Trying to create a new, subject related post ...
I just realized that a new story just isn't working. Unfortunately, instead of discovering this during the early first draft, I was halfway through the revision process and getting started on the editing phase. Although I knew the story had 'issues' before, I kept plugging away on it. Now, it's so far along it feels like I'm killing one of my children.
How many of you have killed stories in:
1) First few chapters (when you realize it isn't working)
2) Midway or near completion (of the first draft) when you realize the story doesn't hold together or hit a major plot hole
3) Midway through the revision cycle
4) During the editing cycle (say when a helpful editor points out a major plot hole).
5) midway through a story posting?
How are each of these phases different? And did you eventually go on to resurrect those stories, or were they completely abandoned?