Internal Affairs
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2014 by MysteryWriter

Rose decided that she should use her cell phone to order take out pizza. She also decided that they could stop to pick it up on the way to her apartment. After roger retrieved the pizza, she drove straight to a tall concrete condo building near the Governmental plaza.

"Nice place," Roger said upon seeing the inside.

"Corporate welfare," Rose explained. "It's owned by the company. When someone higher up the food chain comes along, I can be asked to move out. In the meantime we can enjoy the view. I never get tired of looking down on the little people," she said with a laugh.

She went into the galley kitchen before opening the pizza box. The Pizza Place had included paper plates with the order. The only thing for Rose to do was open the Gulf Coast boutique beer.

"It's really good pizza, but most any pizza is good. Three months on the farm left me with a high regard for familiar junk food," Roger explained while waving a slice around.

"Those three months probably saved your life," Rose replied.

"Yes I agree. Of course I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it. Like they all say, I'm just climbing the mountain one rock at a time, or is it moving ahead one mile at a time?" Roger asked.

"I get it. You are a walking cliché," Rose suggested.

Two pieces of pizza and Roger was through. "So where is this roommate that might like me?"

Instead of answering Rose went to one of the bedrooms to open the door. A black cat jumped up at her repeatedly. It was the way a small dog would have greeted her.

"Roger Everhart meet Bella the cat," she said. "She is good company and she doesn't empty my refrigerator."

"That would make her the perfect roommate alright," Roger agreed.

"She has on occasion stolen the heart of a boyfriend," Rose suggested. "Now that we have eaten, I'll show you to your room, while I design your system."

The bedroom was half the size of his tiny house. It also had it's own bathroom. The bathroom connected to the hall hallway as well. That feature allowed it to be either a private bath or the main bath depending on which door was locked.

"I'm going to order up your security, so watch TV or something. I don't care what you do just leave me to it." she demanded.

"Does this building have wifi," Roger asked.

"Of course its stream is called 'the building' Password is 'bluesky'," she informed him.

Roger went to his room to check his email, and to answer Hillary's inquiry as to his health. After his decision not to purchase 'the little blue pills' online, he move on to check the name Acme Security. He found several entries but nothing with a local address. She could be a local contractor with no official status. She could also be an agent with any of a half dozen government agencies who were tasked with keeping tabs on him. They would be one step closer to him for sure with their own cameras in place. His plan was simple, allow them to put all the hardware in place, then hijack the software.

He was up late watching a TV show from the night before. The show was an international phenomena. It was a very off beat cop show. It was so off beat it ran in three different versions, in three different languages.

The show had exactly the same plot line, and even the same characters, but somehow each version was a little different.

He watched the latest two episodes because he had missed the previous episode. That was the beauty of the online TV shows, they were all there waiting for me. That and the variety of the offerings. there was everything from gold mining in Greenland show to a show about chasing big foot. There were docudramas, as well as the scripted TV shows from all over the world.

"What are you doing in here all alone," Rose asked peeking in his door.

"Internet porn," he said.

She walked over to see the screen on his laptop. "So you find house renovations erotic?" she asked.

"Well you have to admit there is something sexy about a building contractor with her boobs hanging out," Roger said.

"I will admit that it is not something you see everyday," Rose commented. "So are you going to be okay?"

"I would be better if you would come to bed," he said.

"The idea was to keep you safe, not to entertain you," Rose said sternly but without any trace of anger.

"There I will watch contractor porn till I fall asleep," Roger said.

"I usually watch some wilderness docudrama till I all asleep," she said leaving the room. "By the way I lock my door and sleep with a 10mm pistol."

"I usually sleep in a Kevlar vest, just so you know," he said with a smile.

It was 6:30am when he heard dishes rattling in the galley kitchen. He stumbled out of bed, took his clean underwear into the bath, and then stepped into the shower stall. He stood under the stream of hot water for only a couple of minutes before he turned off the water. He wore the jeans from the day before, but with a clean black tee shirt. He would be tempted to wear his gang vest, if he had it with him. Instead he wore the light weight jacket that marked him as a cop. It was an old style cotton bush jacket. the kind with lots of pockets.

"So are you going to run in that," Rose asked.

"I didn't bring my running suit and shoes, so I'm going to walk two blocks to work," Roger said.

"If you want I can scramble you an egg," Rose suggested.

"No thanks, I have to have a cop breakfast," Roger explained.

"What's that?" Rose asked.

"A bagel and bad coffee at my desk," Roger said.

"Okay, come by after work and I'll give you a ride home. I can explain the workings of your new security system," Rose suggested.

"That's fine," Roger said turning toward the door.

Once he arrived at work, he found the bagel on his desk just as he expected. He took his coffee cup from the drawer, then to the break room to rinse it before filling it with bad coffee.

Hilary enter their office space with a file in her hand. "I got the employment records for Ellie Smith. I looked them over. Now I want your opinion," Hilary said.

"Sure why not," Roger agreed. After Hillary handed him the file he began reading it. According to the file Ellie was twenty five years old. Her previous work experience was clerk in a convenience store. She did it at night while she went to the criminal justice course at the community college.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.