them as long as you want. Just remember two rules for now. Don’t tell them where you are more than ‘west Georgia’ and don’t give them details unless you feel really comfortable telling them and whoever might be listening and not talking that information. Radios are public. People listen and don’t talk. Be safe.”

Both Mary and Janice looked startled but nodded carefully. “No problem, Shirley,” said Janice.

“Okay, try it out. Be patient. Do other things and take turns. Both of you need to practice doing this. We will be back soon.”

We left the house for my truck but Shirley stopped me and said, “I have the information on water flow for power. Why don’t we measure our little creek up the hill?”

“Okay, Shirl, that’s fine. How are we going to measure water flow rates?”

“Good question. I know there are meters for that but have no idea where to look for them.”

“I have an idea. First, we can measure the depth at center and the width of the stream. We can assume two upside down right triangles. That can give us a good approximation of the area of flow. Then, we have to figure rate. If we put a float in the water and time it as it travels ten feet, that gives us a speed. Then, determining water flow becomes an exercise in math. It may not be exact but should give us a decent approximation. We can then figure if we’re in the ballpark or not.”

“Jack, that’s good. I knew my husband was good for something other than a bed warmer.”

“Thanks, I think. Let’s get what we need and pick a spot.”

We did just that and came up with a number that put us, according to the chart, able to generate up to five kilowatts depending upon the waterwheel and turbine used. Now we just had to make it all work. We had gone up the hill and then came back and went inside to the computer to work our calculations. Shirley said, “That’s the longer term solution. Short term, why don’t we start a tank farm and pick up two or three generators along with enough propane to drive the stove and heating system next winter?”

I replied, “As much as I would like to start a grand dam project, I think that order makes more sense. It’s going to take a while to get our power setup going. In the meantime, losing power this spring is all too likely.” We went out to the truck and started in toward the nearest little town. There was a propane dealer there. We could check his truck, fill it up and bring it back and park it somewhere. We could use it to fill the propane tank at the house. Our next stop would be for electricity, which would take us to a larger town for a fuel distributor for gas and a big box store for generators. I knew there was one in Carrollton. We were in luck, the propane truck was full, and the instructions on its operation were clear. We brought it back and parked it hidden from the road and the house. It was lunchtime and we were hungry. We pulled a disappointed Mary and Janice from the radios and all had lunch.

As we ate, Mary said, “No one answered us at all.”

“Don’t be too sad.” said Shirley. “There were only seven hundred thousand or so hams before the Day and you are only on one frequency on one band. After lunch, we will tune around on eighty meters and try a few more frequencies that I know were popular. Tonight, after the net, we will get into other bands and check them out.”

Both of them nodded. Janice said, “Well, what did you two do this morning?”

I answered, “We picked up a truck full of propane to keep us in gas for a few years, brought it here, and parked it out of sight. This afternoon, we are going after a generator or three and fuel for them. We are going to be prepared to get off the grid. Sooner or later, we will have the usual power outage from a thunderstorm. We are going to be ready. My real concern is that we will lose the Internet, also.”

Shirley’s head popped up. “I think I have a solution to that. There is a satellite service for the Internet. While we’re at it, we might as well set up for satellite service because if we lose the internet, we lose cable TV, also.”

“Mary, Janice, why don’t you come with us in your truck? It looks like we will be picking up a lot of stuff as we ‘shop.’” I said.

They were in favor of that and we cleaned up and left.

We drove into Carrollton together. We all had pistols. I had a shotgun and my rifle in my truck. We pulled into the big box home improvement store. We had seen no one and I hoped it would stay that way. We checked for generators and found two that were sufficiently powerful. We loaded one into Mary’s truck and hooked the other to the back of it as it was on wheels. Both were gasoline powered. That led us to the local fuel distributor. We saw that it had been looted some. I was guessing that Dad and his brothers had been here though my vigilance increased. We found a fuel truck and managed to figure out the pumps for loading the tank with gas and filling its truck tank with diesel. On the way home, we stopped and topped off both our pickups at a gas station. We saw no one out and heard nothing. I drove the fuel truck into the same spot as our propane truck and parked it. Then, I got in with Shirley and headed over to our home. It was time for supper. I felt like we were being watched the whole time we were in Carrollton. I never saw anyone but my shoulder blades itched. I asked Shirley and she agreed. There was someone there but they had remained hidden.

