Protection and Preservation, Book 01 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 01

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 27

[Tennessee]

We went outside to see thunderclouds had suddenly developed in the distance.

Judith said, "That was quick. That weather is moving fast and it's coming this way."

Jane said, "I think we need to get under cover very soon. After it passes, we will have to check on our people." We could hear the rumble of thunder in the distance.

I said, "I understand that, Jane. What puzzles me is the cell signals going away. Those cell towers have some battery backup to cover short power failures."

Jane said, "They did before the Day. With no maintenance, they may not be so good any more."

Judith said, "That's something else for our list. Right now, should we tie things down? What about the animals?"

Jane answered, "The best thing is to release the horses and cattle into the pasture. The chickens will either weather it okay or be in trouble. There is a storm cellar but I haven't been in it in at least two years. I guess we will get to check it now."

The wind had begun to blow and a light rain was coming down. I said, "Judith and I will see to the animals. You and Bethany get to the shelter, open it up, and check it out. Make sure we can see you. I want to move the truck to a spot away from trees and buildings." Everyone nodded and started in the appropriate directions.

Judith and I released the animals from the barn into the pasture and shut the chickens in the coop. I hoped they would be okay. We had gone to a lot of trouble to get them here. I cranked my truck and moved it out from under the oak and away from any other trees or any buildings. By this time, the wind was blowing harder and the rain was beginning to sting. I saw Jane waving and ran toward her.

I got to her and she said, "Judith and Bethany are inside." I was looking out to windward and saw a funnel. Jane saw it, too, and shouted, "Inside. We don't take the risk!"

She went down the ladder and I followed her fast. The doors lifted up and could be closed and barred from below. I pushed them up and closed them pulling the bar into place. We all huddled. It needed some work to be comfortable and I made a mental note to clean it up later. I would also rig up some lights connected to a battery system, also.

The next thing I heard was a roaring sound and the ground shook! Jane looked at me. "It's big and it's close!" She shouted. I nodded and we all huddled closer. The wind screamed. I had heard howling wind before but this was a scream.

After ten minutes, it all let up. Jane said, "Be careful. Let's open the door. Remember, it will open down and there could be things on the it."

There was water and leaves and bits of branches. I got wet but wasn't hurt. I stepped out into the yard and looked around. The house looked fine, the barn was badly damaged, and my truck was gone! Apparently, I had moved it right into the path of the tornado! I stepped away from the door and helped Jane, Judith, and Bethany out.

Jane and Bethany ran over to the house and looked at it from outside. It seemed undamaged. Judith and I walked over to the barn. It had suffered at one side closest to where the tornado had come through. I was looking around hoping to see my truck. Way down the path, I saw a flash of red about four football fields away. I decided that I could check later. Judith and I walked over toward the house and met Jane and Bethany.

Jane said, "The house seems okay. How's the barn?"

Judith said, "We had let the animals out and a side is damaged but we can fix it."

Bethany asked, "Where's your truck?"

I said, "I think it's way down that way."

She said, "Wow!"

I said, "Let's round up the animals. Jane, you and I need to saddle a couple of horses and check the track. I can tell it came close to Amos and Doris and I'm not sure who in the other direction."

We did just that. I had to admit that I enjoyed riding and had gotten in plenty of practice in the last two months. We headed over to Amos and Doris' farm and found the four of them okay with little damage. We found my truck on the way. I would strip everything out of it later but it was a total loss. The tornado faded out just beyond their house so we started back to check the other end of its path.

We went by our house seeing Judith and Bethany picking up small bits and pieces of things. We followed the path to find a house totally destroyed along with its barn and out buildings. There was only one corner left vertical. I could see a car I recognized and knew that some of our people had been there. We approached slowly. Once close, I got off my horse along with Jane and we tied them to a piece of fence. We started to go through the wreckage of the house looking for survivors or dead bodies.

We found one of the older ladies crushed by a falling wall of the house. We kept looking for her husband and found him with a broken leg and a bruised head. He was just regaining consciousness when we found him.

He looked at Jane and said, "Martha?" She could only shake her head. He groaned and tears came to his eyes. I pulled wreckage off him until we could move him safely. I splinted his leg and told him to stay here. I left water close.

We remounted our horses and continued to follow the path of the tornado heading again towards its beginning. The next house was demolished and Jane sobbed. "It's Abe's house."

I could hear pounding and followed the sound. I pulled off wreckage and found a door that had been blocked. I forced it open to be met by Abe and his two wives. They were shaken but unhurt. Abe wanted to go check out the condition of others.

I told him, "Abe, we have horses. You need to see to your place. Also, next door" I pointed down the path, "is Benjamin who just lost his wife and has a broken leg. I put a splint on it but he needs some care and watching over. Jane and I have horses and will finish following the track of the tornado and return. Would you three see to Benjamin?"

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.