Protection and Preservation, Book 01
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Tennessee]

I said, "It's late. Let's get to our rooms and get an early start tomorrow. I think we need to go out to the farm so Missy and Mark can pack and get ready to leave.

Bethany slept in our room on one side of Jane while I slept on the other. I was going to have to talk to Jane about these sleeping arrangements. We hadn't been married long enough and our "niece" was much too attractive to be sleeping with us. I woke up in the morning with Jane draped over my body and my erection poking her hip. She woke just a moment later. She whispered, "Hold that thought."

She rolled over, shook Bethany and whispered to her. Bethany giggled and got out of bed, grabbed her clothes and headed out to her room to dress and get ready for the day.

Jane turned back over and whispered, "You wife wants that thought! Hurry! Please, George!"

We made love like two teenagers afraid we would be caught any minute. It was fast and torrid. When we rolled apart, my wife said, "Go take a shower. We need to be getting it together."

I went in and started the water. As soon as it was warm, I got in. I finished washing my hair when I had company. It was Jane, of course. We washed each other. It may have taken a little longer but it was fun and, in the end, we were just as clean. We got out and dried off. I shaved. We dressed. We packed our bags and left the room headed for our trucks. I did my usual watch before going out but, as usual; there was nothing and no one there. Less than five minutes later, everyone was out and we mounted up. Doris and Missy got in the back seat area of Amos' truck. As they got in, I told Amos to lead out for breakfast and then to Mark's farm.

Amos pulled in at a Denny's and we trooped inside after breaking in. We found enough food to give Jane something to prepare for another great meal. I contributed by making coffee. Missy joined Bethany in being in awe of my wife as they helped Doris set the table. Amos helped Jane with breakfast. He was a good breakfast cook Jane later told me. We ate a good breakfast and were enjoying coffee and tea. There was no milk that wasn't spoiled.

Jane said, "Mark, tell us more about your farm."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Please, I may look like an old married woman but just call me Jane. Ma'am makes me feel old."

"Yes, Ma, I mean, Jane. Anyway, the farm was where we were raised. Dad and Mom never hid the fact that we were adopted in love. They told us that they didn't just have us. They chose for us to be their children. They were great people. I loved them and miss them a lot."

Jane nodded. "There are a lot of people who we miss."

"The farm was Dad's joy. He had done well as a stock trader but, when he and Mom decided to adopt, they liquidated and moved back to Bristol buying the farm. We came into their lives two months after they bought the farm. Dad was a good farmer and tried new things if he thought improvement would result. He always wanted the farm to be better.

"He and Mom treated us the same way. They loved us and applauded our achievements but still looked to us doing better." His eyes teared and Missy was crying quietly into Doris' side. He took a deep breath. It's not big but Dad used the land well and was teaching me as he learned himself. We grew feed corn, raised chickens and pigs and had a small truck garden.

"Except for seed, we could be independent. During the summer, we might not go into town for a month except for church. It was a quiet, good life. I hope I can be a good farmer like my Dad."

Jane said, "You will get that chance. I have five hundred acres in western Tennessee that has been in my family for four generations including me. When my parents were killed in a car wreck, I talked our neighbor. He cares for it and we share any profit. Abe is a good man and might still be alive. He doesn't own a phone, radio, or TV. He's a widower and would be in his early sixties now. His farm was next door. I grew up as much at his house as at mine when I was little. College and graduate school kept me away but it was always good to return. That's where George and I are leading you."

We packed Mark and Missy's personal items. Mark wanted to bring some of the animals. To do that required a trip into town to get a big truck and a couple of horse trailers and a smaller enclosed trailer. We wouldn't be as mobile but would know we would have some starter animals and seed for Jane's farm. I hoped Abe survived. I would like to meet the old man and tell him what a wonderful person my wife is. All that took another day.

Bethany, Amos, and Doris stayed at the farm with Missy and Mark while Jane and I went two doors down and moved in for a night. The house next door smelled of death. I think Bethany stayed for two reasons. First, she may have felt her presence was inhibiting Jane and I. Second, there was also a noticeable interest developing between her and Mark. At any rate, we all ate together and then Jane and I jumped in our truck and went two doors down. Out here, that was almost a mile away!

We enjoyed our privacy exuberantly eventually falling asleep in each other's arms. We woke up rested and happy. We cleaned up, dressed, and met the others at the farm. Loading the animals took time. Amos would drive his truck with a large trailer behind him. He was comfortable doing that and Mark would take the new truck and the other big trailer. I would have the small trailer behind my truck. That left me more mobile than the others so Jane and I took the lead when we left in the late morning. Doris and Missy were in Amos' truck. Bethany would ride with Mark and Jane was, of course, with me. We weren't far from Knoxville and reached there just before lunchtime.