Shirley said, “Janice, would you and Mary prepare supper. Jack and I are going up the drive and block it. Jack, get the chainsaw.” I did and we cut a small tree back from the road and let it fall over blocking the road with us inside. Shirley had brought some grease and made the cut look old if you didn’t look closely. We loaded up and went back to the house for supper.

As we sat down to eat, Mary asked, “What was that about?”

“Jack and I both felt watched while we were in Carrollton. I decided to act on our paranoia.”

Janice said, “Do you think we should keep watch for a couple of nights?”

“I’m not sure but we are going to be sure that no lights are on late. I just don’t know but both of us have admitted to a bit of concern. After supper, let’s go get on the radio, check in, and try some other bands.” Everyone nodded and the rest of the meal passed in small talk and talk about radio operating procedures.

We went into the radio room and a couple of minutes before eight, Janice called, “CQ, CQ, this is Janice calling the Survivors’ Net. Mary, Shirley and Jack are with me. Who else is out there in radio land?”

I couldn’t repress a snicker. Shirley said, “The survivors’ net? What’s that?”

Janice replied, “I decided our net needed a name and named it.”

“Cool name,” came over the radio, “Janice. This is Matthew in Montgomery with my dad.”

“I like it. This is Ted, your next door neighbor.”

“This is Charlie, and I like it, too. I leave tomorrow.”

“This is Jack. It’s as good as any.”

“This is Mitch. It suits me.”

“This is Robert. I’m back.” It was a weak signal but we heard it.

Shirley grabbed the mike and said, “Robert, what has happened? Your signal is weak but readable. Go ahead.”

“I dodged a rhinoceros and wrecked my truck. I am in Birmingham, finally. I had to take a car from a house, and then find a ham by looking for an antenna to get back on the air. The truck was totaled and the radios were wiped out, also. I’m bruised up but able to get around slowly. I was sort of surprised when it crossed the road without warning. Those things are big!”

“What can we do for you, Robert?” Shirley asked.

“I think I will be okay. I banged my leg in the wreck though it’s better now. I wasn’t ready for anything like that to cross my path! The ham’s house that I found does not have a working Internet or electricity. I can see lights closer into town but wanted to stop while it was light. It took a while to get a battery over to the radio and I don’t know how long it will last. Ask me questions that I can answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to limit my transmitting time tonight.”

Shirley said, “Okay, you have told us that you were hurt but can get around. You also need some help. With no power where you are, I am guessing that you need some information on hams in Birmingham so you can pick up equipment? Also, I am guessing that you have VHF capability by an HT or regular mobile. If those are correct assumptions, give me a click.”

We heard a click over the radio. “Shirley, this is Mitch in Talladega.”

“Go ahead, Mitch.”

“Thank you. I would suggest that, if Robert has decent wheels, he come on to Talladega on I-20 and I can set him up when he gets here with whatever he needs. He can contact me via the Mt. Cheha repeater once he gets over the mountains east of Birmingham. The Cheha repeater is at 147.090 with a positive offset and tone of 131.8. You can probably catch me from your place also, Shirley. Over.”

“I didn’t think of that, but you’re probably right. Ted, can you get the Cheha repeater?”

“Yes, Shirley. It takes about fifteen or twenty watts but you can get in from your QTH.”

“Great! Robert, is that good with you?”

We heard another click.

“Good. I am guessing that you will start out tomorrow morning?”

Another click came through the speaker.

“Charlie,” Shirley said, “are you going to start out tomorrow for Jack’s place?”

“Yes, Shirley, that’s correct. He gave me some repeaters to hit close to him. We think we can talk until I’m really close on eighty meters. At least, that’s the plan.”

“Okay, that’s good news. Be careful. Don’t hit any elephants or rhinoceroses!”

“I’ll be careful, Shirley. Jack, I should get there early afternoon tomorrow.”

“Charlie, this is Jack. I will be listening for you. I look forward to your visit.”

“Is there anyone else on frequency who would like to join the Survivors’ Net tonight? It doesn’t matter if you are a licensed ham or not.”

We all listened breathlessly for a long minute. “Okay, I’m not hearing anyone. Guys, this is Shirley. Seventy-three to all of you from all of us. We are going to check other bands but will be here tomorrow at the same time. Shirley, clear.”

“Good night, Shirley,” we heard a few times.

Shirley had laid the mike down and turned to us. “Okay, guys, first let’s get Cheha set up on two meters and then we will try forty and twenty meters.”

