Refugees
Appendix: Advice and Suggestions

Copyright© 2014 by Zipper D Dude

Note: These e-mails are included here for background information. They are referred to by Tribune Nevin in Chapter One.


From: Tribune Leo Nevin, Head of Kindertransport Program

To: Sub-Decurion Nicholas Kavanagh

Subject: Issues Concerning Escardis

Sub-Decurion,

We are getting indications that the Arab League may approach us shortly to negotiate carrying some of their people from Earth to their colony on Escardis. With the Swarm already here, and the Salah al-Din returning to Escardis, they no longer have their own transport capability. Either they all stay on Earth and fight, or they try to get more colonists to Escardis on our ships.

Since you worked with the Arabs during the Salah al-Din's last visit, I would like to pick your brains for ideas and suggestions about both the negotiations and the actual transfer, assuming any negotiations are successful.

Nevin


From: Sub-Decurion Nicholas Kavanagh

To: Tribune Leo Nevin

Subject: Re: Issues Concerning Escardis

Tribune,

1. The Negotiations

I think it is worth negotiating seriously with the Arabs. At most their colony can absorb only a few thousand more people, so the numbers involved will not be large; perhaps ten or fifteen thousand at most. Without the help of Confederacy technology, their ability to assimilate new colonists on Escardis is strictly limited. Removing so few people from Earth should not greatly impact the ability of those left behind to fight the Swarm. There are also some potential advantages for ourselves, such as a small increase in the genetic diversity of the Diaspora.

I don't think that the Arabs will want to see us as offering them pity or a consolation prize, so we will need to charge them a price for our services. I suggest starting negotiations at two concubines for us in payment for every one of their people we carry. We can allow them to negotiate us down to 1.5:1 or even 1:1 if necessary.

Assuming that Escardis takes 15,000 colonists, we would gain 30,000 new people, mostly concubines. We have the capacity on our normal colony transports to absorb that number: 30,000 people is 12% of a single Cube Ship, and the load would be spread over several years. Maybe something like 1% each of three Cube Ship journeys per year for four years. That would also allow us to disperse the Arabs among different colonies, rather than concentrating them all in one place. Obviously these rough estimates need to be reworked once we have better figures available. As I explain below, I see our share as being primarily female concubines and dependents. Adult and near-adult males would normally stay behind to fight the Swarm if they are not going to Escardis.

Related to numbers, there may be tension between Escardis, which can only accept limited additional population, and the Arab League, who will likely want to send as many new colonists as possible, particularly those from influential families. In that case, we may be able to offer our services as honest brokers. In any case we will have to pass messages for them between Earth and our station orbiting Escardis. The Salah al-Din is currently in transit with 4,500 new colonists who will also need to be absorbed. That may reduce the numbers Escardis will want us to ship to them until after the Salah al-Din has arrived.

We should ensure that we have the right to offer the option of a place in the Confederacy to any of the people they wish to send to Escardis. Given that we will already have numerous concubines as part of their payment, we would only make such an offer to sponsor level individuals. We already sort sponsors in the Kindertransport program, rejecting those who would not be suitable. In this case we could ship those we reject to Escardis, AIs permitting, rather than leaving them on Earth. I would be reluctant to see too many suitable sponsors slip through our fingers. Obviously we would only take those who accepted our offer.

They will not want us selecting people for their colony, so I suggest that they do the initial choice of who they wish to send, together with a list of alternates. We must retain the right to reject any on the main list, filling the gaps with suitable alternates. We will only work from their lists. We can provide guidance – no post-menopausal women for example – but I think the initial selection is better left to the Arabs. Escardis is their colony after all. We need to explain the restrictions the AIs put on who we can ship away from Earth, so they are aware of the limitations on what we can do for them. For example, the AIs are likely to be unhappy about shipping anyone with an 'all infidels must die' mindset off Earth. They would be seen as a danger to the wider Confederacy, given that the Arabs have their own spaceship.

We should confirm whether or not the Arabs want to send only intact families to Escardis. If we reject one member, they may want to withdraw the entire family from consideration. That is a decision for them, not for us, so we can go along with their preference.

I see a broadly similar process for the concubines we will be taking for our own colonies. They will choose who to offer us, and we will decide who to take from the selection they provide. Again they can supply a list of alternates to replace those we reject from the main list. We can be stricter with the guidance for this group. Basically I see us putting them through the same initial processing we use for Kindertransport candidates, though there are likely to be proportionately more adults. The emphasis will be on concubine females, together with a few sponsors of both sexes. Male concubines are not useful to us and male dependents age eleven and over will be rejected if their CAP estimate is not up to scratch, as we already do in the Kindertransport program.

I am not sure that we want to have most of these women in the Kindertransport program. There, they would each be influencing seven children, and I do not think that they would all be sufficiently knowledgeable about the Confederacy. It might be best if the bulk of them go into the existing concubine pools on the moon, so they are more directly under the control of the Civil Service or a sponsor. The Arabs have put out a lot of misleading information about us to their people. We want to counter that as quickly as possible. That is another point to negotiate on; they could rein in their anti-Confederacy propaganda.

2. Transfer to Escardis

Given that reception facilities on Escardis are likely to be limited, and the probable numbers involved, we should use Auroras to do the transfer, since Kilopods and Cube Ships are too large. One pod would be reserved for the CSO in charge of concubines and the bulk of the remaining 95 pods would be in the usual colony transport configuration. The CSO pod could be the same as the CSO pod on a Kindertransport ship, including the additional facilities that may prove useful during the voyage. Allowing one family per remaining pod, and assuming that the families comprise one husband, four wives plus any dependents, that would be 95 x 5 = 475 adult colonists per ship. The number of passengers could be increased by utilizing some Kindertransport-style pods with up to 24 adults bunked in each. A few such pods will probably be needed anyway, for reasons I outline below.

At about five hundred adults per journey, I estimate two or three trips in each of the first two years, possibly increasing to three or four trips annually after the Salah al-Din's passengers have been absorbed. With a relatively small load on each ship, we can reduce the strain on Escardis by not having too many people arriving at once. Arrivals can be scheduled three to six months apart. Obviously, we need to consult with the authorities on Escardis about the timing of the transfers.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.