Guardian Awakening
Chapter 24: End Game

Copyright© 2014 by C. Osborne Rapley

A movement caught Tristan's eye. An injured crewman had hidden beneath a console and was turning a pistol towards him. Tristan drew his pistol and shot the man in the head. He turned at the sound of movement behind just as the Captain launched herself at him. He sidestepped and shot her, and she hit the deck dead.

He holstered the pistol as he ran over to Aesia's prone body. Gently putting his arm under her he rolled her over. Her eyes flickered open and tears ran down her cheeks. The shot had passed right through the middle of her chest, missing her heart by inches. There was no blood, the heat had cauterised the flesh as the beam passed through her body.

She trembled in his arms. "Aesia, stay with me." She smiled faintly, reached up and touched his face. Her eyes closed, and she went limp. Tristan lay her gently down on the deck.

Everything came into sharp focus, his whole body cold like ice. The controls for the dampening field had to be here somewhere. He sprang to his feet, scanning the consoles for anything, something he did not recognise. He moved from console to console his movements swift and sure. He kept his mind focused, holding onto the coldness and detachment like a crutch, keeping the thought of Aesia dying or dead from overwhelming his senses.

The life support console had a small panel with a green light that slowly dimmed and brightened in time with the small fluctuations he could sense in the dampening field. That's it! It has to be it. His hands shook as he turned the key switch below the light. The light turned red. His hands clenched into fists, his breathing stopped. No Difference! Oh God.

He moved to the next console, his mouth was dry now. He felt faint; he had forgotten to breathe, Guardian? The thought seemed far away.

Cassiopeia, is that you?

Yes Tristan. Stronger now

Tristan felt his heart leap in his chest. He whirled round, rushing over to Aesia's limp form, and he picked her up, holding her close.

Cassiopeia, can you transport two?

Yes, if you keep the other person close.

Your medical bay. NOW.

The lurch, and he was standing in the spotless whiteness of the small medical bay in Cassiopeia's bunker. An avatar was standing by the single medibed.

Tristan, with a single stride, stood above the bed and gently lay Aesia down.

"Tristan, my protocols will not allow me to heal the Sicceian."

It took a moment before Tristan realised what the avatar had said. "Cassiopeia, you have to be fucking joking!" Tristan felt anger rise from the pit of his stomach threatening to overwhelm him. "Heal her NOW, you stupid bitch."

The avatar backed away from him and shook her head. "I'm sorry, I can only act on a Guardian or another if a Guardian's life is at stake."

"Then scan her! You can do that?"

"Yes but..."

Tristan clenched his fists resisting the urge to grab the avatar around the neck and squeeze. "But nothing! Do it!" he growled.

A semicircular arm came from the foot of the bed and slowly moved along Aesia's body. "Her life signs are very weak, Guardian ... Oh!" The Avatar manipulated controls at the side of the Medibed. "Healing protocols engaged."

"How long will it take?"

"I don't know, her injury is extensive. I can't guarantee she will recover, I'm sorry Tristan."

"Right, please do your best."

"Yes, of course."

Tristan bent down and kissed Aesia. Her cold skin made his chest tighten. Cassiopeia, where is Tristain?

Playing with one of my avatars in her room.

Don't let her know about Aesia until you know the healing is working and she has regained consciousness.

As you wish.

Now meet me in the conference room please.

The conference room was situated across the corridor from the medical bay, so Tristan did not have to walk through the main living quarters.

Cassiopeia stood waiting for him.

"Why are you avoiding Tristain?" she asked.

Tristan sighed and sat down. "Because as soon as we finish here I have to leave again. If she sees me, she will ask questions, and the answers will upset her. While she is happy playing leave her."

Cassiopeia sighed. "All right, Tristan. Now, what did you need to discuss?"

The Sicceians are constructing something on that large asteroid. Can you access the details from my memory, please." There was a slight tingling as the AI accessed his mind. "Are you able to identify what it is?"

"Yes."

Tristan ground his teeth. "Well, what is it for God's sake?"

"A matter transfer drive system."

"Why would they build a drive system on the surface of an asteroid?"

"That size of drive would be capable of moving the asteroid."

Tristan gasped. "They are going to crash that asteroid into Mylia."

"Something that large would destroy all life on the surface. It might even knock the planet out of orbit."

"I have to destroy that drive system, Cassiopeia."

"Yes, Tristan the loss of life would be enormous if you don't. If you just damage the drive there is a chance they could rebuild the system. The best option would be total destruction."

"So how can I accomplish that level of destruction?"

"The drive uses energy fields to accelerate the matter, the ice core of the asteroid in this case, building a considerable thrust. The fields will also regulate the matter flow ensuring there is no overload in the system. If you reverse the fields then the reaction will be into the core, causing a massive overload. The resulting explosion would destroy everything within a hundred mile radius."

"Well that would stop them rebuilding it! Have you sufficient knowledge of this type of drive to give me instructions on how to reverse the fields? If so give them to me now please." The tingling returned. Before he could take a breath, he knew everything about the drive systems the Sicceian's were using to move the asteroid. He felt something warm on his upper lip. He wiped it with the back of his hand. His nose was bleeding.

"That is a normal side effect when using instant knowledge transfer, Tristan."

"Not a problem, Cassiopeia. Can you modify my armour to look like Sicceian armour?"

"Yes, it is done. Where do you want me to send you?"

"I noticed a small crater off to one side of the pit. Can you send me there, please."

"Yes of course, are you ready?"

"Yes." Tristan crouched down just as he felt the lurch. The white ceiling became inky black space with the glowing silver band of the Milky Way stretching from horizon to horizon. Either side of the band it faded to individual stars. The Milky Way from this region of space never failed to take his breath away. He glanced round, there was no one nearby, so he moved to the edge of the crater, lay on his stomach, and peered over.

The plain below, with the pit at the centre, was full of activity. The open gantry framework partly concealed the large doughnut structures stacked one above the other, the field acceleration control for the drive system. Off to his right, the concrete building projected from a low cliff on the edge of the plain. He watched the building. There were doors along the base, two small recessed ones either end and large double doors in the centre. The cables that ran from the gantry structure entered the building at the side closest to him. The building currently seemed deserted. All the work centred on the pit, with many suited figures working on the frame. As he watched, a group broke away and started walking towards the concrete building. If they continued on their course, they would pass the edge of the ridge where he was hiding.

He moved back from the ridge and worked his way to a gap that opened on the path the Sicceians were taking. He waited, heart thumping in his chest, the only sound was the rasping of the air regulator with every breath. When the Sicceians passed they would have their backs to him. The group walked close to the gap as Tristan had hoped. He waited until the last one walked by then, taking a deep breath, he stepped out behind them. He held his breath, no one broke their stride or looked back. He took another deep breath and sighed as he fell into step. His sudden appearance had gone unnoticed.

As the group neared the building, Tristan started to hang back. He ducked quickly into the first door recess as the group passed.

He stood still in the shadows for a few moments just in case any of them should look back. The Sicceians carried on, seemingly unaware of him.

Once they had moved away, he turned to examine the door. It was the outer door of a simple manual airlock. The glass portholes showed an area beyond full of cabinets.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.