Janice said, “Shirley, let me try the two meter radio.”

“Okay, but explain what you are doing so Jack and Mary can learn and I can check you on it.”

“Okay, I read the instructions on this radio. It’s a Yaesu and is fairly easy to program.” She thought for a moment. “First, you press the memory button twice to go to VFO mode. Then, using the mike, you can set the frequency to 147.090. The radio automatically sets the correct offset shown by the small plus on the screen. To set the tone, you have to turn on tones by pressing the set button, turning the knob to tone, press set again and turning the knob to “ENC” which stands for ‘encode.’ You press set once to return to the general set mode. Then turn the knob to the tones choices and press set again. You turn the knob to 131.8 and then press set twice to save all that. To save what you did into memory, you press the memory button and a memory number will flash at a beep. To save it to that memory number, you press memory again for two beeps and it’s there. To test it, we go back to memory and turn to the memory number.” She turned the knob. “You press the PTT,” which she did, “This is Janice testing. Clear.” [Ed. Note: I have one and that’s how it’s done. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. A good repeater is high and has great range. Mt. Cheha is the one described and is definitely accessible from the points described here and more.]

The repeater held a moment and identified itself and then switched off. “Very good,” Shirley said, “you have it all. You are now the official two-meter expert. Now, let’s change radios and bands and try forty meters.”

She explained what she was doing as she did it. On our scratch sheet, she wrote down, “40 Meters – 7.185.” She said, “Forty meters, in the old days was shared at night with overseas short-wave stations. 7.185 was a popular frequency along with 7.190 to 92 and 7.178. For extra class, Dad spent a lot of time on 7.153. There can be someone at any point, but these were popular. In the daytime, 7.251, 7.262, 7.268 and 7.280 were all frequencies that I used.” She turned to 7.185 and said, “CQ, CQ, CQ, this is Shirley, K4SAA calling CQ on 7.185. K4SAA calling CQ and listening. Over”

She released the mike switch. We waited. She picked up the mike and said, “CQ, CQ, CQ, this is Shirley, K4SAA, calling any station. Shirley, K4SAA, calling for any station on 7.185 and listening. Over.”

She released the mike switch and sat back. Again, we waited. “Okay,” she said, “no one there right now. We will tune upwards and try some more.” She repeated the same sequence on 7.191 and 7.192 with no results. “I’m going to try further up if the short-wave stations aren’t on.” She tuned further up and stopped on the “five’s” to listen we heard nothing. She tried at the four higher frequencies in the same manner with no success. She then tuned down toward 7.153 but stopped when she heard what sounded like a voice. She waited for a second and then keyed the mike, saying, “CQ, CQ, CQ, this is Shirley, K4SAA, calling CQ for any station.”

We waited but heard nothing. Three long minutes passed. She called again and we waited. We heard nothing and she tuned to 7.153 and listened for a couple of moments. She called again and waited. She called again. We waited again. She tuned up to 7.178 and called again.

“Shirley, K4SAA, this is Ollie, AA3RV. Come in, Shirley, K4SAA from AA3RV.”

Shirley scribbled the call and name quickly. Then she said, “AA3RV, this is Shirley, K4SAA, returning. Good evening.”

“K4SAA, AA3RV returning. I am Ollie in Monroeville, Pennsylvania. What is your QTH and current status?”

“Ollie, we are in west Georgia. I am with my husband and his family here. We are fine but haven’t found many people left alive. What is your status and where is Monroeville?”

“I am here with my daughter, Anne, and my grandson, Oliver. Monroeville is in metropolitan Pittsburgh in western Pennsylvania. We have seen a few people from a distance but no one we know survived. Over.”

“We are farmers here and are doing okay but preparing for the power grid to go away. We are moving the farms from cash crops to subsistence farming and independence. We have seen almost no people since the Day. It seems to run in families but we aren’t sure. What did you do before the day?”

“My daughter and I are doctors and practiced together before the day. My grandson is a high school student but has para-medic training.”

Shirley looked over at me, eyes wide. She keyed the mike and said, “Would you three consider joining us? We could use a doctor and have a pretty good setup here with a strong community of about twenty plus souls thus far.”

“We would have to talk it over. I have no objection but my daughter will have questions. Would you stand by for a bit? I will get her and my grandson.”

“Yes, Ollie. This is Shirley standing by.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.