This being the week of Thanksgiving, I have spent some great moments thinking about why I am thankful and have compiled the following list:
1) I am thankful for my faith because so many have nothing to guide them other than circumstances. Some may question the validity and commitment of my faith because I post on this site, but I'm too old to care about that any more, so stuff it in your pipe and smoke it.
2) I am thankful for the last year and how that faith---not circumstances---has led me to purchase a house for less than half of its appraised value in a very nice neighborhood in a small North Georgia mountain community.
3) I am thankful for the work that I have, work that I didn't have before my wife and I sold our meager property over seven hundred miles away from here and moved, once again "by faith".
4) I am thankful for the friends and family that I enjoy and for all that they bring into my life, including ideas for stories.
5) And, I am thankful for those who enjoy my writing because it encourages me to tell more of the many, many stories that I have filed away in my mind from over four decades of dealing with people.
And so that's five of my top reasons for being thankful. I have more, but they have been repeated in years past and continue to top the list.
6) I am thankful for my wife who loves me, cares for me, and is the love of my life. She was there as my friend when I went through the pain and agony of the last few gasps of a twenty-five-plus year marriage. And she was there when I faced a crippling injury, and she was there for, well, everything that life has had to offer for the last seventeen years. And she's the love of my life.