Aging Well 2, the Sequel
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Sandy writes]

Joyce said, "I wanted to ask you about that. My daughter is a churchgoer but her spiritual walk has become much more solid in the last couple of years. When we have talked about it, both your names play heavily in that discussion. She seems to have found in the two of you a spirit that she covets to have become part of her life."

I said, "Jack is the leader. When we're in town, he is a frequent teacher of our Sunday school class at our Presbyterian church. His Biblical knowledge and insights are compelling. He lives that life openly and simply. I think people can sense his caring and Christian love for them. I know I do. I feel that I am a stronger Christian just for having known my husband and seeing his life.

"We've had some very serious discussions with both our love children in addition to the fun of teasing him. They love him, too."

Jack said, "We all need to get some rest. I think we'll run early, eat early, and then get to the hospital when it opens for visitors."

Missus Jones was tired and we all went upstairs to the bedrooms. Jack and I lay in our bed and whispered before falling asleep in each other's arms.

We woke early and made a quick run. We returned to shower and then were dressed and in the kitchen when Joyce joined us. I made breakfast. After Jack prayed, the three of us ate. We were only started when Gretchen and Mack knocked. Jack invited them in and I made breakfast for them, too. They were on their way to get their marriage license and then would come to the hospital. Gretchen had one meeting in the morning but was planning to take the rest of the day off and be available for Chastity.

Gretchen said, "My car wouldn't crank. The starter would turn over but it wouldn't crank up. I fear that we're not done with Joel Grayson."

Mack said, "I will ride with you to the hospital and Gretchen can take my car for her meeting. We will pick up the license later today. This guy is subject to a police search. I hope we don't find him first." He looked at Gretchen. "My love, there is a forty-five automatic under the front seat. You know what he looks like and Chastity said he had a pistol. You know how to use the forty-five. If he shows up, use it."

She smiled grimly. "Yes, dear."

We finished our meal and Gretchen helped me clean up. Jack said, "Mack is right, Gretchen. We know he has Chastity's phone. Be careful. He may know where you work."

I said, "Unless anyone has something we need to address, let's head out. Gretchen, why don't you lead? We can follow you for a bit."

We took Sandy's car. It was bigger and not known. I had Jack drive. He came down with his pistol in its holster loaded and ready. When we went into the garage and got in my sedan with the pistol placed under the driver's seat. Gretchen went out the front door and pulled out in his Mustang. We waited a moment and saw another car pull out from down the street. We opened the garage door and backed to the road and waited while the other car went by. It had one man in it.

Jack pulled in behind it. Jack said, "Mack, call Gretchen. Get a description of Grayson and his car if she knows it." He nodded and did. We were following Mack's Mustang at a considerable distance. Gretchen didn't know Grayson's car but his description matched the man in the car that we saw pull out.

Mack said, "Jack, the description matches the guy. What do we do?" Mack still had his phone at his ear.

Jack said, "We'll run around a block. Mack, tell Gretchen to turn right on Sims and then right again on Butler. When she turns right again on Randolph, we'll be at that corner. We'll follow her again, then. If he still follows, we'll still be following him and call the police. She can turn right to continue on to work while we track Grayson."

We fell back a bit further. We turned right almost the same time as Gretchen. We came to Butler and turned left. A block later, we saw Gretchen come to Randolph. Grayson's car was closer to the Mustang. Gretchen turned right followed by Grayson. We turned left behind it. Jack said, "Sandy, call 9-1-1. Tell them what is happening, give them the tag number. Mack, stay on the line with Gretchen. Tell her what's happening."

I called the 9-1-1 operator and told her what was happening along with the information we had. I added that this is an active investigation in a rape and we needed cars dispatched immediately. The operator put me on hold for an instant. A new voice came on, "This is Officer Andrews in Dispatch. We are bringing cars in behind you. What are you driving?"

I said, "My husband is driving a silver Camry. We headed south on Forrest behind the other two."

"Very good. Do you have contact with the front car?"

"Yes. Her fiancé is with us and has her on his phone."

"Very good. Tell her to keeping going straight on Forrest. You've done the box so she knows he's following her and he has to know that she knows. Unless he tries something, we'll just have a parade while I gather cars. Hold on."

I had the phone on speaker and could hear Mack giving Gretchen instructions over his phone. We rode along. Jack said, "I see a car with two people in it pull in behind us."

Andrews said, "The car you see behind you is an unmarked car with two detectives in it. They will pass you in a moment. You may continue to follow but hang well back. Do you understand?"

I said, "Yes. We will follow." We were passed and continued to follow the cars.

We made a quiet parade with the detectives closing up and falling back twice. Andrews said, "Stay back now and be ready to stop. We're going to box him off."

Suddenly, two marked police cars pulled in front of Grayson. Their lights were on but no sirens. The detectives tightened up behind Grayson and the three cars slowed down with lights going on all three. Grayson had no real choice but to slow with them. I heard Mack talk to Gretchen telling her to keep going. The police car in front of Grayson slowed down some more while the one next to it slowed even faster blocking him in. The detectives' car stayed right on his bumper. He was forced to a stop with no choice but to jump the curb to a guard rail on his right. They stopped him. The policeman in the car sitting next to him had his pistol pointed at his head. The man and woman in the front patrol car came out of their car with their pistols drawn. The detectives had done the same.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.