As we rode, I talked with Jane about raiding the University of Tennessee library for reference material on as many subjects as we could imagine. She agreed if we could do it safely. We could stay in the dorms or houses nearby. We were coming in from the east and had noticed an overcast aura in front of us. As we got closer, we could see what it was. There was smoke rising in a big way from the downtown area!

I pushed the button to activate the emergency flashers and pulled to one side of the road. I looked at Jane and she looked worried. We left the truck and walked back to Mark's truck to be met by Doris, Missy, and Amos coming from the back.

Amos said, "It looks like someone was careless with matches. The question is, 'Was it nature or did people set it?'"

"That's why I pulled over. Jane and I had talked and we were thinking to raid the UT library. Now, just getting through may be a problem. We can roll up the windows on the trucks, but what about the animals?"

Mark looked worried, "I'm not sure but it won't be good for them. It depends upon how bad the smoke gets."

Jane said, "I'm with Amos. How did this fire start? If it's natural, then okay. But, if it's not, we may have a problem. There could be some bad people in there."

I said, "Let's get the maps out and see if there is a good route around the city. There's not much wind but there is a river to consider. We need to think this through."

Amos said, "Look at the signs. There is an exit up ahead with services. We figure this out over lunch and get through this afternoon." I nodded. We went back to our vehicles and got off the Interstate at the exit.

We found a fast food place with power and food. Jane and Doris cooked a lunch of burgers without buns and fries while we mulled over the maps. While we ate, we indicated the route that Amos and I had figured to Jane and Doris for their comments. The real concern was how the fire came to be. Would we have to fight?

There was really no answer to those questions. Discretion being the better part of valor, we would go around watching carefully. I suggested that we slow down to give us more time to look around for traps or any indications of friendly life. We agreed to do that. With Jane and I leading off, we made our detour around Knoxville. We couldn't stay on Interstates initially but did utilize main roads.

We were heading for I-640 and would then follow it around to regain I-40 on the other side of Knoxville. We could have retraced our route but chose to cover new ground deeming the Interstate not that vital. That decision worked. We made it to I-640 without incident, staying outside the area of the fire. The smoke never was bad where we traveled.

As we were about to regain I-40, we saw a car come out of Knoxville on I-40. It was a mid-sized car and looked to be full of people. Jane and I slowed the others and then moved forward to meet them with our flashers turned on.

We stopped on the intersection and had a great sight distance in every direction. The car came toward us and stopped about a hundred feet away. Two men and two women got out. Jane got out as the truck was a little bit sideways to them. She was only be partially shielded by the door. She stepped out onto the pavement and shouted, "Who are you and what do you want?"

One of the men shouted back, "We are Cindy and Jim Bagwell with Margie Allen and Robert Thomas. We had lived in Knoxville until today. Do you know anything about the fire?"

Jane said, "No. We're from Virginia and heading west. Let's talk." She held her hands out showing that she wasn't carrying a weapon other than a holstered pistol.

The one named Jim shrugged and said, "That works for me." He and Cindy started forward and were quickly followed by Margie and Robert.

I got out and went with Jane. She said, "We're Jane and George Andrews from Virginia. The rest of our party is coming up behind us in a moment in two more trucks. Would you tell me your histories and what you know of the fire?"

Robert said, "I think the fire was set. There had been no storms and we haven't heard any explosions. It started yesterday morning in toward the middle of town and spread pretty easily. The only other possibility I can think of is electrical. When something failed, a short could have been created and the fire came from that.

"We know there are other small groups like us who were living close in. We've seen signs of them and even talked to one group of six. Everybody has been careful but no clashes that we've seen.

"My story is simple. I was married and lost my wife to the virus. Margie and Fred lived on the same street and Fred died of the virus, too. We ran into each other and have been hanging around ever since." Margie nodded.

Cindy said, "Jim and I had dated and were getting serious. When the virus started to spread, he called me and asked me to marry him. He warned me that it might be a short marriage but that we made a good couple. If the virus didn't get us, maybe we could last." She grinned. "So far, so good." Jim blushed a bit but grinned, too.

We told the quick version of our story. By then, the rest of our group had caught up with us and joined us standing out on the Interstate. Finally, Amos said, "Why don't you folks join us? Knoxville won't be much after the fire. Jane has a farm west of here a ways and we figure to set up housekeeping there. More people would make things easier on everyone of us."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.