Aging Well 2, the Sequel
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Sandy writes]

Jack told me that Gretchen was on her way because Mack's house was without power. Mack was still at the hospital but would join us when he could.

I suggested that Jack call Becky and John and invite them over if they have problems.

Jack called John first. He and Pam were fine and both were at work. Their power had never been off. Jack invited them over anyway for supper. He called Becky. She and Mark would come over. Their house was without power and their company was in the same fix. Everyone there had the day off. Gretchen arrived first quickly followed by Becky and Mark.

I prepared lunch for everyone. I sent Gretchen up to wake Chastity and David. As the three came down the stairs, she was gently kidding them about sleeping together. Chastity said, "We were just sleeping. Nothing has happened." She paused for effect and added, ''Yet!"

David blushed.

I served a light lunch in the dining room. After prayer, we ate and talked.

David said, "Chastity and I are going to start studying for our ham radio licenses. After the power went out last night, Jack was on and heard about the problems on I-475. I was called in and could tell my Captain about it. He assigned me there. When we arrived, our radios and cell phones would not work.

"Frank, the ham radio guy, was there and he hooked up to another who got our dispatch on his phone. They handled our communications flawlessly. They stayed with us until our radios were back on the air. It was marvelous to listen to them. They also handled communications for another squad on the bridge and still another at a demolished building. The controller had to keep our dispatch straight about who was where but he never missed a beat.

"He was up all night. I found out later he is seventy-six and can hardly walk. He stayed up and alert all night."

Chastity's eyes were shining. "David was there all night. We just lay down for a nap after breakfast. I want him to go back upstairs and rest for a while."

He grinned. "Only if I have my same bed warmer with me." Chastity blushed bright red but nodded happily.

Gretchen said, "Mom, are you going to let them sleep together without commitment?"

I said, "So far, that's all they are doing and they are wearing their clothes. If the last changes, I will cross that bridge when I get to it." I chuckled. Both of them were blushing now. I smiled at them and said, "Shoo!" They left quickly. I didn't hear the door close upstairs.

We sat around downstairs while Jack went into the radio area. We all soon joined him listening to family and friends. Jack passed the mike to me and I said, "Good morning, everyone. We had bad storms here and lost power for most of the night. Our daughters, Becky and Gretchen, are here. I'm going to turn the mike to each of them and have them say hello and tell a little of what happened last night. Becky, please go first."

"Good morning. I am Becky here with my husband, Mark. We had no power since late last night nor does our company's office. Everybody is off today and Mom was nice enough to invite us over. Her meals are always worth a small trip. I still take cooking lessons. Here's Gretchen, Dad's valkyrie."

"Good morning from Gretchen. Mack was called to the hospital last night and, when Poppa invited me, I came over. Mack and I love being over here. Mom and Poppa are always welcoming and they're fun to be around. I'll turn the mike back to Mom."

I said, "This is NJ4SN. Chastity is helping David rest from last night. He's with the police and was called in. He worked a big area that probably had a tornado go through it crossing a busy Interstate. Next time he's awake, I will get more information but the police radios were knocked out and they used a patchwork of hams to communicate back to their dispatcher. He was very complimentary and he is even more determined to get licensed. He was here with Chastity yesterday morning. We are all well with the only loss being power.

"I believe it's Andrew's turn. Go ahead, Pop. W5AVN from NJ4SN."

"NJ4SN from W5AVN. Thank you, Sandy. It's good to know that you are all okay from the storm. It's also good to hear from two of Jack's three daughters. Sarah and I send all of you our love. We'll be there Sunday for Gretchen's wedding. I think she ought to make Mack wear a Viking headdress and she could wear a silver helmet with wings to complete the image. Go ahead, Bert. W5AVN." As he released the mike switch, you could hear the laughter.

Gretchen reached out her hand as she laughed. She said, "That's the pattern. Mack is going to carry me, as his battle axe, and I have a big broadsword. We should make an impression! NJ4JN."

Bert was laughing loudly as he keyed his mike. "W5AVN and NJ4JN from K5GSA. I have a picture of that in my mind! Gretchen, you will be a lovely bride. I want to see Jack walk you down the aisle to your shining knight. I hope Andrew will give me a ride. K5DJR from K5GSA. What do you think of that, John?"

"K5GSA from K5DJR. I think I would like to see that. I'm guessing that Sandy and all Jack's daughters will be there. Andrew has shown me pictures of the five lovely ladies. I'm guessing Gretchen is the tall one"

The fun and laughter went on for over thirty more minutes before I finally called a halt and extracted us from being on the air. We sat around the living room just enjoying being together. Jack was in the middle of the couch with his arms around Gretchen and me. They looked comfortable and I know I was with my husband's arm around me. Becky and Mark looked happy and quiet. It was almost lunchtime when Chastity and David joined us smiling together. The thought crossed my mind that this was getting serious very quickly.

Chastity directed David to the recliner. After he sat down, she climbed into his lap with her arms around his neck and kissed him very thoroughly. They ended the kiss smiling into each other's eyes. I thought that it was definitely getting serious.

Gretchen looked at her friend and long-time roommate. "Do we need to plan a double wedding?"

Chastity's laugh had a delightful ring. "Not unless you want to delay yours for a while. We are enjoying getting to know each other." She bent forward and kissed David hard and long.

He finally sputtered into voice. "She is using me for her pleasure! Help!"

Gretchen laughed. "You're the one with the handcuffs. Put her in bracelets and she will have to do as you say."

Chastity smiled, "My powers of persuasion are enough to keep them off me. Besides, he enjoys being in my power almost as much as I am his." She gave him a quick kiss. "It's fun to have my very own personal policeman." Everyone laughed but David looked thoughtful though content. He gave her a quick hug.

Gretchen's phone rang and she retrieved it from her pocket and answered it. "Mack, darling! I'm at Mom and Poppa's house because the power is out at ours. Come over here, love. I need a lap." She was quiet for a moment. "Showers and beds are here. So is my hot body!" She listened grinning. "See you very soon, love." She looked up at the rest of us. "I thought he would see the light!" She smiled happily.

Jack said, "That's my valkyrie!"

"Poppa, would you walk with me across the street. I want to make sure it's clean and my bed is made up. He did sound tired. He will need a nap and a bath before that."

Gretchen and Jack left holding hands. Becky and Mark were on the love seat snoozing while I went into the kitchen to prepare a light lunch. Chastity came into the kitchen and started helping. "Sandy Mom, what do I do?"

I smiled slightly and said, "About what?"

She frowned and looked very serious. "About David and me."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.